Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Health Bar
1 2 Previous Next
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-03-26 23:19
Perfect!
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2011-03-27 12:21 Edited 2011-03-27 12:23
I'd suggest not using a relief both for having a backpack background and separating the backpack slots. Even if it's already a great improvement over the old design, I still feel it's a bit hard for the eye to parse.
Parent - - By MimmoO Date 2011-03-27 16:42
black circles begone again
Parent - - By B_E [de] Date 2011-03-27 17:17
Besides the point: Imho the current gui as in red writing and red cursor does not really fit into the hud any more.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2011-03-27 17:49
There's actually white, yellow as well as red text in that picture :)
Parent - By MimmoO Date 2011-03-27 18:03
i dont see yellow text/cursor. if you mean the metal-yellow, thats what he meant - it does not fit the red
Parent - By Newton [cr] Date 2011-03-27 22:58
IMO there is a little bit too much fuss in the backpack slot, too much decoration. I like the new ringmenu design though.
Parent - - By MimmoO Date 2011-04-05 16:12
Status update - i adjusted the colors, remade the material for the tubes and adjusted the AA a bit. i pretty fitting, but it *could* also be more shiny.
what do you think?
(both pictures have the same material)
Parent - By Matthias [de] Date 2011-04-05 16:43
groar manabar
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2011-04-05 17:22
Could you put the mana bar behind the health bar easily?

Anyawy. groar manabar!
Parent - By MimmoO Date 2011-04-05 19:06
yes you can - but then you cant read the numeric mana value, and there would only be a very small stripe of mana.
- - By MimmoO Date 2011-04-12 15:06 Edited 2011-04-12 15:09
Added ActionSlot-thingsies. its a horizontal bar that slides out of the BackDeco-thing, once needed. it needs about 5 frames to slide to the needed length, giving it a cool effect. if not needed, the first slot is slightly visible on the edge.

also, shadows!!1
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2011-04-13 11:09
Love the concept

+1
Parent - - By Newton [gt] Date 2011-04-21 22:05
These are definitely good changes. The hotkey number display should be another color or even style though. Possibly the same style as the L and R. IMO we should avoid Comic Sans MS. There are tons of (free) fonts which fit to the new HUD style. Also, I am not quite content with the backpack display being a completely solid bronce plate with that flower-thing in the middle. I dont really like the insets for the items in the inventory slots either. A little bit too smooth.

By the way, the clonk on the screenshot holds the bow in the slot labeled as "L" in his right hand. This might be a bit misleading.
Parent - - By MimmoO Date 2011-04-21 22:44

>The hotkey number display should be another color or even style though. Possibly the same style as the L and R.

i tried to make it looks like it, but fiddling around with SetClrModulation() did not give the wished effect. i guess i will render the numbers in the same way the LR is.

>IMO we should avoid Comic Sans MS. There are tons of (free) fonts which fit to the new HUD style.

sure, if you find a good one. i actually find this one pretty fitting, but im ok with any other cool looking font.

>Also, I am not quite content with the backpack display being a completely solid bronce plate with that flower-thing in the middle. I dont really like the insets for the items in the inventory slots either.

wait, what? werent you the one who suggested that earlier...? (i could be wrong too)
actually, i like the inset-style pretty much. still i agree with you on the backpack thing - do you have any ideas in mind?

>By the way, the clonk on the screenshot holds the bow in the slot labeled as "L" in his right hand. This might be a bit misleading.

seems this is a conceptual mistake: Left mouse button items were placed in the right hand and vice versa. i think this should not be changed in the HUD, but in the clonk-script (shouldnt be too hard to do)
Parent - By Günther [de] Date 2011-04-22 12:38

> sure, if you find a good one.

What's wrong with Endeavour? If you want to replace it, we should do that all at once, not piecemeal.
Parent - - By Newton [gt] Date 2011-04-23 17:38

> actually, i like the inset-style pretty much. still i agree with you on the backpack thing - do you have any ideas in mind?

