Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Bump-Maps for materials
- - By Dragonclonk [de] Date 2009-05-25 13:49
I think, it's a good idea, when bump-maps would be integrated in the material.c4g. So landscapes would be more realistic, cause there is a depth perception. I don't know, whether this is possible. What's your opinion?

For the ones, who don't know how a bump map looks like: http://www.nvnews.net/previews/geforce3/images/multitexturing/bump_map.jpg
Here is a Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bump_mapping
Parent - By ch1 [de] Date 2009-05-25 14:56
I think, its a very good idea. For exampel, Bethesda Softworks use this Methode for their own games(Oblivon and Fallout 3). So they are able to put more details in the Textures. ;)
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2009-05-25 16:45
But that would need a doublicate landscape in grapics card memory. :/
Parent - By Dragonclonk [de] Date 2009-05-25 17:57
Yes, thats right. But perhaps later this is possible without "laaging".
Parent - - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2009-05-25 18:50
Bump maps are always a 256colors greyscaled picture. You show us a Normal map (which is much better than a bump map).
Parent - By Dragonclonk [de] Date 2009-05-26 11:42
Yes, but when I showed a typical bump map, then some peoples would say for example: "Thats a normal landscape11!"
But you're right. normal maps are better, but which kind of this both would be better? We have to take into account what's more usefull.
Parent - - By Simsi [de] Date 2009-05-26 14:34
I think you mixed up with Normalmaps. As far as I know Bumpmaps are only black-white, like heightmaps and the renderer has to calculate the normals from this Heightmap. And that what you showed is a Normalmap, cause the colors directly show the direction of the normals.
</OT>
Good idea, with the dynamic lighting which is also planned there could be nice effects.
Parent - By Dragonclonk [de] Date 2009-05-27 13:49

>I think you mixed up with Normalmaps. As far as I know Bumpmaps are only black-white, like heightmaps and the renderer has to calculate the normals from this Heightmap. And that >what you showed is a Normalmap, cause the colors directly show the direction of the normals.

Please look up to my answer to Nachtfalter. :)
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Bump-Maps for materials