Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Ropes
- - By J. J. [py] Date 2012-11-05 19:36
This is not a necessary, but it would be nice to have ropes that can connect to almost everything like tying clonks to trees tying stuff onto the blimp etc...
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2012-11-05 20:43
That's work in progress. Stable rope physics is nothing you just come up with just like that.
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2012-11-07 18:56
Yes, I understand that, that's why I said it's not necessary at least not at the moment.
Parent - - By masterstroggo [se] Date 2013-03-25 03:55
I realize this is an old thread, but I'm just curious how all the ideas for rope usage are coming along? Any news for future versions?
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-03-25 09:21
There is a rope branch with some code on engine internal ropes. It looks like ck has done some work, but I don't know how far this has advanced.
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2013-03-25 09:33
The most recent code is in my experimental repository here:
http://git.openclonk.org/ck/openclonk.git/shortlog/refs/heads/rope

I last worked on it around Christmas, and it behaves well in most cases, but there are still some pathological cases where it just goes crazy. The major challenge is proper interaction with the landscape (especially around edgy corners) and with objects attached to the rope, since the object movement is independent from the rope execution (could possibly be changed, but would be a major change to how object movement works -- right now the rope code is nicely separate).
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-03-25 09:57

>right now the rope code is nicely separate).

Have in mind that something like that is exactly what had never been possible in script before, so if it helps and simplifies the code, it shouldn't be a hold-back imo
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2013-03-25 10:58
It certainly would be everything but a simplification. The point is that it might improve the interaction between ropes and objects if properly done. Right now I have no idea how it would have to look like exactly, though, so some thought would need to go into it before.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-03-25 11:30
Mh, so I guess having working ropes is not realistic for the next release after the OCM in ~May? :)
Parent - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2013-03-25 17:59
Let's say it's unlikely...
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Ropes