Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / First thoughts about a magic system
1 2 Previous Next
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-12-19 14:24

>That's a nice, easy to control, challenging feature which could deepen knight combat.

It could either deepen it or make it a lot slower - you have to be very careful with such things ;)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-12-19 14:42

> Newton's dreaded Whopper format

What's that?
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2010-12-19 14:50
Cite / Comment / Cite / Comment / Cite / Comment ...

Okay, it ended up a lot shorter than I thought at first :)
- - By Matthias [de] Date 2010-12-19 19:47
Not quite sure where to put my thoughts inside this topic, so I'll go ahead and put this in the topic itself:

I'm against introducing magic in form of spells at all. I've got mainly two reasons for this:

First, I think we can do something more interesting and better then that. Every second game out there has magic spells, CR did as well - But we've got the chance to introduce the gameplay options that the spells had in some other way, maybe we can find something much more fitting to our general style right now.
OC started off with the "steampunk" idea in mind - crooked apparatuses, doubtable science, that kind of stuff - and I think we can go into that direction with magic effects as well. (In fact, magic is quite the opposite of crooked science!)

Secondly, looking back at CR, I think the most spells that were included in the fantasy pack in the end were over-designed. The icecrow and firesnakes, fireball, curses and heal spells - those and lots of other similar ones couldn't be used for anything else than dealing damage or preventing damage because of how specific they were. I always thought casting those spells was less fun than making up a cool strategy which included some spells to support it (e.g. the gravity spells).

I suggest to think of some effects that are useful in many ways and find an fitting way of implementing it. We did this with the airblast, which resulted in the windjar, didn't we? Just like that we could make tools, buildings, (maybe even vehicles and animals? ;)) that provide the same effect and just add some more detail. It's just boring to have 15 scrolls or spells or whatever, which look the same and are used all the same.

Just to give a few brainstormy examples, based upon the spells which are currently scrolls:
- Hardening (turns snow to ice) - Pour a bucket of water on the snow. You could also extinguish fires with that, or transport water.
- Wind spell - Would be cool if you could power windmills so they create wind instead of power.. maybe a small, deployable version of that? ;)
- Thunder spell? Chargeable lightning attractor - it also protects buildings! ;)
- Fireball - Why not make a torch? Clonks could breathe a fireball (or a bit of continous fire when clicked&held) once while holding them. They'd also illuminate your settlements at night!
- Teleport - Mini-LHC which creates black holes, of course!

So even if some of those items end up being single-purpose as well, we'd still have some advantages: First of, it's better recognizable. It's not just an icon on the same scroll I'm seeing all over the place. It also has a cool name! Secondly, items can be designed much more individually. They don't have to work all the same - with scrolls and spells, it's almost always 'cast -> (aim) -> success'. Having the "spells" more thought out and each in its own item could add a lot of detail and charme to the game.

This would also provide us with two things that can be used to balance things in scenarios:
First off, the player wouldn't have access to all "spells" all the time, because his inventory is limited. He'd have to choose according to his strategy before entering the battlefield. (This is not different from scrolls as it is right now, but since there is the discussion of a general magic system, I just wanted to bring that up again.)
Second, spells that are too "powerful" to be casted any time and any place could be turned into buildings or vehicles, so you'd have to invest some time researching or building these to gain an advantage through them.

I know that many of you have gotten used to magic in clonk, but I really think this would be worth a shot.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2010-12-19 20:30
I actually like this proposal a lot, and would have very little to add to it now. And I also didn't like magic in CR most of the times, sometimes it was convenient to heal oneself in the original settlement rounds, but we can have bread for that. Though I recognize the popularity of magic rounds in CR as Zapper mentioned, therefore I suggest to separate the CR like magic from the content we will create and make a separate object pack out of that. And indeed go for an alternative solution for the object pack we are going to create, more or less as you proposed it here.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-12-19 20:36
I have nothing against replacing the magic in the settlement scenarios like you mentioned.

Still, I would like to port the CR Battlefield experience (even if we do that in another package and not Objects.c4d). I mentioned earlier why we would do that instead of leaving it to independent developers (aka community created package).
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-12-20 00:39
While I certainly agree with what you say about not over-designing spells, and that many spells could be tools, I think it's a bit rash to say "Let's throw out magic!".

Why? Some useful effects don't make any sense outside of a magical context. For example, telekinesis. I'm sure you can come up with a way this could be a tool, but it certainly doesn't fit with the rest of the 'gritty, physical' tools. As for a torch, that sounds like a cool idea. Letting the clonk breath fire with that sounds a little... weird. Has he a mouthful of alcohol? A lightning effect certainly could be designed as a believable steampunky tesla-coil tool.

I think the prime notion of 'this should be magic' is your teleport example. Sure, we could make a device which creates some portal. However, this is really just a magical spell constrained to a tool. The 'hammered together' concept is so wrong here it's not worth arguing over.

