Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Water Texture
- - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-11-03 07:35
As I recall, every one of my friends/family who has played OpenClonk has commented that the water texture looks 'odd'. My friend Andrew has mentioned this at least three times after forgetting about it. When I asked how, they eventually all came to the conclusion that it was because it had waves, but was a still image.

I think the simplest route for now would be to simply make water a solid colour. Perhaps animated material textures will be needed for the future, and water can have moving waves then (especially lava will need this), but for now the simplest and best looking route is to simply have a solid colour for water, with some very minor noise.

Thoughts?
Parent - By MimmoO Date 2010-11-03 18:14
i totally agree with you. i also dislike the hue of the water. even though its unrealistic, i pretty much find the blue, as it was used in CR, very fitting.
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-11-04 07:11
Agreed. The color of water was the first surprising thing I saw in OC (after CR). It does not stop me from being surprised until the very moment (though I pacified myself with the thoughts that it can be changed anytime we like and realy does not matter that much)
The dynamic texture will definitely be the best solution here. But right now yes, we can change it to solid color (for the sake of not distracting newbie players that much)
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-11-05 12:57
Half transparent, light blue-cyan with shader-based waves effect and 25% obstruction of view of what is behind/in water.
That's my opinion.
Parent - - By Carli [de] Date 2010-11-14 14:31
We had this discussion before (http://forum.openclonk.org/topic_show.pl?pid=8746#pid8746) and we will have no animated textures because of memory consumption.
basta
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-11-14 14:41
We will have no animated textures until someone implements animated textures.
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-11-15 11:02
Why can't we just use shaders for rendering water? (perhaps optionally)? >.>
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-11-15 17:22
If you are willing to write a working implementation, I am sure everyone would be happy ;)
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-11-17 18:54
Well, I recently did study OpenGL a bit.
Isn't this as much as writing a simple program and executing it?
No idea. I'm not a very good programmer to be honest :>
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-11-14 19:29
The idea was that we should have a solid colour water texture until someone can implement a texture with a moving overlay or somesuch. Because the old one looked very strange.
Parent - By B_E [de] Date 2010-11-16 13:18
I can't see anything about animated textures mentioned in that thread. You were talking about doubling the textures and fading between them, which seemed only half a result and wasn't in relation to the effect. Also PeterW mentioned that this is possible, it is just not implemented. Also I cannot see any discussion about memory in that thread, besides for Sven mentioning it once and Peter even saying how irrelevant memory is in modern games.
Your post seems absolutely obsolete here and implies a lot of unmentioned things.
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2010-11-17 22:13
Hm? I initially thought you meant some kind of overglow of lava, which would have been a problem. Animated textures are indeed very much possible once we have a full shader implementation.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2010-11-17 22:16
Hm, btw: Why don't we just continue using Günther's animated shader water? Was there some problem with zoom?
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-11-17 22:17
We have animated shader water?
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2010-11-18 00:29 Edited 2010-11-18 00:37
Well, Clonk Rage has one. Not turned on by default, though. That's why I'm asking: If we want to have shaders in the mid-term, all things holding them up have to be solved anyway. So why not push to include that one?

Edit: Code is still in, see here. Placed in the lovely-named RestoreDeviceObjects function, to emphasize its preliminary status I suppose ;)
Parent - By Günther [de] Date 2010-11-18 17:01
Actually, it's not. We replaced it with code that displays more than one pixel of material texture per landscape pixel. (The "highres landscape" option.) I'm not sure whether it works at the moment (it doesn't on this computer), but it would be trivial to add code to cycle through multiple textures for a material. It does need a somewhat fast GPU, though.
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Water Texture