Not logged inOpenClonk Forum - Archive
Up Topic Community / Off Topic / Linux > Mac? (locked)
- - Date 2010-12-04 18:03
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-12-01 17:47
EDIT: Forget what I said, in case you read it :p
Parent - - By xy77 [de] Date 2010-12-01 23:49
I haven't, but you make me wonder. :-)

- David
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-12-02 14:42
Oh well, it was something like: "Why do we bother having a Mac version, while Mac users can install Linux and get a better OS, since they're using ports of Windows and Linux software anyway"

Did I satisfy your interest? :D
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2010-12-02 23:53
Hm, and what exactly did prompt you to remove it? Did you realize you were wrong, or just that you didn't know what you're talking about? :P
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-12-04 17:21
Well, I decided that writing something like that is stupid, unnecessary and a bit childish :p
Parent - - By xy77 [de] Date 2010-12-03 20:22
Actually I switched from using Linux (for 8-9 years or so) to a Mac about a year ago. You still have a unix base and can use most linux software.
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-12-04 17:39
But, well, Mac is overall slower, more vulnerable than linux, etc. etc.
And since you run ports of Linux/Windows software anyway...
Also, you have much less customizability - I can make my linux look like Ubuntu, Fedora, Windowses from 3.1 to 7, Mac, and I even can style it to be DOS-like! (tw, that's how my desktop currently looks: http://i53.tinypic.com/21j25nr.png )
And then there is lack of package system, and you can become unable to run flash/java at whim of Apple....
Why would you value Mac OS X over GNU/Linux?
Parent - - By Luchs [de] Date 2010-12-04 17:50

>Why would you value Mac OS X over GNU/Linux?

There's Steam.
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-12-04 18:02
Well, it works under Wine, not really worse than the native Mac version.
Besides, there already are(and were for some time) linux libs in Steam files.
Also, Phoronix announced some time ago, that Valve is porting it to Linux finally(well, they said that it was a "big and well-known company" , but we all know who they were talking about)
Besides, you can run more games on Linux(via Wine) than on Mac, since there are equally few, and Wine works better in Linux.
And, for me, few games are not an excuse to use a worse OS, that I would have to pay to keep updating(since they abandon support for older Mac OS X'es quickly)....
Parent - - By Luchs [de] Date 2010-12-04 18:26

>Well, it works under Wine, not really worse than the native Mac version.

I can't run TF2 or any other Source games here, which definitely works with the Mac version.

>And, for me, few games are not an excuse to use a worse OS

Yes, obviously Windows is the better solution here ;)
Parent - - By B_E [de] Date 2010-12-05 01:16

>I can't run TF2 or any other Source games here, which definitely works with the Mac version.

I can under Linux. And the Steam Mac Client absolutely sucks, with the Interface beeing slow and stuff not loading at all.
Parent - - By Luchs [de] Date 2010-12-05 13:31

>I can under Linux.

Actually, I can run it, but when playing it freezes after a few minutes :<
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-12-05 13:45
Well, either you're unlucky, or you pirated it/copied from windows and it was virused.
However, I will continue to say that Linux>Mac until... well, I'm not gonna change my mind! (hurr durr)
Parent - By Luchs [de] Date 2010-12-05 15:06

>Well, either you're unlucky, or you pirated it/copied from windows and it was virused.

I'm running the Steam version. TF2 isn't fun without all the items.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-12-04 18:03

>tw, that's how my desktop currently looks: http://i53.tinypic.com/21j25nr.png )

doesn't look dos-like :-(
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-12-05 12:42
Well, I sometimes use tty1 instead of graphical mode, so, well :p
But I guess that DOS didn't have 'screen' command(nor htop or many other apps) :>
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-12-04 19:26

>(tw, that's how my desktop currently looks: http://i53.tinypic.com/21j25nr.png )

And now I'm tempted to start a generic "Post your Desktop!" thread. >.>
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-12-05 12:45
Well, go on! :p
I use the one I posted, but still have other one under Ubuntu Desktop session.
I'm not mentioning Unity under Ubuntu Netbook Edition since it's slooooooooooow on 32bit systems for some reason(a nasty bug, afaik, to be fleshed out in next version). Doing "kill mutter; nohup compiz&&nohup unity" helps a little, but it's still slow.
Looks pretty, though.
Parent - By Mortimer [de] Date 2010-12-04 20:59
*Yawn*
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2010-12-04 23:33

> And since you run ports of Linux/Windows software anyway...

