Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Ideas for new power system
- - By J. J. [py] Date 2013-04-07 16:49
What about a giant Tesla Coil that sends bolts of electricity to buildings to power them instead of the flag pole?
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2013-04-09 12:22
Hm, random idea along these lines - how about making the flag attract lightning and as result add a fixed amount of electricity to the system? Or do we have that already? :)
Parent - - By ker [de] Date 2013-04-09 13:04
it could attract lightning, and therefor protect everything else around from lightning. Whenever hit by lightning, power is added for half a minute or so.
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2013-04-09 23:24
Sounds like a good idea. They could change the flag pole so that it has a metal tip with wires running down to a battery (or some other power supply).
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2013-04-12 19:54
I still haven't understood what the lightbulbs are trying to tell me. I would prefer a HUD that's telling me how much energy (in numbers) there is in my settlement and how much is consumed atm.
Parent - - By J. J. [py] Date 2013-04-13 19:34

>I still haven't understood what the lightbulbs are trying to tell me. I would prefer a HUD that's telling me how much energy (in numbers) there is in my settlement and how much is consumed atm.

I didn't understand the light bulbs ether.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-04-13 19:48
Mh, what do you two think that the lightbulbs show?
If it's not clear enough it obviously needs reworking.
Parent - - By J. J. [py] Date 2013-04-14 16:45 Edited 2013-04-14 17:14
Oh! I think I understand now the more green light bulbs on the more power you have the more yellow light bulbs on the more power is used, but is the yellow light equal in power consumption as the green light is to power production?  This is still confusing to me.

P.S. I like Pyrit's idea or we could have an energy bar that showed the total power production and consumption in the top right hand corner of the screen.
Parent - By ker [de] Date 2013-04-14 18:03
Command and Conquer style!
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2013-04-14 21:24 Edited 2013-04-14 21:32
Perhaps simplistic: A meter at each "flag pole"* just showing the total power consumption / total (available) power. If a producer drops out, the meter goes down, if a consumer is constructed, the meter goes down.

* We should change the terminology at that opportunity: The flag is primarily used for power distribution (no base melees yet), so it can be named like this also if the graphics are changed to resemble a power-junction with meter.

As the flag radius is only important when constructing, we should also drop these flying triangles marking the players area. Instead, the player should be warned if he attempts to build something out of the flag radius (and/or different color).

Left red, right green, middle area yellow. If the meter goes into the red area, it means there is power shortage somewhere.
On the extreme left: no producer at all
On the extreme right: producers = 3*consumers
at green/yellow: producers = 2*consumers
at yellow/red: producers = consumers
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-04-14 22:02

> Perhaps simplistic: A meter at each "flag pole"

A base usually consists of multiple flags. Show the meter at *every* pole then?

> As the flag radius is only important when constructing, we should also drop these flying triangles marking the players area.

Just warning the player is not enough because then placing something just at the corner of the power radius becomes a tedious procedure of trial and error.

Also, I like the triangles. But they could be visible whenever you are constructing a building only? Additionally, there should be a range preview when you are constructing a new flag so you know if it will overlap the previous base.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2013-04-14 22:33

>Show the meter at *every* pole then?

Yes. After all, the flag is also shown at each pole.
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2013-04-15 22:27
Yes! I like the idea. \o/
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2013-04-15 22:59 Edited 2013-04-15 23:08

> * We should change the terminology at that opportunity: The flag is primarily used for power distribution (no base melees yet), so it can be named like this also if the graphics are changed to resemble a power-junction with meter.

I was thinking the same - wouldn't it be all steampunkish if we had power crystals or tesla coils glowing in the player's color instead of flags? That could also resolve the question what flags are made of. I just feared that I would be accused of murdering another Clonk tradition :)

On the other hand, I'm not a fan of meters, to be honest - too explicit, almost as bad as showing numbers. Couldn't we just make it faintly send packets of energy towards energy consumers, with visible stuttering if it's not enough? The crystal/coil could also glow and/or move depending on whether there's too little or too much energy.
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Ideas for new power system