Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / First thoughts about a magic system
1 2 Previous Next
- - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-12-17 20:41
Ringwaul, Mimmo and me were talking about a possible spell system in IRC. These are the results:

Spell System

Items:
Staff/wand: used to open the spell menu with all the available spells
Book: used in melees where spells are not the main-weapons. Contains a few spells to select (see CR)
Scroll: see book. See CR.

Menu:
Clicking the mouse button that represents the staff in your inventory will open the combo menu. The combo menu provides four directions that are ultimately used to select the spell you want to cast. That spell will be cast instantly once you reach the final combo. You can navigate this combo tree by using either the keyboard (known from Clonk Rage) by hitting the directional keys (wasd) or you can navigate it by using mouse gestures.

You use mouse gestures by keeping the mouse button held after you open the menu and moving the mouse in the directions shown by the navigation tree on the screen. The cursor will snap back to the center of the menu after each selection so a single direction can be selected multiple times without delay.

For the mouse control, the combo tree also provides a handy button in the middle of the arrows, that represent the directions. This button can be used to navigate one level back in the tree or, if clicked while you are at the root of the tree, to use the spell again that was cast last.
Sorting:
Don’t divide the spells by elements; rather, sort spells by actual function.

Mana:
Each Clonk will have Mana that is used to cast the spells. Todo: think of cool ways to replenish your Mana (“Meditation” from CR is not cool, and auto-charge is also only half-cool).

Gimmick:
The Clonk will also swing his staff while the player navigates through the combo tree and draw the current path in the combo tree with small particles! Very cool, we like.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2010-12-17 21:25 Edited 2010-12-17 21:28
Some random thoughts:
* What about the ideas to have spells "power up" while you hold the mouse and choose the direction? I quite liked the idea that this would effectively make a mage resort to low-power spells whenever Mana was low.
* From what states can you do magic - do we want to allow magic while scaling? Seems silly to me, but it would be consistent to the changes to e.g. digging.
* What happens when you get interrupted - for example the ground below your feet vanishes or you get hit by an arrow?
* I think we might want to aim for a lower count of spells this time. Ideally, we should be done with 16 spells, so everything can be fired off with 2 keystrokes. It's easy to go overboard with the shiny and the clever, but sooner or later we end up with a balancing mess.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-12-17 22:01

>* What about the ideas to have spells "power up" while you hold the mouse and choose the direction? I quite liked the idea that this would effectively make a mage resort to low-power spells whenever Mana was low.

Could be cool for base melees. But I do not think it would fit the fast paced melees (that are the #1 played melees in the CR league). A few spells? Sure why not. All? I don't think so :)

>* From what states can you do magic - do we want to allow magic while scaling? Seems silly to me, but it would be consistent to the changes to e.g. digging.

I could rather compare the wand with a sword/bow there

>* What happens when you get interrupted - for example the ground below your feet vanishes or you get hit by an arrow?

To be consistent the menu should probably not be aborted but the actual aiming should I guess

>* I think we might want to aim for a lower count of spells this time. Ideally, we should be done with 16 spells, so everything can be fired off with 2 keystrokes. It's easy to go overboard with the shiny and the clever, but sooner or later we end up with a balancing mess.

I would also not want to clutter the menu.
The design should allow for a lot of spells if other authors want to create those (for their own packs) though.
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2010-12-17 23:07

> The design should allow for a lot of spells if other authors want to create those (for their own packs) though.

It's more of a game design point. At some point we will have to say "put one in, take one out". I mean, we could still end up with a different selection of spells for each scenario, even though I would generally advise against that as well.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-12-17 23:11
From a designer's point of view, the first question when I sit down to design something is not the specifics how it will work but why something like this would be fun and also what exactly would be the cool thing about it. What makes it worth playing? What is the design goal? Only then, it makes sense to develop a system that highlights the strengths of that game aspect. Otherwise, there is no common base to argument from and the whole design process might remain a matter of taste.
That's the difference between "There should be a differently colored arrow when I nearly finished the race" and "The game gives no feedback about how close I am to the goal. That kind of feedback would increase the game experience in the same way as it does in f.e. shooters: When you kill an enemy, it is announced and shown, how close you are to winning/losing"

I consider the (combo) magic system as one of the extras introduced during the Clonk shareware series that are on the same level as constructing castles, doing alchemy, researching, farworld's hunting and decomposing of animals, freezing and hunger in farworlds and many more. Instead of asking ourselves which system we are going to reimplement and which not, we should, in my opinion, see the game mechanics introduced in C4-CR as ideas ('Anregungen') and examples we can analyse to find new ideas for game mechanics that will coin OpenClonk in the future. Of course, I am not saying that we shouldn't consider reimplementing a particular system just because it was in CE, but we shouldn't also reimplement it just because it was in CE.

I am writing this because I have doubts about a reimplementation of a magic system. If I didn't know the combo magic system from CE, it would sound like a very specific feature to me. A feature that actually drills right through the current concept of controls, tools and menus - implementation-wise but also as a game mechanic.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-12-18 10:53

>What makes it worth playing? What is the design goal?

