Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / Tutorial 4: Feedback
- - By Newton [de] Date 2010-09-26 13:50
I had my flatmade play through the tutorials. He knows Clonk but never played it a lot. This is what I wrote down while watching him play:

• The AI clonks even shoot if there is solid material between them and the clonk (they shoot into the floor)

• The first AI spear clonk is a joke because he always throws the spear over the players head.

• The AI clonks shoot far too fast. The bowman is like a machine gun.

• The AI clonks shoot without any randomness and have very specific target areas where they hit (if you stop running in the field in front of the tower and put yourself in the right position, the ai clonks never hit because they either hit in front or behind the player)

• The shield was totally useless for him. First he was puzzled why he was not able to walk while holding the shield and was only able to use it while jumping when he started to use it after he started to jump. When he got used to it, he still tried to use the shield but about 40% of all hits on the shield still hit and tumbled him. He could not approach the bowman while holding the shield, so he had no other choice than to try to evase his shots. He later threw away the shield in favour of a firestone.

• Tutorial 4 is not translated into German yet.

• He skipped most of the guide messages.

Personal note: I missed the club in that tutorial.

Regarding the shield: It just should be possible to walk while holding the shield as well as jump but be slower than normal (like with the musket). The shielding-angle-arnea should be bigger.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-09-26 14:21

>The shield was totally useless for him. First he was puzzled why he was not able to walk while holding the shield and was only able to use it while jumping when he started to use it after he started to jump. When he got used to it, he still tried to use the shield but about 40% of all hits on the shield still hit and tumbled him. He could not approach the bowman while holding the shield, so he had no other choice than to try to evase his shots. He later threw away the shield in favour of a firestone.

The shield is a very strong weapon at the moment. Just a bit hard to use. I would not add back the walking right now

>The shielding-angle-arnea should be bigger.

I just recently made it smaller. Are you sure?
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2010-09-26 15:45
I find it quite hard at the moment to block enemy attacks with the shield, it is indeed rather useless in the fourth tutorial.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-09-26 15:51
That could be because shields are quite useless against machine guns. I think it will improve the shield a lot if the bowman shoots slower ;)
If it is still useless in close combat I will either have to increase the blocked-duration a bit or find out whether the block-effect does not work
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-09-26 19:31
I think the shield should be easier to block with... I was surprised how unreliable it was at blocking shots (even if pointing directly at the incoming shot).
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-09-26 21:07
I actually made it harder to block with on purpose - but I can always change it back of course
Parent - By Maikel Date 2010-09-26 15:42
Regarding the AI, this is all known and tutorial should not be in the release before this is fixed. It is on my todo list but not with a high priority.

If you know a useful situation for the club in melee fights, I'll implement it. I can only think of hitting someone down a cliff. I think making tutorials for explaining really special items like boompacks and clubs is not sensible, so we either leave them out completely or keep them as extras.
Parent - - By clonkine [de] Date 2010-09-26 18:29

>The shield was totally useless for him. First he was puzzled why he was not able to walk while holding the shield and was only able to use it while jumping when he started to use it after he started to jump. When he got used to it, he still tried to use the shield but about 40% of all hits on the shield still hit and tumbled him. He could not approach the bowman while holding the shield, so he had no other choice than to try to evase his shots. He later threw away the shield in favour of a firestone.

thats funny! i really like the shield. first time i played tut 4 i didn't know that i can chance the position of the shield. but second time i played it, i knew it. and i really like it!
it would be perfect to walk and hold the shield at the same time ;)

>Tutorial 4 is not translated into German yet.

i can do that. send me the files! (or do i have them already?)

>He skipped most of the guide messages.

thats exactly what i also do the whole time! i always forget to ask prof. clonkine, when i'm stuck.

all in all i really like tut 4! ( zoete geschleimt)
Parent - By Maikel Date 2010-09-26 19:07
Translating can be done if it is finished, I still want to change some messages.
Parent - - By Peewee [us] Date 2010-09-30 00:58 Edited 2010-09-30 03:16
-The AI clonks shoot without any randomness and have very specific target areas where they hit (if you stop running in the field in front of the tower and put yourself in the right position, the ai clonks never hit because they either hit in front or behind the player)

I vastly improved the aiming system by using some trajectory equations.
I also added spread.

-The first AI spear clonk is a joke because he always throws the spear over the players head.

Fixed spear aiming.

License: ISC
Attachment: openclonk_rev1785.patch - Tutorial4 better aiming (8k)
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-09-30 03:04 Edited 2010-09-30 03:57
Sounds good! I am reviewing it now.

Edit: Definitely much better aiming AI; the archer is not so such a rage inducingly good shot, and the javelin-thrower actually knows how to arc javelins.
Parent - By Peewee [us] Date 2010-10-01 23:38 Edited 2010-10-05 22:03
- The AI clonks even shoot if there is solid material between them and the clonk (they shoot into the floor)

I fixed this, but at a huge performance cost when they can't hit you. Working on that next.

Thanks to Guenther for helping me with SimFlight, Isilkor for correcting my style, and everybody else in the IRC for tolerating my questions.

- The AI clonks shoot far too fast. The bowman is like a machine gun.

Fixed this too.

License: ISC
Attachment: openclonk_rev1830.patch (11k)
Attachment: openclonk_rev1831.patch (11k)
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2010-09-30 14:52
  • When dying it seems like the game crashed. Nothing happens (and with the animation bug even your clonk doesn't move ;) The view should follow the moving colour thingy.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2010-09-30 18:51
Indeed, so I changed that.
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / Tutorial 4: Feedback