Not logged inOpenClonk Forum - Archive
Up Topic Community / Off Topic / This cat is pushing a watermelon out of a lake (locked)
- - Date 2010-12-22 02:00
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-12-21 19:59

>The download size isn't less because it's zipped anyway.

Well, it still won't hurt, and zip isn't the best format out there... neither when it comes to speed nor compression ratio.

>And disk space is cheap…

Indeed, but internet connection not always is...
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-12-21 20:07 Edited 2010-12-22 02:04
LOL, you amaze me Asmageddon! You manage to take apart a completely valid argument with three completely invalid irrelevant statements.

>it still won't hurt
>zip isn't the best format
>internet connection [isn't cheap]

Parent - - By Luchs [de] Date 2010-12-21 20:50

>it still won't hurt

Copying folders is much slower here than copying packed files. (but okay, you don't usually copy the Clonk-files around)

>zip isn't the best format

So why is zip the best format?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-12-21 21:05

>So why is zip the best format?

No, the real question would be "why does the quality of the zip-format have anything to do with the question why the files are archived?".
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-12-22 00:25 Edited 2010-12-22 00:28
EDIT: Oh wait, I'm sleepy.
EDIT 2: I definitely need to go to sleep...

It was said that the content is zipped anyway, and my point was that it often is possible to further compress data, especially if it's in multiple files and/or compressed using another algorithm(especially a better one :p)
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-12-22 00:23
Internet connect is not cheap everywhere, for me it's infeasible to get anything over 1MBit for an affordable price, especially since I don't live in a city.
It won't hurt because what bad can happen from compressing it?
And zip doesn't have a very good compression ratio. From my experiences at least following are better:
lzma
tar.gz
tar.bz2
rar
7z
The only OS they are not supported on out of the box is windows(and 7z and rar aren't on a mac, but these are rarely used anyway)

These argument's aren't invalid @.@
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-12-22 02:00
Congratulations, now you got me mad. You just repeated your irrelevant arguments. Could it be that you do not even realise when you are trolling?

> Internet connect is not cheap everywhere

So? Where does this relate to the point Spell made. Did he say "hey, lets blow up the DL package to 1GB because it won't hurt"?? Did I miss that line? Spell was talking about the UNPACKED files on the computer!

> It won't hurt because what bad can happen from compressing it?

Because C4Group compression does create problems like this. That's what the fucking topic is about! Do you ever read the topic before you spray out your unasked opinion?!

>And zip doesn't have a very good compression ratio. [I know some archive file formats, yaddayadda, also windows is shitty]

The compression ratio of ZIP is NOT THE POINT! Spell was not talking about the file format but about zipping of the release package in general. If you are zipping a gzip (C4Groups are gzips), this will not make a big size difference to zipping a tar. The file format of the release packages are NOT THE ISSUE here!

Period.
Parent - - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2010-12-22 09:00
Parent - By ala [de] Date 2010-12-22 12:10
Don't tell me, you've become a youtube addict..
Up Topic Community / Off Topic / This cat is pushing a watermelon out of a lake (locked)