Yes, we thought about that and we had different facts to look at:
-the combo system was introduced earlier in the Clonk series
-after that introduction (/after the fantasy pack) there was a boom in magic scenarios
-fast paced magic melees are among the top played league scenarios in CR (and probably even the top played non-league scenarios)
-the most played CR magic melees have more than a handful of spells for the player to chose from
-most players in CR use the combo system (according to the tournament statistiks for example - so, at least the "hardcore magic melee players". Probably also the rest)
-the ones who have mastered the combo system are able to cast any spell in a fraction of a second (CR "pros")
-a ring menu has a constant time that is needed between opening the menu, getting feedback of where the spells are (since the position in the ring menu changes with the available spells in a scenario) and selecting the spell - if you want to be able to cast the spells fast you would have to memorize their position at the start of each scenario
-a normal menu has the same disadvantage and, in addition, the way to some spells is longer than to others (for the mouse)

-one goal was a system that allows "hardcore" players to actually play those melees comfortably (that is, cast the spell fast) while still allowing newer players to actually use spells in slower paces scenarios (f.e. adventures/settlement stuff) without knowing the exact combination (we also discussed a menu as an alternative to the combo menu)
-one goal was to allow for an arbitrary number of spells to be active for every scenario. And, if possible, not have the players adjust to the new setup of the magic menu on the start of each scenario

We did not say we want the combo system because it was in CR. We said we wanted the combo system because it proofed to be usable, fast and successful in CR.
If you have another idea that also fulfills the needs while actually being more newbie friendly, feel free to open a discussion about it - nothing is carved in stone at this point.
We could not. ;)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-12-18 21:03 Edited 2010-12-18 21:08
Hmm, you name only pros of the magic system, also I fear we are at cross-purposes because:

>-a normal menu has the same disadvantage and, in addition, the way to some spells is longer than to others (for the mouse)
>-a ring menu has a constant time that is needed between opening the menu, getting feedback of where the spells are (since the position in the ring menu changes with the available spells in a scenario) and selecting the spell - if you want to be able to cast the spells fast you would have to memorize their position at the start of each scenario
>-most players in CR use the combo system

So I need to add my point of view. I was not talking about the combo system in specific but the magic system in general. Of course, the combo system solves some of the issues the original magic system had, but the sole fact that the mana-menu-magic system had big problems in it's design that somehow had to be tackled, should be a reason to distance oneself from the original idea of the magic system.

Where the magic system came from and what it has become

The original CP magic system was designed to only have some limited amount of more or less useful spells with almost no direct attack spells. Therefore the time to select a spell was not high and there was normally also no reason to be as fast as possible at it. Over time, and this is IMO typical for the community-driven development during Clonk shareware times, more and more spells were added, also containing attack and defence spells, generally spells that had to be cast fast. By doing this, the original concept of the magic in CP was distorted as it was just not working any more: The normal magic menu had become useless in the game. When Sven implemented the combo magic system, it was essentially a crutch to deal with this issue. Consider this metaphor:

Imagine your CR clonk had an unlimited inventory and he can theoretically use any item there is in the world. While running around, he just needs to spend some gold (or not at all, by rule) to have this item appear in his hand. Let it be a tera flint, a construction kit, a monster egg, a bow and arrows,... anything. At the same time, he can also do magic, but he needs to pick up a spell at his base and can only use it once. Because of the sheer mass of items the clonk can summon and because of the nature of their application (fighting), he needs those items fast and a normal menu will just not suffice any more when there are more than just a few items to select from. So a system of combinations of numbers is introduced. You just need to memorize the corresponding number for a particular item, for example "114" for the tera flint, type it in and you are ready to go. Sounds familiar?

By turning it around, I want to show some of the inherent design weaknesses about the (combo) magic system. First of all, the magic turned out to be parallel to the standard system of items. It is a completely different concept of controlling your clonk, fighting/acting in the world and at the same time, it is just better than anything else. It's like a cheat-mode and that's also my impression of the many (league) scenarios there are for the combo magic system: When I watch people playing Etagenkampf, a scenario that takes full advantage of the combo magic system, it doesn't look like clonk, it feels like Street Fighter II played with combos only , one of the dragonball scenarios or Clonk Matrix. I must confess, I never played one of these scenarios because I don't have the patience to memorize all those number combinations, yet this is the only way to use the system in a battle that is fast enough.

Different design foundations in OC

Now in OC, we have a more powerful item system. It is not so limited any more as in C4-CR. You can carry a lot more tools and weapons and use them faster. The item system is simple and fast to use and easy to learn. What you suggest now is to introduce another item, that can be used in 100 different ways (when there are 100 spells). An item, that can theoretically do anything and replace each and every other tool but at the same time needs special controls and the player needs to memorize combos to make it even possible to practically be able to use it. That does not only sound, but is absolutely unbalanced. What reason is there to have that item not in the inventory? You yourself wanted to make the shield weaker to make it more balanced. How does this go together with (essentially) a cheat-item like this? (Rhetorical question)
I don't like the direction into which this project would go if this is implemented. I made great efforts to create an easy to use and yet powerful control system that got rid of all those complicated double-left-down-throw, double-down-left-right controls that was one of the biggest points about clonk that were criticized by critics. If the combo system gets reimplemented like this, we didn't learn anything.

Conclusion

The only place I can imagine such a specific, yet powerful and complicated to use item is in an extra pack or extra scenario but IMO it very much conflicts with the current balancing and game mechanics as well as the current controls.

See also: Alas statement.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-12-19 00:15
I notice what you say about mages in CR being 'hero class' clonks is especially true. I would like to suggest what I have been thinking since CR; magic should be a complementary force with the physical tools.

In DragonRock, the difference between knight and Mage was sorely obvious. The mages were basically god-like clonks while the knights trailed embarrassingly behind. The first time Sidewinder, myself, and my brother played DragonRock together we assumed the Mage was going to be a support class that would need to be protected by the knights; on the contrary, the mage bulldozed everything in his path.

Therefore, in designing a proper magic system for OpenClonk we would need to concentrate on a few points:

1.  Magic is not stronger than physical weapons
A good example of this is the fight between Link and Ganondorf at the end of Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Link wields only a sword and a shield, while Ganondorf uses his dark magic to try to defeat Link. In this respect, magic should not overpower physical weapons easily as per Clonk Rage; any direct-damage spells (ie: fireball) should be easily blockable by using a shield, or perhaps even reflecting the spell with a sword or club. Perhaps it could even be possible to detonate the fireball by shooting it with a musket-ball/arrow.

