Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Maybe Steam is actually an answer?

This board is threaded (i.e. has a tree structure). Please use the Reply button of the specific post you are referring to, not just any random button. If you want to reply to the topic in general, use the Post button near the top and bottom of the page.

In Response to Zapper
As you know that has been discussed around twice a year now, but I'll try to answer all parts of your post :)

>One of the points against Steam was the fact that you want to keep Open Clonk free for everyone and f2p games on Steam typically have microstransactions

Yes, but I think that's a minor point and wouldn't hold us back from a release on Steam

>Ofc there's an argument about money, quite obviously getting the game on Steam is not for free and unfortunately I don't know much about that process

I think if we really wanted to press a Steam release, it would be relatively easy to collect the money for that

>Another thing that was brought up is that OC wouldn't be featured by Steam anywhere since it's free and probably wouldn't have any form of monetisation which is true and it kinda kills the point of having the game on Steam

Sure, it would receive not as much attention as other games that can be presented in a sale. A bit of marketing would still be better than no marketing :)

>1. Automatic updates of the game. It's an obvious thing.

We already have automatic updates for releases (you can update from the network game view)

>2.  Steam Cloud?
>3. Steam workshop.

Don't forget that supporting both of those does not come for free and requires (probably a lot of) work. I doubt that we would have workshop or Steam cloud support in a (first) Steam release. So we should not make our decision depend on that

>..sharing mods and maps ..

Kanibal, NativeException, Luchs and me already implemented ingame mod management (sneak peek). It's not in the 8.0 release because we still lack a server, but it's pretty much finished.

>3.2. Localisation. A bit of a random thing

Clonk already supports language packs - we just don't have tools to support the creation of those (we also wouldn't have those when we were on Steam) :I

>4. Multiplayer improvements via steam

Yes, supporting those would be handy (but also requires work).

I think during the last discussion, the general sentiment towards a Steam release was rather positive. However, we thought that we would have exactly one shot. And Clonk still has some major issues (e.g. no gamepad & splitscreen support).
So the decision was not so much /against/ a Steam release but rather against a Steam release /now/. But noone knows when the right time would be, either :)