Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Fluff's feeback: Number two point five
- - By Fluff [gb] Date 2013-03-09 14:59 Edited 2013-03-09 17:15
Spent two hours playing gold rush. Thoughts as follows.

>6) When making loam, the building says I need 250 (irc) water and 25 dirt. Shame I don't know how much water or dirt is carried in a barrel/bucket. When you're making something in a building, it would be nice to see how many of which items you need to put in, as opposed to checking what you're making, then checking what the recipe for that item is, then checking what's already in the building.

This seems to have got worse. Trying to make loam became an awkward process of filling a barrel, filling a bucket, taking the bucket out of the foundry, emptying it, then re-filling it, then putting it back into the foundry, and repeating with that and the barrel until it finally decided to make my loam.

Also, when placing loam and digging, sometimes I really want to go perfectly horizontally or vertically, making a straight line with no sloping at all. The only way I've found of doing this so far is to zoom out as far as possible and place the mouse a great distance from my clonk, and this still isn't fool-proof.

>3) Elevators. Auto-movement. Aside from letting a load of water into the mineshaft, this also meant that when I had a clonk at the bottom of the shaft in the water, the elevator came down and apparently pushed him into the iron ore at the bottom. He got stuck and drowned. How about some buildings be controllable from a distance with the mouse? I.e. click elevator, elevator starts moving.

My elevators' auto-movement became one of my main obstacles this round. Trying to mine iron/rock/gold at the bottom of the shaft is a pain. If the elevator case is touching the bottom, whatever it covers becomes un-mineable. Instead, you have to move the elevator slightly upwards, pickaxe out a very small layer of iron/rock/whatever, then move it down, then back up, and repeat. It would be much nicer if I could just tell the elevator "Stay still!" and make it leave me alone until I was done.

And again, buildings being controllable via mouse. Control + click maybe? Would be fun to be able to tell an elevator to go up or down or stop moving or whatever without having to walk to it. Also, being able to make a pump stop draining power for a few seconds while I'm at the bottom of a mine-shaft an the elevator can't pick me up because of said pump. If control + click gets rejected, how about a new item: the remote control! A small wooden block with a big red button on it and a little crooked antenna sticking out the top. When used, you can click any building (or possibly any building that you are flag-connected to) to interact with it as if you had pressed space in front of it. Move elevators, turn pumps on/off, give build orders to foundries and workshops, the possibilities are endless!

This is just a little gap to try and make my wall-of-text a bit easier on the eyes.

Build orders
If I want to make 20 bars of iron, I have to click the job 20 times. Instead, why not let us set buildings to automatically do a certain job when they can, by say, shit-clicking it. Shift- click the iron-bar icon in the smelter, and then whenever it has iron ore and fuel, it will automatically make an iron bar. If multiple jobs are queued like this, it will alternate them.

Also, when transferring the contents of a lorry to a smelter or whatever, shift click to move all of an item at once, instead of having to click 50 times to empty the damn thing? Please?

Looorrries. An easier way of moving a load of items onto the ground into a lorry. How-about if you press e while grabbing a lorry, it opens an additional ring with items on the
floor nearby?

If you're holding lorries and you press e, the lorries contents should always appear. I was holding a lorries and standing in front of a workshop. I wanted to move the the contents of the lorry into the workshop. I pressed e. But although I was holding the lorry, it was a bit in front of me, so only the the workshop ring appeared. So I have to close it, and either move the lorry or let go and move my clonk, then re-grab it. This happened many times. I know it's a minor-issue, but minor things can really make a difference, so I really think this should be changed.
This is just another gap.
And lastly, also minor, it would be cool if, when you put two elevators together, the two elevator cases could actually merge into one bigger-looking one.

Also, I'd like to upload a screenshot of the end of my goldrush round, but I can't find where OpenClonk saves screenshots. Help plox?
Parent - - By Andriel Date 2013-03-09 16:42

>>I can't find where OpenClonk saves screenshots.

