Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Suggestions for improvement: GUI/menu
- - By Dragonclonk [de] Date 2012-12-12 12:11
View the attachments.

I hereby license the file gui1.png under the CC-BY license

I hereby license the file gui2.png under the CC-BY license

I hereby license the file gui3.png under the CC-BY license
Attachment: gui1.png - color choice feature (267k)
Attachment: gui2.png - portrait path: double click (332k)
Attachment: gui3.png - resolutions option (347k)
Parent - - By Isilkor Date 2012-12-12 13:23

> Attachment: gui1.png - color choice feature (267k)

I actually wanted to have a moving Clonk in the color picker, but it's not trivial because that means we'd have to load Objects.ocd.

> Attachment: gui3.png - resolutions option (347k)

Yeah that checkbox is probably obsolete now and should be removed.
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2012-12-12 19:23

>it's not trivial because that means we'd have to load Objects.ocd.

Why not hard code it?
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [ch] Date 2012-12-12 19:24

> I actually wanted to have a moving Clonk in the color picker, but it's not trivial because that means we'd have to load Objects.ocd.

Why would you need to load the full Objects.ocd? Can't you just read Objects.ocd\Clonk.ocd\Graphics.mesh with C4Group?
Parent - - By Isilkor Date 2012-12-13 02:11
I guess I could but that sounds so inextensible :(
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-12-13 07:38
Or you could copy&paste the mesh (+skins?) to Graphics.ocg and load from there. I doubt that few kilobytes will hurt anyone :)
Parent - By Isilkor Date 2012-12-13 10:31
2 MB
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2012-12-13 11:58
if it helps - the object-image cache idea has come up a number of times, so it might be useful for other things too :)
Parent - - By Dragonclonk [de] Date 2012-12-14 16:56
One more suggestion: Translate scenario title in network (use Title.txt): English players can't translate the German titles and do not join.
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2012-12-14 20:49
Another thing that doesn't have a simple and beautiful solution. One could send all available Titles with the network reference, but that would defeat language packs. One could load the titles for locally available scenarios, (on occasion, one would probably also load the icon) but that's dangerous in regard to blocks and loading times and can't work for unavailable scenarios.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2012-12-14 23:13

>One could send all available Titles with the network reference, but that would defeat language packs.

What do titles have to do with language packs? Locally they are already "replacing" language packs? So why not just send them over the internet, just like the scenario goal.
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2012-12-14 23:16 Edited 2012-12-15 00:19
Well, the remote client may not have that certain language pack.

Of course, there is a solution to this. It's just not done because there is no simple way of covering all the cases.
Parent - - By B_E [de] Date 2012-12-16 02:31

>One could send all available Titles with the network reference, but that would defeat language packs.

What? Language packs have never been asynchronous anyway, have they? Afaik you have to have the same scenario with the same Language*.txts, so if you haven't got the language pack you haven't got the scenario, so any local lookup-solution won't help either.

>One could load the titles for locally available scenario

You don't need to sync that stuff up. As you mentioned first, you simply send them all by adding TitleDE=, TitleUS= etc. to the reference for the masterserver. That usually only includes english and german anyway, which can't hurt that much amount-wise especially when seeing what other kinds of non-important stuff are transmitted.
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2012-12-16 02:50
Well, what do we do if, say, a french person looks at the reference of somebody that doesn't have a french language pack installed? And even if the host had it installed - do we really want to speculatively load all language packs just for the scenario titles?

Not saying that this is impossible or anything, just a bit awkward. I still think the best solution would be to fallback to the Scenario.txt Title. If the author's half-way considerate, that will be a title that's internationally understood. Good coding project for somebody looking for something easy.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2012-12-19 22:14
Also the description is blocking everything. It should be displayed in a set area instead of hovering over everything else.
Parent - - By Gurkenglas [de] Date 2012-12-20 22:28
Also, the buildings should have icons that carry information about the structure's function and are distinguishable from the menu background.
Im talking a heated metal ingot icon for the foundry, a hammer hammering on a hammer for the tools workshop, a lightbulb for the inventors lab, stuff like that.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2012-12-20 22:42
I think one can easily tell what a building does by looking at it's image, name and description.
Parent - By Gurkenglas [de] Date 2012-12-21 01:18
I find myself looking through the whole hammer menu to find what I wanted to build more than you might expect.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2012-12-21 12:32
I agree that the icons are really hard to distinguish even if you know what you are looking for. Having an icon other than the building graphics sounds like a good idea.

Problem is we'd probably need it for *all* buildings for consistency.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-12-21 12:54
Maybe it would help to choose a more distinguishable pose for the title images?
(side view, for example)
Parent - By Dragonclonk [de] Date 2012-12-31 16:10
Also the object/ammo counter needs to be visible when object is used in the right hand. The number could be displayed above the hand.

I hereby license the file numbers.png under the CC-BY license
- By Dragonclonk [de] Date 2012-12-25 10:55
For the ring menu I'd recommend the use of ammo numbers instead of "object numbers". In the screenshot case the bow got 5 arrows and the musket got 3.

Also I addressed the possibility of multiple choices.
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Suggestions for improvement: GUI/menu