Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / Tutorial 2: Feedback
- - By Maikel Date 2010-08-31 22:44 Edited 2010-09-03 11:23
So the concept of tutorial 2 sucks, it's just to hard. We really need to design something more linear, for which I lost incentive. I am willing to do the scripts though.

clonkine, please do elaborate on the fun you had while playing it for over an hour.

Edit: I will try to create something more linear and easy.
Parent - - By clonkine [de] Date 2010-08-31 23:04
hm
my (personal) problem is that i need a strict guide through the tutorials, like in clonk rage. and pls, just ONE way to go! i did absolutely not know what to do, after the games starts. need more instructions! many instructions!

it should be explained how to change items from bagpack to chest and back. and to throw things which are only throwable with shift. the same with the grapple. and the swinging thing with the grapple. perhaps there can be a clonk (KI) who  shows it one time and the player has to imitate it.

swimming sucks ;)      is it possible to throw the flint under water? in my game it was not.

can i use both clonks the same time?

zooming is buggy... doesn't work sometimes...

thats it, for the first time...
Parent - Date 2010-09-01 09:38
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-09-01 19:31

> can i use both clonks the same time?

Nope.

> is it possible to throw the flint under water? in my game it was not.

Err dunno... probably you should be able to do it the same as you did in CR. Does that not work?

> my (personal) problem is that i need a strict guide through the tutorials, like in clonk rage.

Like in tutorial 1? You got any feedback for this?
Parent - By clonkine [de] Date 2010-09-01 21:43
nope, i have forgotten anything from tut 1, but i'll play it again...
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-08-31 23:07
Tutorial 2 is fairly difficult. As suggested in IRC, we could swap Tutorial 2 and 3 so the difficulty curve isn't weird.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-09-01 06:45
I wasn't on IRC but that decision seems a bit weird unless you show how to manage inventory in Tutorial 3 (that is going to be Tutorial 2 after swapping)
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-09-01 19:10
While working on Tut1 I was unaware inventory controls were already explained in Tut2, so I made a description of them in the first Tutorial.
Parent - By dylanstrategie [fr] Date 2010-09-03 19:50
I think that the grappler is an unecessary difficulty seriously, it's taked me a while to exit the cave whit it, and i never succesfully overcomed the ravine

A easier way to do it would be nice
Parent - - By Peewee [us] Date 2010-09-24 19:01 Edited 2010-09-24 19:07
Are you supposed to be able to take the picks near clonk #2 ?
If so, it's broken, because you can't.

Also, using 2 grapplers is buggy. If you're hanging from one grapple and shoot the other, you can no longer use the WASD controls, and the clonk gets stuck in a falling animation until you actually hit something with the second grapple.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2010-09-24 19:04
They are supposed to be decoration, did it bother you?
Parent - - By Peewee [us] Date 2010-09-24 19:09
Yes, it did. After all, this is a game about mining, so I spent several minutes trying to pick them up.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-09-24 19:21
"Ye cannot get the PICK. It is firmly bolted to a wall which is bolted to the rest of the dungeon which is probably bolted to a castle. Never you mind."
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2010-09-24 19:46
Thought that already, I made them more darker. But in any case the goal is quite clear on the fact that this tutorial is no about mining.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-09-25 01:22
I also tried to pick them up.
Remove, remove!
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-09-26 13:35 Edited 2010-09-26 13:38
I had my flatmade play through the tutorials. He knows Clonk but never played it a lot. This is what I wrote down while watching him play:

• When the tutorial guide mentioned that the goal is always shown in the upper right corner, he clicked there and left the goal-window open. Then, he tried to use the WASD keys but couldn't because the little menu was still open.

• He always read the guide's description fully and after reading tried to click it away by clicking on the message instead of on the icon on the upper right corner several times.

• zoom/scrolling needs to be explained at the start of tutorial 2 because with the standard zoom, his clonk can't see the ceiling to which he is supposed to shoot the grappler

• He tried to pick up the pickaxe several times. After the tutorial guide made the hint that he can use stuff that is standing around in the landscape, he tried to use the lorry and the wooden hut. When I explained to him that this is supposed to be decoration in the background, he said that he'd expect decoration to be more blurry, less sharp, more submerged in the background. Short: He didn't recognize the background decoration as such. I suggest to remove them because we have no possibility to somehow blur them.

• When shooting with the cannon, he tried to scroll. Scrolling is currently disabled in tutorial 2

• When shooting with the cannon, he just clicked somewhere and the cannon went off. He didn't know exactly where to shoot and thought he'd had to blow through the rock further below. An arrow to the position he has to shoot could help.

• He used two boompacks for one clonk and accidently killed himself with it. He wanted to get new boompacks from the cave but didn't find any.

• He left one grappler at the start of the level which left him with only 3 grapplers to complete the acid-lake parkour (in which he didn't succeed, he cancelled the round). Perhaps store a fourth grappler in that one chest.

• There is a rechtschreibfehler in the german translation of the explanation about holding the breath.

• The cannon still shows debug messages (probably the angle)

• He told me that it should be mentioned that it is possible to select the next crew member with (R). Otherwise the player will think this possibility doesn't exist because the tutorial didn't mention it.

• He got stuck several times in the water while diving. I think the vertices are not rotated while swimming.

• He complained that the controls seems a bit blurry but perhaps, he said, it's just my crappy laptop which lags
Parent - By B_E [de] Date 2010-09-26 16:58

>He complained that the controls seems a bit blurry but perhaps, he said, it's just my crappy laptop which lags

Concerning that, I can reproduce what he means, especially testing it directly playing a few rounds of CR. This acceleration and decellaration while starting and stopping to walk is somehow uncommon, you are used to the clonk stopping immediately after letting go the button. Maybe this should be tested a few times to find the correct speeds for this.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2010-10-03 22:39
  • It is possible to create a blocker. My girlfriend spontaneously pushed the cannon into the hole and then were unable to finisht the tut
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-10-03 23:46

> spontaneously pushed the cannon into the hole

A very destructive girlfriend you have there :P
Parent - By Maikel Date 2010-10-04 09:11
There still are alternative ways to get past there. But I'll remove this block together with the decoration problems, and there - not noted yet - problem with the guide messages for the cannon.
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / Tutorial 2: Feedback