Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / falling ang getting hurt
- - By J. J. [us] Date 2013-08-15 23:41
Has anyone thought of making the clonks get hurt when they fall or was their superness on purpose?
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2013-08-15 23:47
why?
Parent - - By J. J. [us] Date 2013-08-15 23:49
It would just add more realism and more danger for the clonks.
Parent - - By Armin [de] Date 2013-08-15 23:57
A realistic sidescroller?! There can always be special maps where you must be in the light, eat or sleep but in generell these things would be damn annoying. I disliked the fall dmg in EKE and it ruined the harpune/grappler a bit.
Parent - By J. J. [us] Date 2013-08-16 00:00
I guess you do have a point there fun or realism fun rules when it comes to games. ;)
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2013-08-16 00:28
Yeah obviously, but that is not even a reason. We could also make clonks starve, get sick or die of old age. That'd quite realistic as well, but I can't think of a reason to include something like that in a game which is either mostly about running and jumping, or about digging and building.
"Why?" was supposed to motivate to spend more time on that idea. I might actually see some reason for this in settlement scenarios. Building elevators and ladders to safely climb down somewhere could fit in there, but that would make every interesting landscape even more of a obstacle. We already have means to do so by using acid or lava or pitting hostile animals there or whatnot. It's basically the same as with what I said about diving and breath - it's not some "prince of persia" game where moving itself is the whole game. Making moving more dangerous makes everything else - which requires moving - more tedious. Also, arena-melees would have to be redesigned, or you'd have those annoying "ring out"-deaths everywhere. And don't even think about making this an option >:(
Parent - By J. J. [us] Date 2013-08-16 02:24
I totally agree. Way too hard for to little benefit.
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2013-08-16 03:21
It might not be something suitable for every scenario, but I think many could profit from it. Maybe we could add a rule that controls this behaviour.
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2013-08-16 10:19
NoooOoo.. I can already see me checking the rules menu at the start of every new scenario. You'd need to know what rules affect the fundamentals of gameplay. Next up in that category would be rules like "walk underwater", "no burning", "unlimited breath", "no climbing", "undestroyable buildings"...
Just as a reminder of how annoying that can be: How many times did you jump to take off your base flag in Clonk Rage, just to notice that you can't collect it in this scenario for no obvious reason at all? How many times did you start by building an elevator, just to realise that you'd need a wind generator as well? How many scenarios just carelessly enforced building materials, while you had enough money and stock to just buy it all anyways?
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2013-08-16 19:11
There are a few scenarios in Clonk Rage that have fall damage. I think Eke has it and of course the Downhill races. It helps you design scenarios, because you can make certain passages impassable and require the player to do stuff like e.g. build a blimp without adding solid material.

If anything, I'd say either fall damage is added to all scenarios and we add an extra object like a helmet to allow catapult shots. Scenarios that can't go with fall damage would give the helmet permanently to all Clonks. Alternatively, rules could be displayed more prominently. E.g. besides the goals at the beginning of the scenario similar to how it's done with mods in osu!
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2013-08-16 22:05
True, rules could also be shown during the loading screen or even in the lobby(/game list?) as well. That'd be nice apart from fall damage, but I'd say it's mandatory if we really decide to include game-changing rules like that.

I still fear that cutting further into the nimbleness of the clonk might harm the overall control feeling, but if you insist, go ahead and implement it in a branch. Especially the threshold for taking damage and the damage factor will be really finnicky to figure out, else, you'd be taking fall damage left and right in dynamic maps where you don't "know" the safe drops.
Parent - By Sven2 [us] Date 2013-08-17 04:10
I think a good way to consider such features is to wait until a scenario comes up that profits from it and implement it as a rule in that scenario only. Then start a poll in the forums or talk with other people in IRC to see what they think about adding the feature to the main game (as a rule or by default).

If you just make changes out of the blue then usually many people are intuitively against it because it "change is bad", etc.
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2013-08-16 22:07
How would that helmet work, inventory-wise? Do you plan to implement a full equipment system?
Parent - By Sven2 [us] Date 2013-08-17 04:03
I suppose it would be attached to the mesh just like e.g. inventory objects are.
Parent - By ala [nl] Date 2013-08-24 10:31

>I can already see me checking the rules menu at the start of every new scenario. You'd need to know what rules affect the fundamentals of gameplay.

Just as note, has nothing to do with the topic and is no argument for or against something.
How about making rules clear without the need to check them? They could be displayed while loading (best!) OR: In the lobby. OR at the begin of the scenario in some corner.

[Edit]
Gnah, should have read a few more postings.., anyway I support showing rules more clearly!
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / falling ang getting hurt