Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Thoughts on Gamepad Control
- - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-11-29 06:22 Edited 2010-11-29 06:31
Well, I wrote a whole essay-like writeup on how the gamepad controls should be. Then while trying to close an annoying hyperlink that popped up, I accidentally closed firefox and it deleted all I'd written. Anyways, here is the long and short of it.

*More attention should be given to joystick-equipped gamepads. While we are so busy charging ahead with mouse control, doing work for such defunct devices seems counter productive. At least in North America, I have not ever even seen non-joystick gamepads for sale.

*Allow the left joystick (used for aiming) to emulate mouse cursor. This option will be necessary for objects that need an actual X,Y coordinate from the controls and not just an angle (ie: loam).

*No context sensitive joysticks! It's crazy how the clonk can move around using a joystick and suddenly stop and aim with it as soon as he uses an item.

*Better control scheme utilizing joysticks with [Use] and [Throw] on shoulder buttons. I have made a picture:

Currently, 'Circle' and 'Select' are still free. Conceivably, circle could be used as an [Alt Use] modifier button (press circle, then hit either [Use] key, perhaps).
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-11-29 10:04
Well, it might be different in Germany, but I don't think many PC users own gamepads(perhaps 10% ?)...
Is it really worth it to add support for them?
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2010-11-29 14:50
My gamepad doesn't have a joystick. Just the directional pad plus 9 buttons iirc. But then, I live in Old Europe...

I'm pretty sure Newton made two joystick configurations. One for the simple ones (like mine) and one for the more advanced ones with a joystick.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-11-30 02:23
Mhh, I was beginning to doubt their existence...
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-11-29 15:58
Here you go: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6984/

Hmm. Do you 1. have a gamepad and 2. actually tried the current configuration? Cause I don't recognize whats so different about your design suggestion and the already implemented design.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-11-29 18:36
1. Yes ;)
2. Yes. And really? For me, I can only select one gamepad type which appears to try to use the directional pad and joysticks for movement/aiming, context dependent.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-11-30 00:03
So its about that one issue then? IIRC you can run with the directional pad while aiming with the joystick. Not correct?
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-11-30 02:19
You can run with the directional pad and aim with the left joystick; which is not helpful at all. I actually resorted to putting my gamepad on the table and hovering my hands above it like a keyboard so it would actually be usable. The fact that items are used on Triangle and Square instead of the triggers forces your hand into ridiculous positions just so you can run, aim, jump, and use items.

See image
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-12-04 16:14
Okay. Since I probably was the only person to ever use the gamepad controls and my gamepad is a bit broken, I didn't test that stuff for a long while. Your suggestion seems to be just about the assignment of the keys. This should be configurable in the future anyway but your suggestion might be better as a default than mine. You can play around with the assignment in the PlayerControls.txt if you wish.

I just think that it is too much for a gamepad player anyway to move+hold down use+aim at the same time. That's why I put the buttons this way. But as I said, you could try out yourself.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-12-04 19:21
I'll certainly have a try at configuring a better system myself.

>I just think that it is too much for a gamepad player anyway to move+hold down use+aim at the same time.

In every FPS you can find that plays on a gamepad, they utilize movement on the left stick and aiming on the right stick. Ergonomically, they use the triggers for the most commonly used buttons (especially when aiming).
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Thoughts on Gamepad Control