Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / Mountain climbing scenario help
1 2 Previous Next
Parent - - By MrFoamy [gb] Date 2011-06-25 20:09
From experimenting it seems like i'll need to make a new version will all the filenames changed and all the references to the file names changed aswell. could take a little while but i'll give it a go at some point.
Parent - By MrFoamy [gb] Date 2011-06-26 02:11
I renamed everything and loaded it up in the old version and most of it seemed to be working except it looks like the modifications i made to the grapple causes it to no longer work with the old version. I imagine there's something I'm referencing that was added later so it's probably not an easy fix.
Parent - - By MrFoamy [gb] Date 2011-06-02 02:43
So does anyone have any idea for the pickaxe problem?

Also is it possible to change the opacity of textures? For example i found the snow to be hard to see with the background i have for the mountain scenario. I edited the texture to basically make the flakes pure white but they still look grey. I can find anything in the snow's material file to control this.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2011-06-02 10:33
The pickaxe problem may be due to a mismatch between your engine version and your content version, do you have the newest nightly or did you rebuild?
Parent - By MrFoamy [gb] Date 2011-06-02 10:59 Edited 2011-06-02 11:56
That's probably it, I forgot about that. I'll update the engine and see if it helps.

EDIT: Damn, doesn't seem to have worked.

EDIT2: That was the nightly build though. Is a rebuild necessary? The repository says nothing has been changed for days.
- - By MrFoamy [gb] Date 2011-06-01 07:22
I have just about finished my first scenarios,  White Mountain (based on ShiverPeak) and a second one called Crevasse (based on Cavern). I'm planning to do more (original scenarios) but as these are almost finished I think they are ready to share. What is the best method of doing so?

As I'm sure you can tell from the above posts they're not minor modifications and since it is impossible to do coop testing at the moment there are probably many issues that need fixing in them.
Parent - - By B_E [de] Date 2011-06-01 10:42
Probably the best method is to supply them here as .ocs (see above) and then they might get considered for inclusion or you get feedback on it. Great to hear somebody completely new to Clonk actually getting a grip on it and directly developing!
Parent - - By MrFoamy [gb] Date 2011-06-02 11:51
Here we go: Climb!

I put them in an ocf file.

I also finished a third called Acid Pit and included it although it seems to have a mysterious bug that sometimes kills you a dozen times a second when the round starts causing the game to crash. I'm hoping someone knows what's wrong.

EDIT: By the way they are all possible in single player but they wont be easy. I set up different equipment load-outs depending on the number of players in the game.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-06-02 17:38 Edited 2011-06-02 17:47
Some C&C:

Acid Pit was thrilling, though the first bug I noticed is that spawns will still spawn players when underneath the acid level. Otherwise quite fun.

The Crevice was too similar to Acid Pit, and falling to your death is very annoying; especially when you hit every spawnpoint on the way down, forcing you to redo the entire climb. :[ Also, you can skip 99% of the map by digging in a zig-zag pattern up either side, and then launching yourself to the final flag. Could be fixed by overwriting the Ice material with a copy that can only be blastfree (though I've wondered why it's not by default...). If you need any help with that feel free to contact me in IRC (server: irc.ham.de.euirc.net channel: openclonk-dev)

Fall damage may sound interesting, but it should be tweaked to be much more forgiving; allowing higher falls and less damage would definitely be a plus.

Sadly, couldn't get White Mountain to open without the engine crashing.

Also: I second B_E, great to see a new user applying themselves to create some custom stuff. Have you worked with CR content-development before?
Parent - By MrFoamy [gb] Date 2011-06-02 21:56 Edited 2011-06-03 05:31

>though the first bug I noticed is that spawns will still spawn players when underneath the acid level.

I decided to do that because otherwise there wasn't much risk. I think i'll change it so that players only have one life per checkpoint but still only one person needs to make each one.

>The Crevice was too similar to Acid Pit,

Yeah i know, the original idea behind it was that the main risk was being buried by snow and ice rather than the falling. I will look into the fall damage to make it vary depending on the material you land on. I'll fix the digable ice now too. Not sure how i forgot about that.

>Sadly, couldn't get White Mountain to open without the engine crashing.

What does the log say? I haven't experienced any crashes on there before.

Thanks for the feedback.

EDIT:

>Have you worked with CR content-development before?

No i haven't.

EDIT2: Realised that the reason i left the ice as digable is because of the earthquakes. I cant find a solution that stops the digging but keeps the quake. At this rate i will probably just not give people a shovel.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2011-06-02 18:47
The crash is caused by placing the parkour start outside landscape bounds. I'll actually resolve this bug inside the parkour goal, still you need to improve the start point placing algorithm.

Some criticism: I like the general idea, love the backgrounds and the settings. But the gameplay and landscapes are too repetitive, all scenarios are based around the grappler, and if you can handle that well and use the jump hack well. I know there are not many objects available but still explosives are useless in the landscapes you provide, and I guess that for less experienced players, handling the grappler with such precise detail as is need here becomes annoying quickly.
Parent - By MrFoamy [gb] Date 2011-06-02 22:15

>The crash is caused by placing the parkour start outside landscape bounds.

I wondered if that was the cause but I'd had a couple when i couldn't see my spawn and the game loaded fine. I'll redo the algorithm, it was pretty hacked together anyway.

>explosives are useless in the landscapes you provide, and I guess that for less experienced players, handling the grappler with such precise detail as is need here becomes annoying quickly.

That's probably the main reason coop is more fun, at least when you play with less experienced people. I found that on the mountain at least explosives and rope ladders were use regularly to help get us around overhangs.

What would you recommend to make greater use of explosives for? The only thing i can think of are overhangs you cant get the grapple around. I'd quite like to reduce the capabilities of the grapple but in that case the repetition of the grapple would just be replaced with explosives.

I tried disabling the grapple on ice but found it made the game impossible as the explosives often just generate even bigger overhangs and on large ice walls the only way of getting above them would be to blast a straight line above you until you hit open air again.

I'm tempted to create some new climbing related equipment to add some more challenge. I'll have to think about it in detail though.

Thanks for the feedback.
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / Mountain climbing scenario help
1 2 Previous Next