2. Concentrate on indirect spells
Spells should do more than simply 'I shoot at you and you get hurt'. You've mentioned briefly how this used to be the case, but rather evolved into a more direct 'I shoot, you die, kthx' system. Rather, spells should have a general use which can be used in many different ways. Let's take telekinesis for example. Using telekinesis, the player could lift lorries out of lakes or holes they have fallen into, help transport trees to the sawmill, or catch dangerous projectiles coming towards them.

Spells should be designed with a general purpose in mind, instead of directly offensive uses. As another example, let's take Mimmo_O's hardening scroll. This could evolved into a sort of 'Freeze' spell, which on collision with water turns it to ice (allowing supplies to cross water during the warmer seasons), and perhaps on landscape hit could create a hollow solid-mask ice-crystal or so (like the shield-gem from hideout). On a side note, the wind-scroll could also evolve into a tornado spell or somesuch.

In short, spells shouldn't be designed with only the idea of offensive tactics in mind. Spells which are much more generalized allow the players to invent interesting techniques to effectively fight an opponent without casting 'Bloodsucker' until success.
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2010-12-19 10:48

>An item, that can theoretically do anything and replace each and every other tool but at the same time needs special controls and the player needs to memorize combos to make it even possible to practically be able to use it.

Thoughts about the power of the magician:
1. A magician as stated could be a sort of special tool user in the standard pack: The power of spells is limited and balanced to the power of a tools, so instead of for example a Clonk with a shovel, a flint and several things in his backpack like a rope, a piece of loam and a sword faces a magician. The magician has in his backpack: A crystal, a mana elixier, another mana elixier, another crystal and a spell boosting potion. He has no tools and is not necessarily overpowered here (he has more possibilities, but those are limited to his magic energy)

2. The magic system for a tool magician is like a second backpack, in the backpack there are up to 10 slots or something with spellbooks in it, to cast a spell the magician needs to swap his current spellbook with the spellbook or spellpage in his spellbook menu and klick it in his left hand, there he can cast it. The speed of changing spells here is equal to the speed of changing a weapon. And the magician can only carry up to xy different spellbooks with him. The basic idea is, that a magician can't memorize spells - he needs to read them out loud every time.
If you want to weaken the spell idea, spellbooks would become special tools, which would be more powerful, but limited to the magic energy, and that would be all of it. If you want to weaken him further you can use the backpack for carrying this spellbooks instead of a second menu. And he can therefor cast only 7 spells. Hm a little too weak maybe.

In a fast pace maged melee this spell speed is to slow, but if it is weapons are to slow as well.
Parent - - By MimmoO Date 2010-12-19 16:23
This was one of the ideas I had earlier. But you need to remember, that we wanted every clonk being able to do everything possible and make the usability of the Clonk dependent on the item he carries. As far fas i understood, you want two different kind of clonks - one who can carry all normal stuff, and one special Clonk (magician), who can carry only magic-stuff such as mana potions and staffs. The tool-like idea you mentioned in point two is actually, what I once made for a magic scenario (out of which the current ring menu evolved). It turned out to be too slow with more than a few spells. Thus I prefer the idea of a CR-like combo-spell-selecting-system.
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2010-12-20 12:57

>But you need to remember, that we wanted every clonk being able to do everything possible and make the usability of the Clonk dependent on the item he carries

This sounds more OC-like to me: Every Clonk can do magic in general, meaning everyone has magic energy or mana, which only get's displayed if he has a Spellbook or another magic item and is not shown in non magic Scenarios.
What he could do with it: Casting spells of course, and reloading magic items (which could be weakend for example a magic arrow (just a example) would autoaim, however, after one shot it would become a normal arrow, the clonk could recharge it with his magic energy). Crystals therefore could be used by everyone as well.

>It turned out to be too slow with more than a few spells. Thus I prefer the idea of a CR-like combo-spell-selecting-system.

What about using a new key for this? The spellbook key:
Every clonk has a blank spellbook, like everyone has a backpack. And if he learns spells the scrolls for spell learning (blue in CR) are put into this spellbook. It's basically another menu which can be opend and used like the backpack.

For fast spellcasting it is still too slow, but hey it's like the backpack now so I just thought: The backpack is slow as well. I think the Backpack should react to keys - like every slot would have a,s,d,w or similar keys near them. To decide whether an item is swaped or staffed with/into the right or left mouse slot another klick is necessary - but not necessarily on the backpack slot - just a klick which could be anywhere.

Summary: The backpack and the spellbook would get a simplefied combo menu which would fasten its use.

Detailed:
You can cast spells by klicking Some buttons to open the spellbook and after that select a combination of Keys and a mouseklick for casting (with direction), the spells should be sorted into categories so that attack spells always get a direction key for starters for example, and the spells should always get the combo which should not require more than 2 keys because speed is important. More than the 4 direction keys should be used - I think 7(49) would be fine, 6(36) are crucial. But you honestly never ever need more than 50 Spells. Blackfield uses like 35 or something, and it took months to actually find a good use for most of them.

The backpack could behave similar. I personally think it's too slow as well, if we use 7 slots for spellbooks we could of course use 7 slots for items as well.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-12-20 15:47

>I think the Backpack should react to keys - like every slot would have a,s,d,w or similar keys near them. To decide whether an item is swaped or staffed with/into the right or left mouse slot another klick is necessary - but not necessarily on the backpack slot - just a klick which could be anywhere.

There is another discussion going on somewhere just because the backpack is so slow and because that sucks :)

The main difference between the backpack and the spellbook is (/would be) that you need two ways to access the backpack items: for putting it into your left hand or your right hand (the discussion I was talking about)
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-12-19 14:16

>the original concept of the magic in CP was distorted

That is true. And while I would not say we should ignore the balance when using spells in settlement/knight scenarios, I say that we should ship a magic system that makes CR's Etagenkampf possible. Because it is a lot of fun for a lot of players. Even if we have to put the Street-Fighter spells into an additional package (as done with CR's "Fantasy.c4d")

What I would like most at the moment:
1. Put old-style spells (spells with general use, see Ringwauls statement) into Objects.c4d. Things like wind, telekinesis and so on which can be used in settlement or slow paced base melees.
In those melees you would have to research those spells and, finally, put a collection of spells into a spellbook. That spellbook could be used for carrying and casting up to five spells at a time - and you would still need some additional mana. This and the nature of the spells would most likely make it balanced and suitable for "normal" melees.

