Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Poll about the new building texture approach

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to pluto
This thread is a poll in regard of the discussion about a color palette for building (and vehicle) textures, see here: http://forum.openclonk.org/topic_show.pl?pid=31165

I just want to add to that: my texture set is mainly already available apart from potential finetuning, to get some lost details back.
Other texture versions still need to be done by someone (which is very likely not being me in the next time). So basically the decision to make is, having the orange texture set somewhen the day after tomorrow in the nightly built, or waiting for the alternative texture sets for which I do not feel responsible. That means, they can come very soon, but also maybe never.

Copied from Svens last post in the mentiond thread:
So we have the options:
1. pluto's bright orange-y brown. Buildings stand out most. They are most recognizable, but at the cost of competing with recognition of clonks and other animals standing (in front of them).
2. Nachtfalter's darkened version. Still colored but buildings stand out a bit less. Lies somewhere between 1 and 3.
3. Marky's desaturated version. Buildings have least contrast to earth, but also integrate most. Does not disturb the scene, but at the cost of being less recognizable individually. [comment by me: and is quite similar to the current colors, so least effect for work needed]
4. Current colors. Would be least work to keep.

Did I miss anything? Do people want to discuss more?

I think all versions have some valid arguments and it comes down to personal taste. Maybe bright colors emphasize the chaos that's definitely part of clonk rounds, while the darker/desaturated ones try to achieve some harmony for the whole scene.

I suggest to simply make a poll with these options. Allow selection of multiple options, so we don't need to discuss after the poll which votes would need to be added. Whoever wants to modify colors has community approval to change the color scheme to be approximately like the proposed version.

1)

2)

3)

4)