Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Butterfly Tea Music
- - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-11-03 04:09 Edited 2010-11-04 07:30
I found some music on the internet (by artist "Butterfly Tea", licensed CC-BY-NC-SA. Strange name, but it's good music) that I think could be fitting for OC. Music that works is better than no music, no?

Anyways, here they are.

other notes...
Beginning of the Adventure: For tuts or somesuch. Not just because of the title, the music fits well imo.
Also, there is another version of the 'Rise of Legend' (slightly different) that sounds really good in the frontend.

(Currently trying to upload a Music.c4g instead of all these separate files. Upload isn't working for me atm >.> )
(In light of this, all these songs can be found at jamendo(dot)com, or you can simply click the links below.)

BUTTERFLY TEA - Best of 2009 (album)
04 - New Rise of Legend v2
08 - Beginning of the Adventure
09 - Cavern of Time V2
13 - Ontaria Prologue
14 - The City of Heaven 2009
47 - Rise of Legend V2
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2010-11-03 18:29

> CC-BY-NC-SA

Unfortunately, NC is not open source, so we can't use that.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-11-04 07:14 Edited 2010-11-04 11:48

> we can't use that.

Just when I started liking it... :-(

EDIT: If I understand correctly, NC refers to Non-Commercial usage. As long as we are not going to earn money with it, it can be used.
(http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/fr/deed.en)
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-11-04 07:27 Edited 2010-11-04 07:31
I have sent an email to Butterfly Tea, making a request if he would be willing to re-license a few songs of his (the same one listed in the first post) so we may use them in OpenClonk.

Worst case scenario, we can supply the Music.c4g as a separate download.
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-11-04 11:31
I think it is a good approach: instead of writing our own (generaly mediocre) compositions we would rather invite some professional (or "semi-professional") composers to do the job.
Well, of course if they are willing to cooperate :-)
Parent - By Günther [de] Date 2010-11-04 14:16
Well, every other contributor makes their contributions available as open source, I see no reason to make an exception for Music. The most common problems with NC clauses are that they prevent distribution on collections like Linux Distributions or magazine CDs, advertisement on our website, probably other forms of cost recovery like donations, and hosting of the downloads on sites like sourceforge or google code.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-11-04 14:07
(Listened to New Rise of Legend and Beginning of the Adventure.)
I don't think it fits for clonk. It sounds too... "epic" (and the file names reflect that). IMO this music would fit very well to stuff like World of Warcraft (where you play a powerful hero) or some Fantasy-based RTS where you do epic and heroic battles.
Parent - By Günther [de] Date 2010-11-04 14:18
It's nice music, though. And with the Sword and Bow, Clonks do "epic and heroic" battles...
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-11-04 17:58
Heh, I thought the exact same thing the first time I heard it. But I began liking it more and more when having it playing as background/frontend music (around 60% volume, mind).
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-11-04 14:17 Edited 2010-11-04 15:10
Oh, by the way, since you already link to jamendo.com: On jamendo, there is many more free/cc music. I got some more addresses for music with free licenses:

archive.org
free art search taken from various open source projects
opengameart similar to above but I think also with own community
freesound as always

Update: searched through opengameart, except for some very good soundtracks for a gloomy and dark atmosphere by Brandon Morris, I found nothing.

Update2: On jamendo, there is much more of this type of orchestral soundtrack music if you search for the tag "orchestral": http://www.jamendo.com/en/tag/orchestral
- By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-11-04 21:29
As you may know, I have sent a letter to Butterfly Tea asking if he would be willing to re-license those songs listed above.

(His response is written in French, so I will just give you the gist of it)

*He cannot change the licenses due to this being his business of selling licenses of these songs for use in commercial films or games; especially the songs I've listed, they are popular sells.
*If we want, we can purchase a license for 30€ covering all his tracks on jamendo. Otherwise, it's possible to purchase single tracks for 20€ (this way, there is no middle-man that takes half of the money).
*On the other hand, if we are willing (and have a budget to cover it) he is willing to compose new tracks for OpenClonk (since he is a professional composer).
*He also wishes us all good luck on future development.
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Butterfly Tea Music