2. This magic system still allows for the wand (all-spells "cheat"-tool) even if you could not craft a wand in a settlement scenario. A collection of well-thought-out but Street-Fighter like spells would be put into an additional pack (~"Fantasy.c4d") and only active for scenarios where it fits.
Why should we do that and not let it be some community package if it's not in Objects.c4d anyway? Because we have the chance to provide the fantasy-only CR players (yes, those exist) with a thought-out package of decently balanced spells - and, more important: a universal spell system (the combo menu). The last thing you would want is a new implementation of the combo menu in every mage-melee scenario.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-12-19 15:41
Limiting the count of spells to five per item slot would certainly mitigate the overpowered-ness of spells. It would also put the scenario designer in a position where he has to be more considerate what he puts into those books in a melee.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-12-19 16:38

>Limiting the count of spells to five per item slot would certainly mitigate the overpowered-ness of spells. It would also put the scenario designer in a position where he has to be more considerate what he puts into those books in a melee.

That book was part of the design of the magic system. The book and the wand+combo-menu are not mutually exclusive, though - since they aim for something completely different.
Parent - - By Casimir [de] Date 2010-12-21 22:19 Edited 2010-12-21 22:46

> If you have another idea that also fulfills the needs while actually being more newbie friendly, feel free to open a discussion about it - nothing is carved in stone at this point.

Without reading the Rest of this thread, here it is:
Just a simple taught, a great difference between OpenClonk, and all the old Clonks is the usage of the mouse. So why don't use, kind of mousegestures to cast spells. As a player you have a staff, like a normal weapon in your hand. The staff only contains a few spells, that are all kind of related with each other, for example three ice-spells. While playing you press the mouse, and move it in radial direction. This will cause, for example the frostbolt (ger: frostbolzen), when you move your mouse in circumference direction it will cause an other spell, maybe a iceshield, that vanishes after a short time. So you can cast your spells fast and intuitive. An important aspect is that there is a length of the way of your mouse, this could be an input for the strength of the spell and how many mana it will use. The distance to your clonk can be used as well, so to evoke the shield it will use up more mana the more far it is away. Alternatively you can use the x and y axis - maybe for other kinds of spells.
Additive to moving your mouse you can just click on a point. This could be used for more tool-like spells, for example heating which melts ice to water, stone to lava, sets trees on fire, and hurts clonks, or freezing water to ice, lava to stone and freezing clonks for a moment. Here you can't use the way to power up your spell, but the time. So you aim on a rock, click and wait (the stronger you are, the faster it works), first you just melt a little area, like a pixel, then 5 pixels, then more, and more, so that you get an expanding circle around your pointer. The bigger the circle is, the more time it takes to expand, and the more mana it will use. Here the distance to your clonk is important for the power and usage of mana too.
This way you get like three spells in one staff, and with two hand, you can only manage six spells at once. So, when you want to have it more complex you can make more complex gestures. You can draw Z and then make a + where your target is, and a flash will hit it. That would allow combos too. But that's kind of complex for programming.
So only think of six spells, you can still combine them, in another way. As an example: You use a shockwave (special-jedi-forces-like-staff - circle) to throw your enemy in water and than freeze it (ice-staff - click). Or you melt rock to a piece of lava and then hunt your enemy with telekinesis-flying-lava (special-jedi-forces-like-staff - click, to grab the lava, than move while holding).

This concept is fast in use and easy, but it limits the amount of spells by the number of staffs (and other stuff) you can carry.

edit: a feature (not necessary for this system): when you have used up all your mana, it will use up your health. This would make it kind of more dramatical.
Kind of: Moses standing on the sea, lifts the water up, his folks walk thru the sea. With the last power of his health the last child passes by, then - nearly dying - he lets the water smash the egyptian army. (Please, don't take me serious.)
Parent - By Mafi [de] Date 2010-12-21 23:42
While I'm neutral to your first part (about the wands), I really, really like the drawing spells, because they allow the player to manipulate her envoirment in very different ways with one and the same spell. This would lead to spell reduction, which I am also a fan of. As your two spells seem to be inspired by fire and ice, let me throw in my further ideas:

The Green spell
This spell is inspired by nature and live. If you use it on earth, some trees and mushrooms appear. Existing trees and other living beings(fish, wipfs and also monsters!) get a better chance to reproduce; clonks get healed. Maybe it should even turn tunnel to earth.
The Purple spell
It's inspired by time. Tree's will grow but also die if you use it too long. Water will slowly disappear (evaporation; dt. verdunstung); coal will turn too crystall (in a perfect world it would turn to diamant; but is IMHO ok). It should also deal minimal damage to clonks.

And about extensibilty: Espacially such spells should very easily be extendible. User created objects should really be better integrated into the existing spell system.

Mafi
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-12-22 02:20

>a feature (not necessary for this system): when you have used up all your mana, it will use up your health.

"You know those old arcade games where the player character got hurt from using his special attack? I absolutely hated those games. " --Ringwaul (this very thread)

Which brings me to my next point...