So, in short, my reasons why we should keep magic:
1. Allows gameplay mechanics that otherwise don't make any sense with the rest of the game
2. Provides a 'swiss-army knife' tool allowing aforementioned gameplay mechanics without creating tonnes of weird and contrived objects to clutter up the player's inventory.
3. We'll make John Hagee angry if we have magic. And that's hilarious.
4. Players like magic. It's fun, and it doesn't take resources to use (so help me I'll do something terrible to the first person to suggest spell-reagents).
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-12-20 12:44
Telekinesis is a portable object, no spell. At least not more a spell than the windjar.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-12-20 19:26
The problem with Telekinesis is that it basically is a magic wand with only one spell; complete with recharging mana. If you can think of a way to balance telekinesis without using mana, then I'd support keeping it as a tool.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-12-21 14:34
Where is the problem with that? It's no spell. I believe that was what Matthias was talking about. "How" a particular object works, is all the same for the gameplay and max. only part of the description. The orb of telekinesis could as well be some power glove ;-) or some weird magnetic/electrostatic glove (you know the series 90ies series Spellbinder?). I doesn't change the gameplay at all. If the telekinesis were a spell, it would.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-12-21 20:43

>The orb of telekinesis could as well be some power glove ;-) or some weird magnetic/electrostatic glove (you know the series 90ies series Spellbinder?)

Strange, while walking home from Uni yesterday I was thinking the exact same thing. Though I have no clue what Spellbinder is. ^^

In fact, I was even theorizing in my mind how a lightning effect could be scripted to curve towards the target...
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-12-21 21:08
Yes, we should call it "zero-point energy field manipulator"! Or "Gravitron" for short!
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-12-21 21:17
That's not a glove! Also, I was actually thinking along the lines of the lightning effects from 'Fullmetal Alchemist' (noisy movement, shooting randomly about before reaching target) more than the direct lines of orangey light as per Half-Life.
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-12-21 14:58
Additional thought: an ammunition that can be restored over time (you know, like tutorial arrows and spears do... kidding).
This kind of ammunition can perfectly fit to the orb concept: after you used the tool for some time, it needs (even more) time to recharge itself
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-12-21 15:20
Well, I think that mana is not that bad idea in this case.
Just increase usage with distance, where object right next to clonk uses no mana, so it replenishes, object slightly farther uses some(so the mana meter is still), while object far ago drains it almost instantly.
This would allow both long-time carrying of objects and throwing them.
Also, perhaps it could somehow affect the clonk using it.
Like lifting a building up would push the clonk downwards, eventually dealing damage.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-12-21 20:46

>Like lifting a building up would push the clonk downwards, eventually dealing damage.

You know those old arcade games where the player character got hurt from using his special attack? I absolutely hated those games.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-12-20 14:29
What happened to the 'Orb of Telekinesis' (the one with cute white wings) ?
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-12-20 19:24
I originally scripted it back when I was a newbie (It's still in Tools.c4d afaik). To be a viable item, it needs nicer graphics and should be totally rescripted (I'd be willing to do that when I have the time).

In it's current state, it has an ugly recharge effect (both visually and script-wise) and you need to move objects painfully slowly otherwise you drop them.
Parent - By Fluff [gb] Date 2010-12-23 23:31

>4. (so help me I'll do something terrible to the first person to suggest spell-reagents).

Eheh. Gulp. For quick melees, I can see why not. But for longer settlement rounds that include magic (Let me dream!), having them only need mana is a bit of a "get out of effort free card". Using magic to give a new dimension the general industry of settling could have potential instead. ("Hm. Shall I use this wood to make an elevator, or {Writer's block. I can't think of anything. T.T}?")

And yes, I'm aware that bring up settlement is a bit of a leap from OC's current scenarios, but meh.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-12-20 12:42
I approve of this.
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-12-20 14:25
Like to see I'm not the only person willing to get rid of 'spellbooks', 'wands' and (especially) 'mana' stuff... :-)

Great idea (with more consideration put into it, it can actually evolve into a nice 'spellcasting' concept).
- By Fluff [gb] Date 2010-12-23 23:10 Edited 2010-12-23 23:21
Just a few little things, it's hard to to tell what the general thoughts in this thread are (lots of words, so little time to read them.)

In regards to the discussion for spell selection... What about letting players use the whole keyboard to set spell hotkeys? Is that doable? No, it won't work for multiple people at one computer, but for league games (assuming OC will have a league) is hotseating even allowed or fair?

And also, I've a bit about combat spells and balance and such. What about settlement spells?

Just to clarify, I'm not saying the hotkeys would be the only way to spell cast, they'd just be available as an upgrade the original quick-spell system.

Also, if we don't want imbalances between experts who can fire away a key-combination in a blink, and beginners/casuals who actually need to check what they're doing, then why not let the key combinations be customizable?
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / First thoughts about a magic system
1 2 Previous Next