Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / Tutorials - Progressive Unlocking
- - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-10-21 02:13
Should the Tutorials be progressively unlocked?

• Pros: Stops players new to the game from charging ahead and playing melee weapons ('Hey, that looks like fun') and not learning the prerequisite skills needed to complete the Tutorials. This could lead to the player being frustrated that he/she doesn't understand why 'X' isn't working because they didn't learn how to properly do 'X' in the first place.

• Cons: If a player moves his files to a new computer (or has had his OC reg-files deleted) he won't be able to replay the tutorials until he completes them in succession again.

• What do you guys think? As far as I can see, though this is not the most important thing to have, the Pros certainly outweigh the Cons.
    Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2010-10-21 02:24
    We could also put a big Play-The-Tutorial-Button in the main menu and have the tutorials automatically follow each other.
    Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-10-21 02:38

>have the tutorials automatically follow each other.

In fact, they already do in game. Once you complete a tutorial you can choose to quit or go onto the next one.

As for the button, I guess that would only appear if the player has not yet played a tutorial mission yet? Might work, if it's not too much effort.
    Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-10-21 08:29
    Personally, I would like tutorials to be unlocked one after another

Other thoughts:
    If we look (for reference) at CR tutorials (as well as CE and CP since they didn't change very much) there are things that I liked there and thing that I did not:

First: Tutorials were put to the same hierarchy with all missions, settlement, races and so. (In fact I have contradictory attitude to the tree organisation of playable scenarious but these are mine problems alone). I suggest tutorials to be moved from this hierarchy (since people who have already passed them do not bother themselves from seeing tutorials folder again and again).
    EDIT: Another thought. If moving tutorials out of the scenarios hierarchy they will certainly not be available during network play.

Second: (Tutorials didn't cover all the game aspects but they didn't have too). I liked how pieces of information were given one after another from tutorial to tutorial. Even though all 10 tutorial scenarious were available right away, I prefered to play them in sequence (even forcing myself to return to the one I failed to pass before moving to the next one).

Third: There is a good idea (as stated before) to have some "Play tutorials" button but after pressing it user should be taken to the screen where he/she can choose the tutorial to play (among the available ones).

Forth: Tutorial (as well as every other) progress should be saved to the current player profile (New profile will have only 1 unlocked tutorial to play). When moving to another PC user will have to move the .openclonk folder to the new place with all the progress achieved so far. If this directory is somehow lost, he/she would have to start all over again anyway.

Fifth (and the most important): No one forces you to play tutorials if you accidentialy lost your profile. Missions, Melees, Settlements will be available right from the start, so if you are already a Clonk guru, why don't you go there and play? :-)
    Parent - By Maikel Date 2010-10-21 21:26 Edited 2010-10-21 21:28
    In my opinion the cons outweigh the pros. If someone wants to try melee weapons before movement, that is his/her choice. Whether that choice is a wise one is rather irrelevant, most importantly not for us to judge about. And I think we can rely her on the fact that people can count from 1 to 10, and follow the sequence as intended if they want to.

P.S. Someone may have tried the first few toturials at a friend's computer and then wants to complete the sequence at home.
    Parent - - By MimmoO Date 2010-10-21 21:29
    If you want to start tutorial 2 before playing tutorial one, show a dialogue:

"you serious about starting that already?! better play tut 1 bfore!"
    [no NEVER] [omg youre so clever, i should do that]
    Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-10-22 07:14
    That's probably a good idea at least; if the player hasn't beaten the tutorials, a warning could pop up suggesting they probably should do so when they attempt to start a scenario (or tutorial they haven't reached yet).
    Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-10-22 11:58
    Like dis?
    Attachment: lcocyc8r.png - Patronizing paperclip (23k)
    Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-10-23 10:18
    Brilliant xD
    I'm 100% supporting this idea :D
    Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-10-24 10:00
    Well, I don't think some massively annoying 'reminder' is required. x|
    It is likely most players will want to learn how to play the game before actually playing it, and make their own choice to play the tutorials. When I try to think of a method to encourage new players to play the tutorials first, the result always can be seen as this 'patronizing paperclip'.
    Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2010-10-21 22:27
    If tutorials really are just tutorials, then yes, I think you should just allow an arbitrary order. If they get more adventure-like in the future, I would rather see them as a "learning campaign" and require progressive unlocking.
    Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-10-22 00:01
    It should be left to players preference, everything else would be too restricting IMO. (With the same argument, you could allow players to play the real game only if they finished all tutorials. That would suck.)
    Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-10-22 07:12

>(With the same argument, you could allow players to play the real game only if they finished all tutorials. That would suck.)

Hum, yeah. :/
    - By misilak [cz] Date 2010-10-21 20:47
    I agree.I would like tutorials to be unlocked one after another.
    Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / Tutorials - Progressive Unlocking