>Without reading the Rest of this thread, here it is:

Ugh.
Parent - - By Casimir [de] Date 2010-12-22 14:26
I just asked myself, when you used up all your mana while performing a spell, what will happen? First solution would be, you have to interrupt your spell, wait for your mana to reload and then try again. Or you continue, but use up your health. It's like diving in OC, when your air is used up you still can swim, but you get hurt until you die. Or as in real life, you can run until you are totally exhausted, than you have to stop, or you continue running, but that's not very healthy.

btw. now I read the rest.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-12-22 14:44
In my opinion, you should design new objects from the point of view what would be fun and uncomplicated, not what would in your opinion "logically" be realistic (with magic, ahem).
Parent - By Casimir [de] Date 2010-12-23 22:46
Your right. I tend to exaggerate (dt. übertreiben) everything.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-12-22 08:27
Opting for mouse gestures instead of key combinations will not solve a single problem discussed here.
You probably should have read the rest of the thread...
Parent - - By Casimir [de] Date 2010-12-22 15:44
I have, and nothing changed.

Lets try to sum the biggest problems discussed here:
In the traditional magic-system

> There are to much spells in general and a lot of them don't differ very much.

It's like in most of the games with magic. There is a zap (hurt 20 rage 10 mana 15), a strong zap (hurt 40 rage 13 mana 30) and a double zap and a very strong zap and so on. And than the same thing with the firebolt with is the same, but slower. With the mouse-controlled thing there are is specific hurt-rage-mana-andsoon, but it depends on some inputs, like the time you hold the mousebutton pressed, the length of the way, where your clonk is standing, how strong he is and so on. So there are no thousands of different zaps needed, just one and the strength depends on some factors.

> You have access to all spells, all the time.

Cause you are limited in mouse gestures (to be exactly, you are limited in the most common/easiest, like just clicking, a straight line and so on), you have to invent a system that allows you to manage the different spells. One possible system is the usage of items, where every item has a number of specific spells. Cause the spells are bounded to the items you are limited in the spells you have access to, at the same time.

> There are to much spells only for attacking.

With the usage of the mouse it is possible to aim more exactly. For attack only, you just need a direction. For special tools, the mouse provides more possibilities. For example you can mark a certain area where the time is slowed down, or you draw the beginning and the end of your windspell. This is especially useful for tools, for attacking only it is unnecessary. So tool-like magic is supported with this system.

> Using a lot of spells by just knowing the combination is like cheating.

Spells limited, bounded to items and so on, see above.

> Magic it self is totally imbalanced.

Cause bounded to items, its just like a special weapon, or a special tool. It's like somebody armed with a stone, fighting against someone with a sword - it is unbalanced, but who has the stone and who the sword depends on the players. There is no big difference between weapons/tools and magic (see post of Matthias).
Also the power of the spells is not fixed, it depends on long you power it up and so on (see above). So a spell can be weaker than a weapon, but when powered up enough it can be stronger.

> It has to be possible to add more spells without problems.

Some concepts discussed here limit the total amount of spells. With the idea of mousegestures and boundary to items, there is no problem in adding new spells. You just need to add a new item, or define a new gesture.

> Either you have a lot of combinations to remember, or you have a complicated menu, that stops you during fight.

With items it is not more complicated than changing weapons. With mousegestures you have fast access to some spells without combinations and without clicking through a menu.

> I want to use spells not as a weapon it self, but for special tactics (maybe in team).

With the aiming and selecting with the mouse it is easier to control the tool-like spells. You can evoke what you want at the point that you want and eventually the shape that you want. For example freezing water to ice by selecting the area, or just click and move. Or the length and the direction of the wind and so on.
This helps you for using spells tactical.

> Cast the spell fast.

No more time than just push the button, move and let it go.

> I would rather have a few spells with different behavior (AoE, straight-line, targeting) than a lot of spells that behave the same and, for example, only differ in being Fire or Water. (Zapper)

The usage of the mouse allows a lot of new behaviours of the spells. You can imagine fire through curves by selecting the way with the mouse and so on.

> Overweight.

By using the mouse you use your arm more, so you burn more fat. ;)

Did I forget something?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-12-22 17:01

>Did I forget something?

Except you forgot the point where everyone wanted to replace spells with items for the settlement stuff :)
Parent - - By Casimir [de] Date 2010-12-22 19:09

>Cause bounded to items, its just like a special weapon, or a special tool. [...] There is no big difference between weapons/tools and magic (see post of Matthias).

It's just the way you name it.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-12-22 20:24
No, what you wanted was to introduce items, that offer a few spells (accessible via combo). So that the player can choose the spells he carries. That's something different. :P
Parent - - By Casimir [de] Date 2010-12-23 22:41
Maybe I don't really understand what you want to say...
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-12-23 23:08
Well, you wanted to have a small selection of spells bound to one item where you could cast those spells using mouse combinations (like drawing a line f.e.).
The other idea was to not have spells (aka the concept of "magic") at all. For example, put the effect a "telekinesis" spell could have into a Telekinesis-Glove.
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2010-12-23 10:08
I think his ideas are quite nice, and not "everyone" wants no spells at all.

Also, his thoughts, matthias thoughts, my thoughts, your thoughts, Newtons thoughs and even Peters - they don't interfere with each other at all.

The basic aims seem to be:
-Designing a simple control system which should be fast and versatile as well.
-Designing spells after tools
-Limiting spells to useful ones and making different effects available.
-Designing tools after spells, adding extra possibilities to them.
-Not overpowering spells, they should add to the game and not dominate it - the game designers fear this the most.

The only critical point here is the control discussion! The rest is peanut butter.
Even if the spells should not match the orginal package, for additional packages a control system is a crucial factor. And we'd not want different control designs from different magic packs, would we?
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-12-23 15:02
Well, my plan currently would be:

Leave the magic system for the settlement scenarios open until we really "need" magic, since magic in settlement scenarios would be there to improve the fun when playing those settlement scenarios. And I do not know whether we really need magic for that (or can replace it with tools).

