Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / Melees: Feedback
- - By MimmoO Date 2010-10-04 13:51 Edited 2010-10-20 16:51
I recently played some Melees with a few people, here are my thoughts:

Melee Mountain:
- The Jar of winds should go out of this. Its just too strong. also, if you get two of them, you can easily fly around, throw one and propel it onto your enemys.
- The landscape is big, i was only able to test it with 3 people, it was okay.
- Some items are just useless: Grappler, Shovel. if the jar is removed, give them a bonus: places onyl reachable by grappler or shovel, which give bonuses?
- Chests should be filled at least half by game start: otherwise the beginning if the start is not that fun, because you need to wait for the items to spawn.
- Some areas are not climbable which seem they were made to be climbable.

Ruins / The Cauldron:
- Water is too deep: you cant get to the chest without losing HP.
- Action is too concentrated in the bottom of the map: make more room in the center, make top accesible without boompack/grappler
- Who had the idea to name it "The Cauldron"? :I

King of the Pyramid:
- When the king dies, the star should remain where he died, collectable.
- The King should have an advantage, since everyone else attacks him. (move jar out of scen, give jar only to king? unlimited ammo?)
- The lower level of the Pyramid is unfun. not good to move there, gives no bonuses, and the action is going on on the top of the pyramid, since theres the star.

All Melees:
- Deko. as soon as we get it
- Ringmenu for choosing a weapon can be canceled by clicking or waiting. in this case, a random weapon should be chosen.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2010-10-04 14:24

> The Jar of winds should go out of this. Its just too strong. also, if you get two of them, you can easily fly around, throw one and propel it onto your enemys.

That doesn't only apply to this scenario but is the overall design of the jar. It is a strong weapon. It's even stronger when combined with throwing spears or the bow. If it bothers people this much, maybe we should redesign it at all.

> Who had the idea to name it "The Cauldron"? :I

I still think this is kind of a Germanism but dunno. In German "Kessel" is a fitting name but I don't know whether this translatable. According to this it's rather called pocket or Falaise pocket(?)
Parent - - By MimmoO Date 2010-10-04 16:24

>That doesn't only apply to this scenario but is the overall design of the jar. It is a strong weapon. It's even stronger when combined with throwing spears or the bow. If it bothers people this much, maybe we should redesign it at all.

yes, its pretty strong. one option would be to reduce the pushing force, maybe only for objects, but not clonks. another one is to increase the loading time, which i for me find annoying, same as adding some kind of "ammo".

>I still think this is kind of a Germanism but dunno. In German "Kessel" is a fitting name but I don't know whether this translatable. According to this it's rather called pocket or Falaise pocket(?)

i still find that weird. maybe something more into the direction of "small arena" "[ger]Kampfring" or something?
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-10-04 16:30

> yes, its pretty strong. one option would be to reduce the pushing force, maybe only for objects, but not clonks. another one is to increase the loading time, which i for me find annoying, same as adding some kind of "ammo".

We could also just drop that item completely. I mean, the windjar started a test object like the fire globe (which has been removed) to test the new possibilities of the ControlUse* interface.
Parent - By MimmoO Date 2010-10-04 18:29

>We could also just drop that item completely. I mean, the windjar started a test object like the fire globe (which has been removed) to test the new possibilities of the ControlUse* interface.

:(
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-10-04 20:13
I would at least remove it from the melees. Could turn out to be fun later, though
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-10-05 01:59
Hum. It is such a unique item though, I would hate to lose it. It also adds to the fast paced combat by considerable amounts. However, I do agree with Newton that 2x windjars is horribly cheap.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-10-05 16:22

>I do agree with Newton that 2x windjars is horribly cheap.

