Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Just wondering about OpenClonk...
- - By RipClaw [us] Date 2011-05-10 18:54
...Will it eventually be more like the original Clonk games in terms of gameplay? Making buildings, mining for gold, researching, etc.? As of now, the game isn't very fun since there isn't very much to do. Only races and melees? Where's the fun in that? Once you win them once, there's no longer anything to do.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2011-05-10 19:17
Hey RipClaw. Well, the races and melees are meant to be played online or with friends. Regarding the future of OpenClonk, I like to say that it very much depends on the actual contributions of people who are interested to make OpenClonk into something. But the truth is, that we are already discussing about, designing and already implementing the "Making buildings, mining for gold, researching, etc." part of the game. Since we are currently reinventing Clonk in that matter, we  take our time to properly build the basics, you know?
Just take a look around in the forum, you are invited to contribute to the discussions or bring in new ideas :-)
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-05-10 20:53
See Newton:
The only reason that we started with only-Melee was that it was faster to implement and we could have our first release a lot earlier that way :)

Stay tuned for settlement stuff! (Will take some more time, though ;)  )
Parent - - By Anonymous [us] Date 2011-05-11 14:49
So, it is indeed coming and will eventually be as fun as clonk, with the same and more buildings and items?
Parent - By RipClaw [us] Date 2011-05-11 14:51
Oops, forgot to login first. That was me though.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2011-05-11 15:48
We expect OpenClonk not only to be as fun as older Clonk games were but also to be more advanced in graphics (by using 3D engine) and "user-friendly" (by heavily relying on mouse controls).

As for the number of items...
If we talk about standard pack then yes: we expect OpenClonk to have more items and buildings that Clonk Rage and Clonk Endeavour have (while still reusing much of them: sawmills, elevators, windmills, towers etc...).
If we talk about various object packs that were available for Clonk Rage (and older Clonk Games) then... well, in time maybe we will reach the number... :-).

But for now we struggle to implement basic gameplay (such as settlement) in order to make OpenClonk playable and fun
Parent - - By Nachtschatten Date 2011-05-12 15:14

> If we talk about standard pack then yes: we expect OpenClonk to have more items and buildings that Clonk Rage and Clonk Endeavour have (while still reusing much of them: sawmills, elevators, windmills, towers etc...).

Do you? Reading through the forum I rather get the impression that these things are far from being as clear as you describe them.
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2011-05-12 19:12
The only true removal that's up to discussion so far is the hut... Apart from that I would be surprised if OC wouldn't end up being substantially more complex than CR.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-05-11 15:50
Well, we hope that it will be as fun or even more fun than Clonk Rage!
We will not have the exact same buildings and items, since we are going to change a few things (about mining, production and so on) but I guess we will eventually have even more unique buildings and items!

But as I said: It will be some time until that milestone is finished :)
Parent - By RipClaw [us] Date 2011-05-12 01:57
Thanks for the replies! That was just what I was hoping to hear.

Can't wait until there's more to the game!
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Just wondering about OpenClonk...