Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Mine Rescue
- - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-03-18 16:35
So, we played mine rescue yet and it proved to be quite a challenging scenario. Though admittedly, much of the challenge was due to the organization of who had which tool and people jumping into the abyss with the last axe in their hands and no wood left ;)

We almost made it, but had to script-cheat in the end due to an unfortunate bug :( - Frindus placed a construction site for a flag and then got eliminated. We finished the building, but the flag had no owner and didn't connect to our base. And all our tools and resources were lost to the pit by then.

I had already fixed that bug for finished flags, but it looks like it still exists for flags under construction.

Anyway, here's some suggestions:

1. We played with four people and I was the only one who had any tools. It sucks if you got two Clonks but can't do anything. I think there should be at least one tool for every player. If you want to limit the amount of starting tools, at least put them into some container (chest, lorry or hut) at the start, so everyone can just grab what he wants. In coop games, people are often AFK at game start and it sucks when the AFK guy is the one who happens to carry the only hammer.

2. The chests contents were always a bit of a disappointment. One of the harder-to-reach chests on the remote island could contain a grapple bow, so you have an alternative to building that weird-looking inventor's lab. There could also be 1-2 pieces of loam hidden in the chests (not enough to get over the gap, but at least enough so you can fix mistakes where you dug away too much).

3. You can build a metal barrel?

4. Since you cannot build additional energy producers for obvious reasons, it would be cool if the one wind generator always produced enough energy for all your buildings. In our game, we didn't even build an additional elevator. Still we were always low on power in our game. Maybe set the wind to maximum and/or put a second wind generator into the base or increase the amount of energy provided by the one generator.

5. It was a bit weird when we reached the mine and the Clonks just stood there. I think the storyline of the scenario could be improved: Originally, your goal is just to search and rescue the lost mine workers (once we have proper fog, those workers may actually be "hidden" in the mine :)). Once you reach them, they thank you but tell you they can't just walk out of the mine for some reason (Too lazy/Injured by an explosion/Pickaxe to the knee/etc.). So they ask you to fix the elevator and the goal changes to the current one. Finally, once the elevator is powered, the Clonks could even leave the mine for a little ending story :)
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2013-03-18 17:00
What sucked was that it is so hard to get to the other side of the cliff with the catapult. Usually you would build a catapult and just launch yourself to the right. But why do you have to move the catapult so very close to the edge to be able to reach the other side? When you are one pixel too far away, you die a cheap death. I don't know if that's a bug, but people outside the catapult can launch you further than when you launch yourself.
Parent - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2013-03-18 17:06

> I don't know if that's a bug, but people outside the catapult can launch you further than when you launch yourself.

I think this is intended. Note that you can even use your own second Clonk for that purpose.
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2013-03-18 17:04
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated! The scenario is not meant to be too challenging really, maybe on a slightly higher level than Crash Landing. Few comments on the specific points (most things should be simple to change and I should be able to get them done soon):

> 1. We played with four people and I was the only one who had any tools. It sucks if you got two Clonks but can't do anything. I think there should be at least one tool for every player. If you want to limit the amount of starting tools, at least put them into some container (chest, lorry or hut) at the start, so everyone can just grab what he wants. In coop games, people are often AFK at game start and it sucks when the AFK guy is the one who happens to carry the only hammer.

This is simply a bug... I intended every player to have shovel, axe and hammer. And then you can build a tools workshop if you want more.

> 2. The chests contents were always a bit of a disappointment. One of the harder-to-reach chests on the remote island could contain a grapple bow, so you have an alternative to building that weird-looking inventor's lab. There could also be 1-2 pieces of loam hidden in the chests (not enough to get over the gap, but at least enough so you can fix mistakes where you dug away too much).

Originally I had it such that there are 2 pieces of loam and the armory wasn't there from the beginning, and one had to use the loam to build the armory (requires 2x loam). Instead, one could simply build the loam into the sky and then use the grappler to get to the sky island, which I found a "lame" solution, which I wanted to prevent. One loam would probably be okay though, and then there could be another one on the other side of the abyss.

> 3. You can build a metal barrel?

Hm, you can? Must have slipped through...

> 4. Since you cannot build additional energy producers for obvious reasons, it would be cool if the one wind generator always produced enough energy for all your buildings. In our game, we didn't even build an additional elevator. Still we were always low on power in our game. Maybe set the wind to maximum and/or put a second wind generator into the base or increase the amount of energy provided by the one generator.

Good point. I think I'll add a second wind generator and change the wind to always high/max.

> 5. It was a bit weird when we reached the mine and the Clonks just stood there. I think the storyline of the scenario could be improved: Originally, your goal is just to search and rescue the lost mine workers (once we have proper fog, those workers may actually be "hidden" in the mine :)). Once you reach them, they thank you but tell you they can't just walk out of the mine for some reason (Too lazy/Injured by an explosion/Pickaxe to the knee/etc.). So they ask you to fix the elevator and the goal changes to the current one. Finally, once the elevator is powered, the Clonks could even leave the mine for a little ending story :)

To be honest the only reason there is no "Outro" yet is that I was lazy :). I like your suggestion for the storyline though.
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-03-18 18:57

> This is simply a bug... I intended every player to have shovel, axe and hammer. And then you can build a tools workshop if you want more.

Limited basic tools per team isn't a bad thing per se. I like the communicative aspect it adds to the game. It's just that if there's only one hammer, it should start out in a place everyone can reach and not in the hands of a random player :)

Just giving everyone all the tools is also OK of course. Limiting the tools is something that can be done in the more difficult scenarios then.
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Mine Rescue