Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Pickaxe Balancing Suggestion
- - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-11-05 06:56
I had an idea the other day to balance the pickaxe. Currently, if a player gets a pickaxe they will no longer need explosives unless you just want to speed things up. This kind of sucks because it balances an item with being "boring to use".

I would suggest instead, make the pickaxe and chemlab consistent with the axe and sawmill: the hand-tool is less efficient than the structure. This could be done by having a 25% to receive Rock instead of Ore/Gold when mining.

What do you think?
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2012-11-05 07:03
Good idea, yes. Just what do you do about the boringness then? This won't make the pickaxe any faster.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-11-05 07:56
Making the pickaxe a little faster would only require changing a single value in the script. Making that not look silly might be another issue. :)
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2012-11-05 10:57
Good idea! But regarding the speed of the pickaxe, IMO it should stay the same.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-11-05 11:41
I am stiill completely against the pickaxe giving resources :D

The pickaxe has other strengths: getting rid of remaining pixels, quickly getting somewhere, mining gems/crystals *cough*

(and not by making it give rock - sometimes you need rock. What about mining rock??)
Parent - - By ker [de] Date 2013-01-23 20:39
I think I've read most of what's on the forum about pickaxes now and I agree with you.
Therefore I've created a quick hack to test an idea of mine, and it works:
Pickaxe patch
Took some messing with the BlastFree function (adding a boolean parameter that changes behavior from dropping Blast2Object to dropping Break2Object if set to true)
Similar to how DigFree has a parameter to choose between dropping resource and dropping nothing.

About the idea:
Pickaxe can mine everything that explosives can.
Pickaxe is faster than right now, so all this stuff doesn't take forever.
Pickaxe mines Raw Rock instead of Rock.
Raw Rock can be ground down to Rock at a Grinder (looks similar to a sawmill, more efficient than explosives?)
Raw Rock can be thrown and changes back to Material Rock.

Is this idea stupid?
Is it not worth changing the engine for?
Is there a better way to achieve the idea (except for doing everything by script that BlastFree does)?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-01-23 21:20
I am not sure what I think about the raw rock idea.

More teraforming possibilitiess for the player is a plus.
But you can still create rock with the pickaxe, it just is even more hassle for the player (Grinder etc.). So I am against the Raw Rock -> Rock thing. But having something like "Raw Rock" without being able to change it to pure rock is weird, too.

The material that changes to solid rock could rather be something like our old "Liquid Concrete" from CR, imo.
Parent - By ker [de] Date 2013-01-23 22:00
New Building: Explosion chamber. Put 5 Raw Rocks and an explosive device (dynamite/flint) in there and BOOM 5 rocks come out. j/k

I see your point… No conversion then.
But about the Liquid Concrete. A raw rock and water could yield Liquid Concrete?

Dunnow what to do about stuff like raw gold or raw ore.
Parent - - By ker [de] Date 2013-01-25 12:51
*pickaxe turns blastable material to raw material
*raw material can be changed to "liquid raw material" in grinder/chemlab
*liquid raw material acts like liquid concrete, or like some kind of sticky stuff (throw against a wall, you get a blob at the wall)
*if raw material is inside of an explosion nothing happens to it (otherwise one flint could change a stack of ~one_gazillion raw gold to gold)

too many steps/extra materials? How about "if you have a bucket in your inventory, the material is put in there, place it like you place earth with a bucket", otherwise the material disappears into oblivion.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-01-25 12:57

>too many steps/extra materials?

Yes, for me that are too many little unneccessary steps for a simple goal.

I like the pickaxe+bucket idea better.
Parent - By ker [de] Date 2013-01-25 14:29
why doesn't the shovel already work this way?
imo working with the bucket is very painful currently
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2013-01-25 17:09
Not following this at all, but the bucket idea sounds kind of nice - the logic would be that explosions give you whole chunks that you can carry around, while the pick-axe gives you a finer granulate that you have to transport using the bucket (and can empty wherever to terraform) or otherwise lose.

Making liquid something out of it would then be a nice-to-have extra feature, so the process is actually quite easy. I like the sound of making it more sticky, though. More options :)
Parent - By ker [de] Date 2013-01-25 17:14
I just noticed: earth is already behaving in a sticky way, I guess not much change in code required in that aspect.
Parent - - By ala [nl] Date 2013-01-23 23:49
Just a kind of radical idea I had for this balancing, just now:

-Make the pickaxe fast
-But make explosions bigger

Hence, making explosions more effective - speeding up mining in general. Maybe this is worth a thought.

If explosions work like in Clonk Rage, this is automatically a lot more effective: In Clonk Rage a tera flint created a lot more material by blasting as if one mined the same area with flints. I don't know why this was the case, but the bigger the radius, the greater the difference. I even used tflints all the time because of this (they had a bigger radius than flints). If this is still to strong the pickaxe could skip every third material or something.

If we want slow mining (classical, quite understandable) the pickaxe just doesn't fit because it is just to fast. Making it artificially slow didn't work, because it was still fast in comparison to the mining process with creating explosives.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2013-01-24 00:23
The only reason I could think of would be rounding artifacts... The engine even saves leftover material in objects to compensate for this, but unless I'm mistaken these would be in the flints, and therefore just get deleted instantly.
Parent - - By ala [nl] Date 2013-01-24 08:47
I always suspected that the borders of a blast create no object (because these would get stuck). So if you have less borders you get more material.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-01-24 09:58
But objects were always spawned in the center of a blast :3
Parent - - By ker [de] Date 2013-01-24 10:14
how about changing that behavior to storing leftover material globally for the scenario?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-01-24 10:49
You could teleport material that way
Parent - - By ker [de] Date 2013-01-24 12:17
how so? only every now and then somewhere where you'd only get 2 gold out of some material you'd get 3.
But at least nothing would go missing.
of course, you'd have to make sure to only check the scenario mat table for gold if any gold got destroyed in the current action. otherwise yes, you could create gold from digging dirt. but that's an internal issue.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-01-25 00:33
In CR you could teleport material by digging around until you filled your internal storage. Then when you needed it you had to dig out only a few pixels to create an earth chunk.

When blasts would remember material, you could - when lucky - blow away one pixel of gold to get a whole chunk. I am not sure whether I like that [because making big blasts more rewarding for the player is not the worst thing to me :) ].
Parent - - By ker [de] Date 2013-01-25 12:17
not storing them globally makes the pickaxe more rewarding, as it remembers all the pixels.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-01-25 12:25
I am still against the pickaxe giving any ressources ;)
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Pickaxe Balancing Suggestion