Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Masterserver showing scenariospecific icon
- - By MimmoO Date 2010-10-27 22:04
hey, i recently noticed, if a scenario has a special icon.png, this is shown when you select the scenario, but this icon is not shown next to the entry in the masterserver list.
is it possible to show this speicific icon.png in this list?

when a scenario is hosted, the icon.png should be sent to the masterserver, which stores it as long as the game is open. clients wich check the masterserver list, download this icon automatically. maybe add a checkbox in the options menu to disable this feature..?

icon.png, 26x26 px, 1,6kb size, i think this is ok, but i do not know how much traffic the masterserver can manage.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-10-28 00:11
Since it's only 1.6kb per image, you'd assume the comment would take just as much traffic... :p

Also, I agree that custom icons ought to be shown in the network frontend. Would be nice.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-10-28 05:41

>when a scenario is hosted, the icon.png should be sent to the masterserver, which stores it as long as the game is open. clients wich check the masterserver list, download this icon automatically. maybe add a checkbox in the options menu to disable this feature..?

You could also link the icon to the scenario hash and only transmit it once (..and delete all the stored icons every few days)
Parent - - By B_E [de] Date 2010-10-28 09:29
This would have to be specifically limited and cached, but I do not know if Newton supports this. There is the problem of harassing or copyrighted images beeing uploaded. But then - we do allow texts as in scenarionames being posted here, thus trusting the user. Maybe a disclaimer wouldn't be bad.
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2010-10-28 11:21
If it besomes a problem, we can always make it using a whitelist to which admins can approve regularly.
Parent - - By Isilkor Date 2010-10-28 12:08

> There is the problem of harassing or copyrighted images beeing uploaded.

No, there isn't. The server is hosted in Germany, and thus German law applies; and §10 TMG shields the service provider (i.e. us) from liability as long as we don't have any knowledge of infringement.
Parent - By Günther [de] Date 2010-10-28 20:06
Annoying images would still be annoying. Also, dealing with infringement after being notified can still take too much time to be worthwhile. The real protection is that icons are small.
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2010-10-28 20:09
Downloading every image for dozens of games would add up, though. It can be mitigated, but I would think that more advanced game selection features would help players more.
Parent - - By Isilkor Date 2010-10-28 20:45
As long as the same scenarios keep being played, we can cache downloaded icons.
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-10-28 21:07
Or trying to find a local copy of the scenario and fetch the image from there.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2010-10-29 19:33
Hm, that could actually work. Just need to do the same resource finding the network does, then open the scenario and look for an icon. Another upside: This way you can see beforehand whether the scenario version is the same one you have.

Downside: I'm not sure how long this would take for all games. I think the icon is ordered to the group front, so maybe it's cheap enough. Checksum tests would take a bit, though. Maybe just check size, name and group author in this instance?
Parent - - By Isilkor Date 2010-10-29 20:09
Since even uncompressed icons would be 3kb tops, I don't think we need to avoid downloading them at all cost. Getting an icon identifier with the game list, and downloading the icon if it isn't already cached, should be fine.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2010-10-30 16:34 Edited 2010-10-30 16:36
I don't like it. Opening additional side-channels on reference request is something I would avoid as long as possible. Especially if you consider that you also need to define some protocols on the upload side. Are we really willing to bring that much cruft into our engine network interface just to support a few colorful pixels? Most of the interesting data is already present on the local hard disk anyway, see above.
Parent - - By Isilkor Date 2010-10-30 19:21 Edited 2010-10-30 19:28

> cruft

Since you have already made up your mind, what's the point in asking rhetorical questions?
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2010-10-31 22:23
Hm? What question? I merely like the "look in scenarios" solution better, that's all I'm trying to say. Sorry if I'm a bit too overt in expressing it.
Parent - - By B_E [de] Date 2010-10-28 21:11
We still have to supply the images for downloading though, after we checked the round, looked if we've cached it, reply to the engine if we need it or not... and so on.
Parent - By Isilkor Date 2010-10-28 22:07
I would just upload the image when announcing the scenario to save a round trip. The game list could contain a hash of the image and only request it if it's needed.
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2010-10-29 01:35
Yes, that's what I meant with mitigated :-) Another option would be to lazily fetch icons only when the game is being displayed.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-10-29 05:40

>Yes, that's what I meant with mitigated :-) Another option would be to lazily fetch icons only when the game is being displayed.

The clients could actually fetch the image from the host (if they do not have a local scenario with the same name&hash), no?
(Another plus side: You would instantly be able to see if the host did not forward his ports!)
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Masterserver showing scenariospecific icon