Build a magic-combat-only magic system (menu (interface) and spells) and put it outside of Objects.c4d into Magic.c4d for example, so that it does not interfere with the settlement stuff at all - with the aim that it does not have to be balanced for settling, but can be completely aimed for fast paced magic melee (parallel with the current melee-only OC and hopefully being able to get the magic-only CR players to OC).
Why "we" (whoever wants to join) should do that is the following reason, that I also mentioned before: There will be combat magic in OC at some point. And the last thing we would want is that every community created magic package ships a new interface for casting spells. And therefore we can as well do that ourselves and ship OC with a decent magic interface + balanced spells - even if they do not fit into the settlement stuff that will be one of the next milestones.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-12-23 10:03
I agree, the overall concept sounds quite interesting and (... alright) promising (providing we are not talking about time and effort needed to make everything stated above work).

Though most of the people here on forum (including myself) do not like the format of the posts that I'm going to use, I would nevertheless dare to write it (only once, just to leave that discussion with no insult to anyone).

> There are to much spells in general and a lot of them don't differ very much.

Yes, your idea (in a way I see it) will solve the problem

> You have access to all spells, all the time.

So, you are going to have the system where different spells can be assigned to different gestures? So the player himself will choose which spell to which gesture he wants to assign?.. Wouldn't that be TOO complicated (in terms of implementation and actual usage - I mean, interface and all that stuff) ?

> There are to much spells only for attacking.

Irrelevant. Mouse gesture system relates only to the spell casting procedure, NOT for the spell 'crafting' and so (You can still have a gesture system with attack spells only as well as combo-system only with defence spells - these two issues are not corellated).

> Using a lot of spells by just knowing the combination is like cheating.

In your previous post you were talking about using a staff. Now you are talking about spells bound to items. I kinda... can not understand.
If you have gestures instead of combos than knowing the combination IS like cheating (providing you agreed with the 'know combo = cheat' statement when you quoted it)

> Magic it self is totally imbalanced.

Again. If you think that 'binding spell to items' is the same as 'using staff to cast spell' than it is a bit of a fallacy. The situation with CR uber spell system would bo not much different if you used staff to cast all those spells.
Please, do not reffer to the Matthias post since it has nothing to do with the system (I mean, gestures) you are trying to introduce.
And yes (to finally state the point): if you need much more time to cast a devastating spell than to strike with a sword you actually HAVE sort of a balance, but it has nothing to do with the 'way' you cast spell (be it mouse gestures or key combinations)

> It has to be possible to add more spells without problems.

I'm finally starting to get it. So you actualy want the following: player crafts the staff which is blank at start. You have several (limited amount) gestures for spell casting (for instance, click, straight line, arc and so) - similar as you have several slots in your staff. Then you are starting to imbue your staff with magical powers. You put 'Ice' into 'click slot', 'Fire' into 'Line slot' and so... You are ready to use staff. Than you want to make another staff. This time you will have totally different spells: say, 'Heal' bount to 'click slot' and 'Teleport' bound to 'arc slot' and so...
Is that what you meant by 'binding spells to items'? If so, than it is not much different than using a spellbook (though a bit faster and a way more complicated)

> Either you have a lot of combinations to remember, or you have a complicated menu, that stops you during fight.

Yes, if you know a gesture, you are not stopped during fight (though balance issue discussed earlier will MAKE you do it nevertheless)

> I want to use spells not as a weapon it self, but for special tactics (maybe in team).

Again, irrelevant. There is no link between 'which arsenal of spells you have' and 'how you cast your spells'.

> Cast the spell fast.

You can perform a gesture in a blink of an eye (unless, of course, you are using a touchpad) but then you have to wait several seconds to make your spell realy strong (balance, again). All advantage (both of player and the gesture system itself) is lost.

> I would rather have a few spells with different behavior...

'Using a mouse gesture to cast spell' and 'drawing spell projectile trajectory with mouse' are totally different, mutualy exclusive concepts. Unless, of course, you have own set of possible gestures for every single spell (with would require ENOURMOUS amount of work I even do not want to talk about)

> Overweight.

Well, if you realy want to burn some fat you should probably relinquish computer games and go outside for a walk (better jogging) :-)
Since your answer was a joke, lets leave it that way :-)

I do not want to criticise your idea in every possible way. In fact, there are a lot about it which I personally like very much (since I'm fond of using mouse gestures, for instance, in my web-browser). What I wanted to tell, is that things we discuss here are far more complex than simply a WAY of releasing your spell once it is in your disposition. When the entire spellcasting concept is set - who knows? - maybe there will be a place for a mouse gestures there.

Anyway, thanks for contribution (since the more fresh and interesting ideas we have, there are more chances we eventualy come up with the outstanding result).
Parent - - By Casimir [de] Date 2010-12-23 23:58
First of all: yes, some of my arguments where far-fetched. That's why I made the overweight statement at the end ;)
But I think there is some confusion. With item I mean everything you can carry. So item = staff, spellbook, shovel, snowball, shield... Also I taught to attach only a few spells to one specific item. Like you have the "staff of time" which can only be used for fasten time, slow time and stop time. So to use other spells you need another item. That means also that not the player choose the spells he want to use with this object, but the person who designs it.
Another thing I did not explained clearly is the power-up. I imagined like two kinds of usage. The first is click only, you aim and click, as you do it with the bow at the moment. When you hold the button only a short time, the arrow will fly only a short distance, when you hold it longer, it will fly longer. The other is for things you want to do fast, and maybe which need more than only one x and one y position. Think the frostbolt scroll, at the moment it has only one strength, so when using it you just have to choose a direction. Now imagine you click, but hold the button, move your pointer a short way and let it go, in the second you let go your mousebutton it will be shot - with a strength depending on the length of the way you moved. So there is no time-component. Or, as a example which combines both, imagine the wind scroll. When you use it now you can only chose the direction it will go. When using the mouse you can set the start and the end and so the place and the length of the wind, here powering as in the click-only way could be possible.

