Not logged inOpenClonk Forum - Archive
Up Topic Community / Off Topic / * > Eclipse?
- - Date 2010-12-11 11:28
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-12-10 16:43
Huh? Why would anyone want to use eclipse?
Last time I tested it, it was very heavy, had tons of unnecesary options and wasn't very comfortable.

I think that a better idea would be to create plugins/whatever it is for something else. Geany is my personal favourite, but other there are many other good IDE's out there.

As for the problem itself, sorry, but I can't help :p
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2010-12-10 17:14
Powerful development environments tend to become monsters. Personally, I don't know Eclipse. But I remember I had the same thoughts about MSVC; I was just overwhelmed by the amount of options. Yet when I got used to it, more and more features made sense and became useful.
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-12-11 11:28
For me the only mandatory things are:
*Auto finding and using libs/modules
*Code completion
*Syntax highlighting
*Being fast, including quick startup
*Support for file management(projects)
*Having many files open at once
*Compilation/launching program via a key (F9, for example)
*Showing me what functions, variables, constants, etc. are there in my project

Geany provides me with all this, I don't think that Eclipse has much more than that...
I used MSVC back when I was a windows user, and I didn't really use anything other than mentioned features.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-12-12 08:52

> As for the problem itself, sorry, but I can't help :p

If you have nothing to contribute, then don't troll instead. If you continue like this, you will be banned. You are warned.
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-12-12 13:07
I'm not trolling.
I just suggested that you might instead try some other IDE, since Eclipse is not only very heavy, but also not very suited for anything else than Java.
Gosh, why are you all so strict here? :/
Parent - By Mortimer [de] Date 2010-12-12 13:12
It's actually actually quite well suited for anything :D
Parent - - By Nachtschatten Date 2010-12-12 16:39

> I'm not trolling.

In my opinion, you are. As I was the one who reported your posting, let me explain why I consider it this way.

1. You don't respect the other's choices
You seem to believe that what works best for you also works best for everyone else. According to you, people should switch to Linux, not use Eclipse, and perhaps more. The truth is: Nobody cares. Other people have preferences and requirements different from yours. Eclipse satisfies some of these. Let people use what they want, it's not like somebody tries to convert you to use it. In return, we expect the same from you: Stop being bothered so much about what software we use. The only thing you'll achieve is leaving a bad impression.

2. You're being disruptive to the discussion
There is a time and place for expressing your opinion. Mortimer's thread is not it, as he opened it in the Developer's Corner, where he asked for help. You contributed exactly nothing to helping him, but instead answered with your negativity towards the tool he uses. Not only is this off-topic, it is counterproductive. It creates a negative atmosphere. Would you feel encouraged to ask for help, if you could expect someone telling you whatever you asked help for sucks? So what makes you think this is acceptable behaviour?
Things would be different if Mortimer had asked "Hey, I'm not content with the editor I use, can somebody suggest me an alternative?". But he didn't, he wants to have a problem solved.

3. You're clearly hating for the sake of hating
In your first posting, you dismiss Eclipse for having "tons of unnecesary [sic] options", but right below that all of a sudden you claim it does not have features "much more than" a souped-up text editor. Which is, incidentally, the one you happen to like best. These two statements are obviously mutually exclusive: If one of them would be your actual concern, you wouldn't invalidate your own argument by using the other.
Look, if you don't like Eclipse and something else matches your taste better, just admit it and be done with it. Just don't make up bullshit excuses depending on your mood.

> I just suggested that you might instead try some other IDE

Your exact words were "I think that a better idea would be to create plugins/whatever it is for something else". I don't even see a problem with supporting several IDEs, so why should we switch away from Eclipse? If you can provide some integration in Geany, do it, and let people choose for themselves. Like I said above: Different preferences and requirements. It's really no secret that some people actually like the more complex functionality Eclipse provides, and thus want to develop content with it. For example, there already is a syntax highlighting package for Notepad++ (for Clonk Rage, though, so it may need to be updated).

> Gosh, why are you all so strict here? :/

I can't speak for the others, but I prefer a friendly, productive environment. One where I can discuss the thing at hand without being dragged into off-topic about some random term used in the conversation.
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-12-12 17:24

>I can't speak for the others, but I prefer a friendly, productive environment.

Well, it might be another elsewhere, but I'm used to 'friendly' being defined as in "Everybody trusts each others and expresses their honest opinions, whatever they might be".

Anyway. Sorry, I will try to be more strict and less personal.
Up Topic Community / Off Topic / * > Eclipse?