Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / network game
- - By jimajima [ca] Date 2011-07-08 21:11
I was wondering how often people go online because I've been on for the past 2 days and haven't seen any rooms with people in them.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-07-08 22:09
Currently there is really not much online action going one. Partly due to the fact that playing with the current release is not 100% stable - quite some users have experiences crashes when trying to start an online game, partly because the release is pretty old already (December last year I guess?) and only contains a couple of melee scenarios and finally because there is just no player base who constantly plays those few scenarios for so many months :)
(Compare to CR for example where you have hundreds of available scenarios for online play)

PS: Not to forget that the main part of the Clonk community still comes from Germany - when those players play, you are probably asleep :/
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-07-09 10:40
I suggest we go for another release when Peter's hq3x is working fine for everyone.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-07-09 12:23
Sounds like a good idea.
But we should really, really make sure it is stable this time.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2011-07-09 12:33
I somewhat doubt that we will manage to make it work for "everyone". At least the Intel chips seem to require significant hacks...
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2011-07-09 14:05
And even if it works, it might be too slow for some graphic cards, my laptop already has some problems to keep 36 frames.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-07-09 14:06
My guess is that this is due to the model rendering, which is pretty slow at the moment.
Did you try comparing a scenario without any models with and without the new landscape shader?
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-07-09 17:53
Have you tried StartScriptProfiler in Tests.ocf/Lines.ocs?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-07-09 19:01
No, I haven't

But I have ported and heavily optimized the model rendering code once already and know how slow it is :)
(Those optimizations can most likely not be ported, though)
(And I am procrastinating porting it a second time - but my version was one of the firsts and I need the new features :(  )
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2011-07-10 11:08
What optimizations did you do?
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-07-10 12:01
I moved certain stuff that I can do only once (or I don't need at all) out of the PerformMesh-function. For example the gluPerspective and related calls. But something else I did was not setting and resetting certain OpenGL states every time I call PerformMesh (enable GL_NORMALIZE, enable LIGHTNING, ShadeModel = SMOOTH, the setup of the light and all that small stuff).
Now I only set these states when the last thing I rendered was not a mesh (and reset them before rendering anything else, of course).

I just assume that I sometimes need to render >50 meshes in a row - without always having to change certain OpenGL states
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-07-09 18:00
Well lets say when it works for normal graphics cards like mine ;-)... normalmaps for textures are something for when/if dynamic light sources work right?
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2011-07-09 20:01
Well, it won't make much sense without a light concept. I could put in a quick hack for global light coming from a certain direction, would that help you?
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / network game