Not really. You could create some quick mockups to see if this or that looks better.
Parent - By MimmoO Date 2011-04-25 14:03
these are the only things i could think of. i personally like the first one more. still, i prefer the original.
- - By MimmoO Date 2011-04-27 16:32 Edited 2011-04-27 16:52
Status Update: the new HUD now features Markers. These are small signs on the left side of the screen, informing the player about various events. They can be added by

AddHUDMarker(int payer, picture, int duration, int urgent, object inform).

- player is obviously the number of the player you want to inform.
- picture can either be an ID or an object: in the first case, the general graphics for that object type will be displayed, the last case the graphics of the object as it currently is ingame will be displaed (helpful for displaying clonks in those markers).
- duration can be used to auto-remove the marker after a certain time. use 0 for infinite markers.
- if the urgent-flag is set, the marker will smoothly fade into red and then normal again, with a frequency of 1Hz.
- at last, if you pass an object to inform, whenever the marker is clicked, this object receives a "MarkerSelected(object marker)"-call ( or a "MarkerAltSelected(object marker)"-call, if you right click), giving the marker itself as parameter. same applies for the destruction of the marker (MarkerRemoved(object marker)).

markers can be used for almost everything: Building completed,Clonk drowning! (urgent) or You have struck adamantine! Praise the miners!.

if you have any good ideas what can be improved, let me know.

edit: on the picture, you can see (from top to bottom)
- Empty marker
- The chest you can see next to the Clonk, in the opening-action (urgent)
- A general lorry
- Dynamite, also general
- The Clonk, as he is seen ingame
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-04-27 16:37
Nice! Can you already add markers to specific crew members?
For example if you really wanted some sort of status markers (frozen, wet, ...)
Parent - By MimmoO Date 2011-04-27 16:39
not yet, but i think that could be added easily. though, those markers should be at a different position, or fading out if the clonk is not selected.
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2011-04-27 16:40 Edited 2011-04-27 16:44
Or "Horrors! Demons in the Deep!". Yeah, I can see it.
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2011-04-27 17:16
While I think I like the idea, I don't really get how those markers in your demo screenshot are events - Or is this just some dummy-setup for showcasing the graphical component of your system?
Parent - By MimmoO Date 2011-04-27 17:19

>Or is this just some dummy-setup for showcasing the graphical component of your system?

yes.
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2011-04-27 17:27
I think the "default" markers we add ourselves would need simpler icons, though. It should be easy to make out what's going on with a quick glance. Maybe even further simplify the plate they're on?

Also: Sound on incoming marker?
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-04-27 17:32

>Also: Sound on incoming marker?

Parent - - By MimmoO Date 2011-04-27 17:39

>I think the "default" markers we add ourselves would need simpler icons, though.
>Maybe even further simplify the plate they're on?

i think the plates are pretty simple, i dont see how i could make that plate even simplier.
who is "ourselves"? the markers never set by the player, if you mean that.

>It should be easy to make out what's going on with a quick glance.

i think that is currently the case.

>Also: Sound on incoming marker?

hmm. I dont see why not, but i could get annoying if there are added a lot markers.
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2011-04-27 17:53

> i think the plates are pretty simple, i dont see how i could make that plate even simplier.

by removing the border, maybe even flatten the texture. it's just a suggestion though, might work out with simpler icons alone as well.

> who is "ourselves"? the markers never set by the player, if you mean that.

"ourselves" as in "we who provide the original content". Obivously we can't force our design decisions onto the community developers who add their own custom markers.

> i think that is currently the case.

Looking at the dark, blocky images of lorry and chest, I really couldn't distinguish them right away. We'd definitely want some simple, remarkable shapes with good contrast against the background.

> hmm. I dont see why not, but i could get annoying if there are added a lot markers.

Optional, maybe.
Parent - - By MimmoO Date 2011-04-27 18:16

>by removing the border, maybe even flatten the texture. it's just a suggestion though, might work out with simpler icons alone as well.

i think with "Icon" you mean the one that is displayed on the brass plate. of course you can set any icon you want.