You repeat it so often I start to think you actually believe it. You do realize that if you only use Windows and Linux, you wouldn't know about Mac-only programs? Be assured: They exist. And speaking from my limited experience, they are pretty good. Adium is the best IM client I have used so far, for example. Textmate doesn't really have an equivalent on any other platform. Apple has quite a history of trying to keep a healthy Mac-only developer base. Something they continue doing with the iPhone, which should be a bit better known.

Concerning speed, vulnerability, customizability... I disagree, but I don't feel like putting the effort in to prove you wrong. Let's just call it a matter of taste.
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-12-05 12:41
I used Adium, it's like stripped-down version of Pidgin, especially since it also uses libpurple :>
Textmate seems a bit like Geany, but is non-free app as I can see.
Nah, there are no Mac-only programs that don't have (at least)equivalent version on other OS's
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2010-12-05 17:32
Ah, so you do acknowledge that there are Mac-only apps, you just don't like them? Well, okay, that's a fair opinion, but claiming that Mac users only use ports is just plain wrong. I certainly don't.
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-12-05 17:50

>X server
>bash
>command line utilities

Besides, mentioned communicator uses libpurple, which originates from GNU world, and thus almost certainly - Linux.

Besides, am I wrong, or is this the first 'flame war'* on this forum? :>

*(looks like we're a bit too polite for a true flame war :<)
Parent - - By Nachtschatten Date 2010-12-05 20:01

> looks like we're a bit too polite for a true flame war

That's because the topic is nothing to write home about any more. Nowadays, everyone but newbies and extreme fan boys agree that every system (including Linux) has its specific set of strengths and weaknesses. So you shouldn't expect many raised eyebrows over your claim that Linux was somehow "better" than OS X.

And, to be honest, I think after deleting your first post about that you should just have left it at that.
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-12-07 19:19
Well, call me a weirdo, but I really like flame wars and other sorts of fierce arguments :D
Also, I wish to convert more people to Linux(perhaps saves me future "hey, where are my files?", "hey, I think I have a virus [...]", etc.)

Also, more people using Linux = more games on it = Weeeeeee, I am happy!
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-12-07 19:32
Yeah well, don't overdo it. We don't want that sort of arguments here. Neither flame wars nor missionaries. I actually just deleted one of your posts where you were deliberately trolling.
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-12-07 23:02
Well, that was not trolling.
Lately I've been bored and am spending too much time on 4chan.
You just get used to this style of people arguing, everybody being called a fag, etc. etc.
*sigh*
I should rather speak with normal people because I'm getting weirder and weirder.. :p
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-12-07 20:24
Trolling at someone to change their OS is about as affective as trolling at someone to change their religion... ineffective. :p
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-12-07 23:05
Well, not really.
I see tons of people switching to Linux.
However, there also are many Windows users who never even seen Linux and are repeating 10 year old arguments.
Yeah, in those cases it's pretty ineffective.
And the worst are apple fanboys.
Oh yeah, the worst kind of trolls on 4chan's /g/ ....
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-12-08 00:35
I'm locking this topic.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2010-12-06 00:55 Edited 2010-12-06 00:59
You know, I'm just waiting for someone to start pointing out that a lot of this wasn't developed originally for Linux either. And Mac Os X has just about as much "rights" to claim Unix heritage as Linux (distributions). This argument is just pointless.
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2010-12-06 01:43
Oh, but a lot of it was most definitely developed for GNU, and we all know that Linux is just another word for the GNU operating system, right?

Yes, I also don't know what made me post here. Probably somewhat about train-wrecks being irresistible?
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-12-07 19:22
Well, there is both GNU/Linux and GNU/BSD, also GNU is sort-of separate project, which is intended to be portable.
Besides, many of the apps were made back when Hurd was used, and many of the tools(mainly network ones) were made for BSD initially.
Parent - By Günther [de] Date 2010-12-08 00:18
I am aware of that. Except for where you are wrong, of course. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurd
Parent - By xy77 [de] Date 2010-12-07 15:57
I had better not wondered. :-)
Up Topic Community / Off Topic / Linux > Mac? (locked)