But, when you look at my so called "magic system" honestly, and cancel the words "staff", "spell", "mana", "magic" and so on, there remains nothing more than the idea of using objects/items more with the mouse and power up certain effects.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-12-24 00:00

>with a strength depending on the length of the way you moved

Yepp, that was also my plan to influence the strength of your spells. But seperated from the settlement stuff of course. :)
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-12-24 11:36
Alright, now I finally get it, thank you.
Though the idea of using mouse in more advanced way is really intriguing (again, resigning from talks about implementation difficulties), we can not afford it for every (even the simplest) item usage for it will bring unnecessary complications to the (for now) pretty much obvious item usage system.
Though I admit - mouse gestures might come quite handy when talking about purely magical stuff and ...hm... sword fighting (anyone played, for instance, 'Silver' ?)
Again. Thanks for clearing that out
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2010-12-18 13:56

> If I didn't know the combo magic system from CE, it would sound like a very specific feature to me. A feature that actually drills right through the current concept of controls, tools and menus - implementation-wise but also as a game mechanic.

Well, any ideas? I might be biased, but I consider the combo menu still one of the better design decisions - the theory is sound (and still applies) and it has worked pretty well in practice.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2010-12-18 14:04 Edited 2010-12-18 14:07
What I think we should put some thought into (as hinted above) is the spell selection. We might want to have a basic rock/paper/scissor in there somewhere in order to ensure variety of play. Like, say, have four elements where one defense spell counters two attack spells (and therefore each attack spell is also countered by two defense spells).

On the other hand, we could encourage specialization by having casting certain spells change your "aura" into this direction, buffing your spells, à la Hold Your Colors. That would encourage team-play between mages, as otherwise you might easily get countered.

Apart from that, we also need to consider fights between mages and normal Clonks. No single "attack" spell should be that much better than Clonkish spears or arrows. And no single "defense" spell should make the mage utterly imbalanced against getting attacked by a sword.

Those are the interesting design decisions imo. The combo-menu is pretty much a non-brainer compared to them :)
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-12-18 14:46
The spell selection is indeed very important. I would rather have a few spells with different behavior (AoE, straight-line, targeting) than a lot of spells that behave the same and, for example, only differ in being Fire or Water.

The first thing that comes to my mind would be that every spell hits every other spell and every spell deals some kind of damage (it's "power"). If a spell with a higher power hits a low power spell, the low power spell vanishes. And if two spells with the same power hit (two fireballs f.e.).. boom!
That's not very thought through and only the first thing that comes to my mind, though ;)
(PS: The advantage would be that we would not have to have specific "counter spells" while still make the player think about how to counter stuff)
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2010-12-18 19:04

>What I think we should put some thought into (as hinted above) is the spell selection. We might want to have a basic rock/paper/scissor in there somewhere in order to ensure variety of play...

>On the other hand, we could encourage specialization by having casting certain spells change your "aura" into this direction, buffing your spells, à la Hold Your Colors. That would encourage team-play between mages, as otherwise you might easily get countered.

I highly advise not to do it that way, balancing proofed extremly difficult in Castcavern - and Clonks standard magic or the addon packs neither managed to balance anything at all. The whole strategies developed through playing.

>Categorisation in spelltypes

Like: Attack, Defend etc. or Matter (like in for forcefield and interaction with nature) seem more nature to me like elements. Plus, elements have been worn out through the years.

>Apart from that, we also need to consider fights between mages and normal Clonks. No single "attack" spell should be that much better than Clonkish spears or arrows. And no single "defense" spell should make the mage utterly imbalanced against getting attacked by a sword.

A very difficult thing. Magic nearly always creates a new dimension of gameplay for example object creation, or some sort of new interaction with the Clonk. In addition you always have several spells to choose from, but you could only carry one sword. To balance magic with weapons, weapons should be enourmously powerful and spells weak. I doubt this is the design we aim for.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2010-12-18 23:04

> I highly advise not to do it that way, balancing proofed extremly difficult in Castcavern - and Clonks standard magic or the addon packs neither managed to balance anything at all. The whole strategies developed through playing.

Then maybe the spells were still too complicated? Maybe this means that we really should reduce to having 4 types of combat-related spells in only a handful of variations? Sure, we will have to do playtesting, and the more the better, but just giving up doesn't seem like a good idea either. I don't claim a plan will fix everything, but we should at least have a plan.

> Like: Attack, Defend etc. or Matter (like in for forcefield and interaction with nature) seem more nature to me like elements. Plus, elements have been worn out through the years.

Well, in case we end up aiming for 4x4 spells, it would be really good if we had two orthogonal categorisation schemes. Attack/Defend/Buff/Debuff or whatever would be one. What's the other one?

> A very difficult thing. Magic nearly always creates a new dimension of gameplay for example object creation, or some sort of new interaction with the Clonk. In addition you always have several spells to choose from, but you could only carry one sword. To balance magic with weapons, weapons should be enourmously powerful and spells weak. I doubt this is the design we aim for.

Well, mages should be relatively weak. Maybe have the shield deflect all kinds of attack spells?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-12-19 14:21

>Maybe this means that we really should reduce to having 4 types of combat-related spells in only a handful of variations?

That would mean that you basically limit yourself to having 4 "innovations" in spell design and just ship them in a few variants ("the Fireball deals 10% more damage than the Iceball, but the Iceball slows your Clonk!!!"). I would rather have every spell behave differently (as in balistic trajectory versus straight-line, AoE versus single target) than always use the same schema with small variations.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2010-12-19 14:29
Well, the theory is that it is better to have 4 spells that work really well than 16, of which only 4 get actually used because they suck the least. We should not mistake working ourselves to death for "innovation". If we can't balance it, we shouldn't do it.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-12-19 14:35
Well, if we have 4 types of combat-related spells that work, we can leave out the variations ;)
I am just saying that I really do not want the same spell with only slightly different behavior (Fireball/Iceball)
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2010-12-18 14:15

> You use mouse gestures by keeping the mouse button held after you open the menu and moving the mouse in the directions shown by the navigation tree on the screen. The cursor will snap back to the center of the menu after each selection so a single direction can be selected multiple times without delay.