>"ourselves" as in "we who provide the original content". Obivously we can't force our design decisions onto the community developers who add their own custom markers.

i think you misunderstood how the markers work. the icon (in the picture: the chest, lorry, dynamit or clonk) can be set via script. thus, everyone can make their own markers.

>Looking at the dark, blocky images of lorry and chest, I really couldn't distinguish them right away. We'd definitely want some simple, remarkable shapes with good contrast against the background.

as said, the icon can be manually set by everyone via script. so you can make a good distinguishable icon you want for every event you want to cover.
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2011-04-27 19:42

>  i think you misunderstood how the markers work

Nono, I got that part right, and you pretty much summed up what I was trying to say:

> [the icon can be set] via script. so you can make a good distinguishable icon you want for every event you want to cover.

That's my point - that's something we need to do. Lorries, buildings, items and all other ingame objects are not distinguishable icons at all, so we shouldn't reuse them there. I also know that you didn't say we should, I just wanted to point that out! ;)
Parent - By MimmoO Date 2011-04-28 15:48

>That's my point - that's something we need to do. Lorries, buildings, items and all other ingame objects are not distinguishable icons at all, so we shouldn't reuse them there. I also know that you didn't say we should, I just wanted to point that out! ;)

sure, just go ahead :)
Parent - - By Newton [us] Date 2011-04-27 18:03
What would be the use case for this?
Parent - - By MimmoO Date 2011-04-27 18:18
if you mean the picture i posted, i already said its just a demo showing the graphics.
Parent - - By Newton [gt] Date 2011-04-28 15:08
No, I mean what you had in mind when you implemented this. What kind of information will be shown there? Anything else than tutorial help and events regarding the goal of the game?
Parent - By MimmoO Date 2011-04-28 15:25
the initial idea was to inform the player about different stuff: events about clonks, buildings, production, research and defense.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-04-28 17:01 Edited 2011-04-28 17:08
Only one third of my first sentence here was irony.

The idea behind the markers was to inform the player of certain stuff that would usually be shown in local message in CR (research complete would be one example).
Additionally it is the place where you can inform the player of stuff that he could not see because he is digging away like a mole somewhere - for example that your base is being attacked or that one unselected Clonk is taking damage (for example because he was hit by a meteor and now is on fire!)

PS: The additional value from those markers (goals could notify their fulfillment status when you reach a certain milestone for example) is also not to be underestimated in my opinion
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-04-27 18:50
Being informed when a Clonk is attacked, a building is damaged, someone posted on your facebook wall - and all that while you are doing something completely different!

From that clear application now to something a little bit less cool:
Help messages for new players!
I am not talking about help messages that show the description of stuff you build.
I am talking about help messages for special events that are not clear to the player and might frustrate when you first encounter it and fail.
Let's say we have evil monsters that lure in (clearly visible) mounds in the ground. A new player might jump onto the mound and die to something frightening. The message (when you get close to the mound) could just be something like "Be careful around those mounds" as I still want the players to discover 99% of the game themselves.

Same for a player who discovers a bow for the first time: A friendly "You need arrows for the bow!" could probably replace any tutorial.
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2011-04-27 18:54
learning by dying actually is the japanese game way. Ever played castlevania?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-04-27 18:57
Nope
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2011-04-27 22:54
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-04-29 03:49 Edited 2011-04-29 03:52
"Oh look; I died again. Ho hum.

Hey, a game over there that isn't frustrating and depressing! Let's play that instead!"
Parent - - By Isilkor Date 2011-04-29 12:04
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2011-04-29 12:44
Which is obviously a very different beast, as "dying" here just sets you back a few seconds. You can't compare that to a Clonk dying that you spent a few hours even getting to the place in question. Which some scenarios might do - even though I personally also would like just one Clonk with fast (maybe even instant) respawn, as that's what I've grown to like with Soldat.
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Health Bar
1 2 Previous Next