Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Game graphics style (textures)
- - By Saiodin [de] Date 2012-08-16 20:38
Hello everybody.

When I tried to get Clonkonaut back for my old medieval strategy project, he pulled me into OC. I just realize this. Damn.
Anyways. I saw all the graphics and especially the textures (the stlye) seem to be mixed up a bit. I don't know how the textures for the older Clonk games were made, but I always imagined it to be a more cartoonic style - in my head. Everything pretty colorful, hard contrasts. The textures of OC right now (the most) seem to be pretty less in contrast, very gritty. Not saying this is bad, but it reminds me a lot of really old games were they tried to wedge that kind of realism into the game. What I actually wanna do is showing you some assets and a game which have a graphic style that, I think, would perfectly fit into OC. Not the same of course, but in it's own way. I also don't say it's easy or fast, but I heard OC needs a lot of graphics & models anyways. So why not try to maintain one fitting style. Of course possible that you guys think totally different.

First asset I want you to have a look on (and I'm talking about the texture style, not the models):
http://3docean.net/item/human-rts-building-set-low-poly/2426636?WT.ac=portfolio_item&WT.seg_1=portfolio_item&WT.z_author=BitGorilla

And a game I recently bought:

In my opinion the kind of the textures (especially look at wood, stone, metal) would fit perfectly into OC. It's that lovely feeling that the textures give me, that I always have with Clonk.

Yeah, well. I checked out the game folder and the DDS files of the game are lying open in it. Not that I would want to use them (god no), but at least you can check out how they're made, heh? It seems that everything is handpainted and reused. They're following one style and doing that through the whole game (not that I expected something else). That's what we could do as well with OC. And I think it's not even that hard. I tried it with the OC chest and the result is kinda acceptable. First attempt ofc, I'm no expert in texturing, actually I'm never doing it. But I have some knowledge in graphics & stuff (maybe some of you remember my CR projects like MP) and I'm pretty sure we can do the same. I'll try it at least. I kinda like that more than grabbing free-to-use textures and putting them together, everybody uses different textures (what I also did with the chest to see the difference. Don't want to show something here I'm not satisfied with though and give you a wrong impression).

So, what are you guys thinking? Btw, I shoot everybody writing tl;dr. But if you're at this point everything should be alright, otherwise you get a bullet between you're eyes :P
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-08-16 21:29
I like the style :) Would love to see what you did with the chest.

Btw, completely unrelated but since you're here: Upscaling the textures ist no problem. Keep the ratio and use power 2 values (256,512,1024, ...)
Parent - By Saiodin [de] Date 2012-08-16 23:16
Great : )
Yeah, I already tried that and made it 1024*1024. But I think 512*512 is enough.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2012-08-16 22:00
Well, hell yes @ pulling through one style!

The first one looks a little bit pale compared to second one, it could be a bit more colorful in OC I feel, like the second one.

The main problem with these kinds of things is actually continuing this effort, I have the feeling lots of people give up after having done a few models due to various reasons.
So I would love to see you take up this challenge if you are motivated, and rather not leave us with a half finished texture pack.

Sorry for being so realistic/pessimistic ;( but better than tl;dr I guess.

In any case: Show the chest and try some other buildings please :)
Parent - - By Saiodin [de] Date 2012-08-17 10:57
I never said that I want/can do this on my own ;) Actually I have not too much time. Though I see that it would be hard to do this with a couple of people. But let's see what I can come up with.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-08-17 12:33
Still, it's worth a shot. Even if not everything comes from one person, we might get along since handpainted textures have the potential to be more easily copied by another person than the bunch of random free textures you mentioned.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2012-08-17 13:09
Yes, well we are of course not asking for any type of commitment, any help (especially in the graphics department) is highly appreciated and it seems that you are more than capable to do that.
And as Clonkonaut said, other people can also do some tasks, but that would imply a little organization.

The only problem may be that only a part of the models have cartoonish textures and the other half realistic, which in my opinion would be a worse state than the graphics are in now.
Parent - By Saiodin [de] Date 2012-08-17 14:06

> The only problem may be that only a part of the models have cartoonish textures and the other half realistic, which in my opinion would be a worse state than the graphics are in now.

Yeah, that's why it would have to be for everything... though I think the Clonk himself looks fitting. More into that cartoonic style then the realistic textures.
Parent - - By Saiodin [de] Date 2012-08-17 19:24
Is there any way to get the mesh of the chest? Because the UV map is wrong. The frontside and the backside are stretched.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-08-17 19:38
all the source data with all meshes in blender format and textures in gimp format is here:
http://hg.openclonk.org/openclonk-resources/file/tip/
You can check it out similarly as the normal repository or get the single files through the web interface
Parent - By Saiodin [de] Date 2012-08-18 04:25
Thanks!
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2012-08-18 00:47
Second. I love how the game from the screenshots looks. And OC needs to be clonkier with the textures!^^
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Game graphics style (textures)