Hm, another spontaneous idea: Maybe it might be worthwhile to *not* recenter the menu after selection, but instead have the next menu level start at the point where you selected? This has a few advantages:
* The eye doesn't have to travel back to the center to look at the new options
* We don't need to yank the cursor around - that's always a plus, as it can be disorienting. Note that in 3D games like CX, the center of attention is always the center of the screen, and you are accustomed to returning to it all the time anyway - so this kind of mouse jump makes much more sense there
* Spells would then be associated with "paths", which might be a lot easier to remember than pure key combinations. We could even enforce that visually by drawing it.

Oh yeah, and bringing it up early: Factor in the direction the Clonk is facing or not? :)
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-12-18 14:42 Edited 2010-12-18 14:46

>Oh yeah, and bringing it up early: Factor in the direction the Clonk is facing or not? :)

Hell, no. :)

>This has a few advantages:

Of course, the advantages are quite strong and I agree with all of your points. The disadvantage would be that you have trouble if you open the menu at the border of your screen. What happens then? Recentering the menu only if it would be outside of the screen?
Parent - By ala [de] Date 2010-12-18 19:06

>Hell, no. :)

I really enjoyed this feature in CR. It had a special feel to it, casting felt so natural.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2010-12-18 17:34
Regarding the scrolls, I was locally actually already occupied with moving the scrolls defined in multiple scenarios to Objects.c4d. Which includes separating the spells from the scrolls. I think I can still go ahead with that since scrolls can remain as they are used now.

P.S. Mimmo can you give me the graphics of the spells(not on scroll) and the scroll?
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2010-12-18 19:19
We should devide the different questions:

1. Control design
2. Interaction with the current gameplay?
3. Spell design and balancing

Although I enjoy casting spells, magic and all of it it doesn't fit the current gameplay.
The CR Mages are like super powerful hero fighters, more like Street Fighter or Cartoon heroes. I would divide this hero concept from the rest of the game like Hazard is divided from the Rest of CR. It simply doesn't fit.

There are different kinds of spells. And not all the kinds fit the gameplay. There are some of them like "Wind" or "Building a bridge" or a "Temporary Tunnel" or a "Earthquake", which act like powerful multisuable tools in OC and we should try to think with them like with tools. Tools are especially week in OC currently, so the abilities of a tool user could match a simple spellcaster.

Others are like items, like arrows, projectiles or like a bread which heals the user. But usable several times as well.

Powerfightning mages could be build but should not interfere with the normal system, and in fact they don't do in CR as well.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-12-18 19:26

>The CR Mages are like super powerful hero fighters, more like Street Fighter or Cartoon heroes. I would divide this hero concept from the rest of the game like Hazard is divided from the Rest of CR. It simply doesn't fit.

Well, it actually can fit if you have mana, that you need to cast spells. In normal melees where you would have swords and stuff (long settlement fights for example), mana would make the spells not necessarily better than bow&sword. But that's to be designed when building the settlement stuff.
For other scenarios (like the most played scenarios in CR: Battlefield and so on) you would most likely not have swords anyway but only use spells. And therefore they would also "fit" there.
I would not look at balancing between a sword and a wand too much when aiming for spells that are suitable for magic melees.

PS: Now that I think about it, it _could_ be suitable to have spells like earthquake, magic tunnel and so on in the main package while outsourcing the street fighter-spells into a seperate Spells.c4d. I am not convinced of that, though.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2010-12-18 23:28 Edited 2010-12-18 23:34
Uhm, this is getting complicated. Instead of answering everyone with similar variants, let's do this in one post in Newton's dreaded Whopper format:

> By doing this, the original concept of the magic in CP was distorted as it was just not working any more: The normal magic menu had become useless in the game. When Sven implemented the combo magic system, it was essentially a crutch to deal with this issue.

No, the old system never really made sense. I don't know what kind of game you played, but I found magic to be a hassle even in single player, with all the time in the world. For me, magic is about having "infinite possibilities at your fingertips". This is what makes the mage feel powerful: The colorful things he can do (change gravity!).

The points where I agree with you:
* The CR mage might have focused too much on the "killing stuff" aspect which actually should be the speciality of knights.
* This is an interface usability issue, not directly a speed issue. Having a delay until the spell gets cast would be acceptable for me. Still very much a fan of the "charging spells" idea: That would naturally introduce a delay and give you something to do: Aim and time the actual casting.

> The CR Mages are like super powerful hero fighters, more like Street Fighter or Cartoon heroes. I would divide this hero concept from the rest of the game like Hazard is divided from the Rest of CR. It simply doesn't fit.

Uhm, I would not want that. If mages have too much overlap with knights, this just leads to us to implementing everything twice. Instead we should aim for them to complement each other. That might mean buffing the party, or doing a big attack spell that the knight needs to provide cover for so it isn't interrupted. I would be perfectly comfortable with putting mage-mage combat second here.
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2010-12-19 10:20

>Still very much a fan of the "charging spells" idea

A Bit off topic: Hey, how do weapons go with this idea by the way? Holding the strike button longer would provide a more powerful strike for the club or a smoother/faster/further shot with the bow. Or a faster throw with the Flint (maybe a bit exaggerated). That's a nice, easy to control, challenging feature which could deepen knight combat.

For Mages I like Ringwauls idea about the different possibilities for spells, klicking Wind shorttime would provide a small wind change that could be like the CR Airstrike, a middle long klick would cast Ringwauls tornado and a long klick would change the wind in the level (like CRs Wind spell). Not all spells need to have this different meanings, and we simplify Spellcasting for the players because less spells need to be made this way. That reminds a little on the control of fightning games and I always liked those.

In addition it adds feeling, certain effects take a long klick - a long formula I would presume - and this adds atmosphere for difficult spells.

To be carful we need an easy possibility to disable the second, third or first use of spells for developers who need to have only one skill in a scenario.
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / First thoughts about a magic system
1 2 Previous Next