Isn't a windjar plus a pack of spears also horribly cheap? You probably do more damage than with throwing spears without a disadvantage.
I would agree that it is a very unique item. And therefore I would not remove it completely (like Newton wanted to) - could be fun in races for example (I think we even have windjar races?)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-10-05 17:31
hey-hey, why do people put words in my mouth? I never said that "2x windjars is horribly cheap" nor "wanted to remove" windjars.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-10-05 19:06

>2x windjars is horribly cheap

Weird. Well, I was tired when I 'quoted' that so my brain was probably just imagining things.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-10-05 21:01
I never said that with the two windjars, dunno where that came from. But "We could also just drop that item completely." sounds a lot like "want to remove" to me :P
Parent - By MimmoO Date 2010-10-05 18:44

>could be fun in races for example (I think we even have windjar races?)

Boomshire
Parent - By Isilkor Date 2010-10-05 03:51
The Falaise pocket was named for a town in the region called "Falaise". A pocket happens when a part of the front stretches out into enemy territory, and then gets cut off from the main forces (unintentionally). You may be either looking for that term, or encirclement (which may also happen intentionally, for example when you're sieged in a fortified position).
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2010-10-05 14:40
The wordplay (Kessel the cookware, Kessel as in Talkessel) is lost during translation, so maybe using the Talkessel aspect would be better than the cookware aspect. leo provides caldera and basin as options. If the fighting gets "hot", though, boiler might also fit. ;-)
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-10-05 16:19
IMO, The Basin sounds more relevant than The Cauldron

P.S. Boiler is nice too :-)
Parent - - By MimmoO Date 2010-10-05 16:36
could be used in some kind of weird backstory. building built on geysir, blah blah blah, every few minutes the geysir erups, with the water in it blowing up in the air, followed by a very short period of time when the water is gone (maybe 5-10 seconds), followed by heavy rain, just enought to refill the whole hole in the ground.

besides of this: id like to see some maps with "events", like just said geisir. hardcoded volcanoes or earthquakes could be fun. remind SSBM for gamecube, those metroid stage which lowered into acid? think like this. periodic/eventually events occuring on the map, which have an effect on the players.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-10-05 17:13
imo we should call it "ruins". That could be used for a great backstory synergizing with the (future) decoration, while still having some kind of "mysteriousness" (and it doesn't start with "The" - it's supposed to be a name and not a "which, basin again..? Ah! _That_ basin!")
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2010-10-05 20:01
The landscape closely resembles a caldera, though, while a basin evokes something plumbing related.
Parent - - By MimmoO Date 2010-10-05 21:12
the only thing is that it is made out of brick and not stone/earth/ash.
but yes, the shape is similar.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-10-06 05:24

>the only thing is that it is made out of brick and not stone/earth/ash.

True, it looks more like the remains of something.. maybe an ancient city that was left behind aeons ago? I think "ruins" would be fitting for that!
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-10-06 08:54
Ruins of a boiler room?

:-)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-10-04 16:09

>Some items are just useless: Grappler

I disagree. The grappler is very cool in this scenario. Btw you can shoot while hanging on the rope.

>- Who had the idea to name it "The Cauldron"? :I

I wanted to make the name sound more creative than just generic "ruins" (, pyramid, mountain,...).

> - When the king dies, the star should remain where he died, collectable.

IMO the killer should be the new king

>- The King should have an advantage, since everyone else attacks him.

ACK. Make him fast?

>- Deko. as soon as we get it

Aren't you proficient with blender, gimp etc?
Parent - By MimmoO Date 2010-10-04 16:21

>I disagree. The grappler is very cool in this scenario. Btw you can shoot while hanging on the rope.

Sure, but you cant attack with it, same as the shovel. and more flexibility does not grant you anything. what i actually meant: its useless to pick it as starting item imo, since you need somethig to defense yourself with: offense is the best defense

>I wanted to make the name sound more creative than just generic "ruins" (, pyramid, mountain,...).

accepted. still i find the name weird, but cant imagine something better

>IMO the killer should be the new king

think so too.

>ACK. Make him fast?

i think more movement speed is good for running away, and too much movement speed is also nasty for the player. i would think more like to see something like a small Heal-over-time, but this is also good for running away... something that makes him stronger, but for attacking.

>Aren't you proficient with blender, gimp etc?

jup. maybe ill do something in my free time the next few days.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-10-04 16:38

>IMO the killer should be the new king

Yes
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / Melees: Feedback