$User$\AppData\Roaming\OpenClonk\Screenshots
Parent - By Fluff [gb] Date 2013-03-09 17:12
Many thanks =)
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-03-09 19:53
Valid points. For some of the control/inventory related stuff, I might find the opportunity to improve that in the Controls branch that I am working on.

The elevator: it really is annoying sometimes, had already been in CR actually. If we don't introduce remote-control (f.e. shift+click) for all buildings, doing that only for the elevator would not be good (consistency..yadda..yadda..) - additionally you might not even be able to see the elevator when down in your mine.
So, do we find another solution? For example the auto-moving could be disabled for a few seconds after sending the elevator somewhere (via grab+click). Obviously new players wouldn't know that. And I would prefer a solution that prevents even new players from being annoyed by the elevator.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2013-03-09 20:30
We wouldn't need that if you could simply mine stuff even if the elevator case covers said materials....

And the super mario solidmasks :)
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-03-09 20:39
Well, usually you wouldn't want to blow up your elevator case, though.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2013-03-09 20:46
Exactly, it shouldn't be touched by friendly explosions...
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-03-09 20:53
I don't like that.
Parent - By Fluff [gb] Date 2013-03-09 22:09
Mining with a pickaxe, on the other hand...
Parent - - By Fluff [gb] Date 2013-03-09 22:08

>had already been in CR actually.

But at least in Rage you could turn-off the auto-movement.

>If we don't introduce remote-control (f.e. shift+click) for all buildings, doing that only for the elevator would not be good (consistency..yadda..yadda..) -

All the more reason to introduce remote-control for all buildings :)

>additionally you might not even be able to see the elevator when down in your mine.

When zoomed out to the max?

>(f.e. shift+click)

I suggested ctrl+click to avoid the possibility of really needing to throw something, but accidentally opening a building menu instead. Unlikely, but you never know.
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2013-03-09 22:35

>When zoomed out to the max?

That should be (and is) forbidden in many scenarios, imo. And even when you allowed to zoom out to the max, the scenario developer should limit it to LandscapeWidth() and LandscapeHeigth().
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-03-09 20:46

>Instead, why not let us set buildings to automatically do a certain job when they can, by say, shit-clicking it.

I think that is already possible. Maye via right-click? I am not 100% sure, though.
Parent - By Fluff [gb] Date 2013-03-09 23:16
Just checked. There doesn't seem to be.
Parent - - By Fluff [gb] Date 2013-03-18 19:32
Just remembered: running left and throwing an object to the right (or vice-versa) still makes you smack yourself in the face.
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-03-18 19:44
True; that's so annoying. And actually, it wouldn't be hard to fix at all :(
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2013-03-19 20:54
I thought that was intentional. Like: Okay, you can throw at the opponent going after you, but... in yo face!
- - By Fluff [gb] Date 2013-03-10 17:10
Played Crash Landing. I think lichen might be a bit too powerful. By the end of the game, I had 400 pieces of it. Powering buildings became a non-issue.
Multiple lichen plants can be planted in the same place, without needing water, and dry lichen can be planted as well as wet lichen. Are these glitches?

And, just for fun, before and after pics.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-03-10 17:24
I like the flags.

And, yeah, lichen might have not been tested enough (gameplay-wise) :)
Parent - By Fluff [gb] Date 2013-03-10 17:34
Ah, speaking of flags, it would be nice if, when placing a flag before starting construction, you could see a preview of its "area of effect", to prevent awkward 1-pixel gaps between flag zones that require building another flag to join. In this scenario, wasting wood is not a good thing. Lousy non-regrowing trees.

>And, yeah, lichen might have not been tested enough (gameplay-wise) :)

Perhaps more than one lichen should be required as fuel. 5 pieces perhaps? Maybe even 10. Given that one lichen can very easily become enough lichen that you're growing it faster than you can use it...

If you drop a carry-heavy object into water, you almost can't pick it up again. I got lucky this time; while I was filling the centre lake, the movement of the water pushed the barrel I'd accidentally thrown there to the side where I could get it back.
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Fluff's feeback: Number two point five