Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / Organization Question
- - By Killtech [de] Date 2011-02-22 04:06 Edited 2011-02-22 04:17
now i've set up OC for development. now there is the question, where to start?

basically i don't want to do something someone else is programming. no need to make the work twice.
as i see there is little available for buildings yet... and since i'm interested in developing mainly coop settlement scenarios there is no apparent starting point for me.

what is the general plan for buildings and settlements btw? and who does the development on that part?

---
as for where i can help: all scripting for objects. but i have no skills with any graphical editing.
as a quite experienced c++ programmer i can also offer my assistance with the engine. but so far i've only used directX sdk and have no experience with openGL. however i'm not that much interested in that kind of development. i rather stick to scripting.
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2011-02-22 12:01 Edited 2011-02-22 12:05
The whole settlement issue is very much disputed, with just a few things materializing and still new ideas coming in. It's a huge system, and we want to reinvent a lot of it, so the discussion might stay like this for a bit. The whole process is currently probably pretty opaque to outsiders, we should start putting some effort into making clearer what the current state is. I wouldn't even know where to link you to right now :)
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2011-02-22 15:51
Actually, now that you speak of C++, in my opinion C++ developers is what the project needs the most. There are currently only a few developers that actively work on the engine (to name them: Günther and Clonk-Karl, sometimes also Mortimer and Isilkor) and C++ together with the huge engine is just something which requires more programming knowledge and experience than creating game content with C4Script. You mention that you know the directX SDK... there is one thing... (look at the date). It's one of the things that never got done because of the lack of Windows engine developers (who know the DX SDK). I can think of many more issues and tasks that must be done or will have to be done in the engine sooner or later. However, I can imagine that you don't feel like working through some list of tasks with no direct connection to some roadmap. If you want do look around in the engine, cling to the people mentioned above.

Also, of course, if you are more interested in level design of settlement scenarios (and other game content related stuff), you are also welcome to do this. Good game/level design is an important skill by itself. The people who currently work actively on game content are Maikel, Mimmo, Ringwaul and sometimes Zapper and Randrian. If you don't want to program something that is done already by one of them, you should talk with them. Also, perhaps they have ideas what could or should be done in the content development. As you point out yourself, there are not many objects for settlement, yet. So the design of settlement scenarios is probably too early - there is no settlement yet. A roadmap of some sort for settlement does not exist neither because, well, I guess because nobody who would then lead the development of the settlement created it yet.

So, basically, if you read about a cool idea here in the forum or have an idea yourself, you can directly start implementing and testing it as a prototype. This then first just goes into /planet/Tests.c4f/ in the repository (folder for tests, prototypes, odd objects,...) but since it is not really defined yet what will be part of the next release, the chances are high that your stuff is part of it if it turns out to be fun.
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / Organization Question