Not logged inOpenClonk Forum - Archive
Up Topic Community / Off Topic / I made a game
- - By Duncan [de] Date 2011-06-24 13:13
Hi everyone, I have spent the last 6 months working on a project which some of you here might enjoy. The goal was to create a virtual boardgaming environment, not for casual browser/console gamers but for real boardgame players. One main feature is the complete lack of any rules code, meaning players have to know how to play the game and will not be spoon fed, but also meaning players can play whatever house rules they like, and even use it as a platform to quickly and easily create new boardgames and test them without the cost of publishing or making a physical copy. The next main feature is that all game content is in an external, modifiable format and that content added to a servers user assets is automatically shared with clients that join it. This means that as the community grows the list of playable games should grow very fast. Come check out the buggy beta version and the empty master server lobby :-p

http://www.gametheatre.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1&p=1#p1
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-06-24 14:24
Sounds interesting

>One main feature is the complete lack of any rules code

That means that (when I play against a random stranger over the internet) I could basically cheat like I could cheat in a real boardgame if my opponent does not pay attention, right? That sounds as if that could be a source of a lot of rage (especially when you play against strangers) :)
Parent - - By Duncan [de] Date 2011-06-24 14:45
There is an event window which notes every action any player performs. You can read through and you have evidence they are cheating. If you play RL boardgames you will know that this is a step up from real life where it is very hard to catch cheaters. I am also in the process of implementing a blacklist/whitelist system so people can build up groups of people they trust and like. One of the facts of the internet is that when you have millions of people you have trolls and cheats, there are mechanisms in place to deal with that though.

Though if someone is not paying attention then none of these measures will be good enough. Nevertheless some people seem to get by in RL with games so this should be doable too. If someone is not paying attention you probably wont need to cheat to beat them though
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-06-24 16:36

>Nevertheless some people seem to get by in RL with games so this should be doable too

True, but you are only playing with your personal "whitelist" in real life :)

I just fear that it will be basically impossible to hop into a game against a random stranger because you would always have to expect that the game is not going to be a "real" one, because either the stranger tries to cheat and you catch him (which probably ends the game) or he cheats and you don't notice it

The plus side is obviously that - as you said - it is extremely easy to create a new game compared to if you would have to code the rules as well. So I definitely think it's worth a try - even if you can only play with your personal whitelist, like in real life
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-06-24 17:02
Ooh, based on Unity? For which language exactly is Unity?

Edit: The build doesn't respond after start for me.
Parent - By Duncan [de] Date 2011-06-24 22:30
Unity is a game development suite, I don't know what language it is written in but it supports a bunch of scripting languages. If you can give me some more detail, eg. what is on the screen when it stops responding, I might be able to help. There is also an output_log.txt file in the data folder which might have useful information. The loading times are quite high at the moment so make sure you really wait before you are sure it has stopped responding, especially if your machine is old.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2011-06-25 11:29
Doesn't work on Mac. Main menu shows, but every attempt to start a game gives a box saying "CompilerGenerated.__Load_OnGUI$callable0$228_64_".

But why the 3D environment? The boardgames you are interested in are very 2D in nature, it seems, hm, distracted to make a 3D "metagame" around that? Sort-of like Clonk had a strategy frontend once - which wasn't that great in its own right, and quickly got dropped later.
Parent - By Duncan [de] Date 2011-06-25 12:58 Edited 2011-06-25 13:08
The board games I am interested in are not necessarily the ones in the current release. As to the mac thing, that error means that I put the user assets folder in the wrong place, or that it can't access it for some other reason. I will look into it but if you try moving it to other game folders and try running it again you may hit on the solution. Please let me know the location if you find it.

edit: ok it needs to be moved up one level in the tree, to the 'contents' directory thanks for pointing this out to me I will modify the download. If you could retest that and just confirm for me that it works at all I would appreciate it as I have no mac test machine.
Up Topic Community / Off Topic / I made a game