Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Model] Loom
- - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-09-26 15:01
I created a model for the loom to work with.
No more excuses like "we can't do anything without models! :((" !

The texture is still pretty bad, so if anyone has fun filling in UV maps.. :)
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2012-09-27 19:26
I would like to make a texture. Is there any program that can load the mesh file including the UV map and give a preview it in realtime 3d? So you can paint the texture in GIMP and quicksave it and hit refresh in the 3D program and have the model updated instantly? So that you know how it will look like.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-09-27 21:03 Edited 2012-09-27 21:06
Yes, there is! You can use OgreMeshy for that.

You can find the .mesh and the current texture in the repository (do you know how to get there?)
PS, if you don't have access to the repository, I'll link the files here:
http://hg.openclonk.org/openclonk/raw-file/5d06203164fb/planet/Objects.ocd/Structures.ocd/Loom.ocd/Graphics.mesh
http://hg.openclonk.org/openclonk/raw-file/5d06203164fb/planet/Objects.ocd/Structures.ocd/Loom.ocd/Loom.png
http://hg.openclonk.org/openclonk/raw-file/5d06203164fb/planet/Objects.ocd/Structures.ocd/Loom.ocd/Loom.skeleton
http://hg.openclonk.org/openclonk/raw-file/5d06203164fb/planet/Objects.ocd/Structures.ocd/Loom.ocd/Scene.material

I'll attach the original UV layout here:
I hereby license the file Loom2_Plane.svg under the CC-BY license
Attachment: Loom2_Plane.svg - UV map layout for loom (81k)
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2012-10-01 20:35 Edited 2012-10-01 21:04
Ah, yeah, I already had that program, but I have a problem with it. I can't rotate the models freely. It seems like I can only rotate them around 2 axes. Or at least not in a way i'd like to rotate them. I tried for minutes and just couldn't position the camera right. It looks like this atm. click
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-10-01 20:57
Oh, yeah.
That is because Clonk uses a different axis as the "up-axis" than Ogre. I'll see whether I can find a workaround for that (without exporting the mesh again)
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-10-01 22:33
I did not find a solution.

I guess I will just export you an extra version with a fixed axis once the new model is done
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2012-10-02 14:51
I tried another program "show mesh", but I can't load the graphics.mesh. It crashes with a weird error: Cannot find serializer implementation for current version (MeshSerializer_1.40).
Does anyone know another program that lets you rotata the models freely?
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2012-10-02 15:06
OgreMeshy is the best there is.

You could use the .blend file in Blender of course (blend files are in the resource repository).
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-10-02 20:12
Oh, right, stupid of me.

You could use blender with the original .blend file of course.
That way you cannot load the .mesh-file, but that should not matter too much.

I used blender 2.49 to create this file. In that version you can hit Shift+P to get a preview-window.
I'll attach the loom-file here in case you want to try it out
Attachment: Loom2.blend - provisorical loom model (blender file) (289k)
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-09-28 14:28
If Newton is creating sketches for an improved version now, you should probably wait a bit with texturing, since the UV map might change :)
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2012-09-28 20:26
Ok.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2012-09-28 00:03
Just in case:
I started scripting this.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-09-28 13:09
Do you consider this as a placeholder or are you up to refining this model based on feedback and sketches posted here? I would take on the task to create some sketches for some "final" version of it if you are willing to further work on it.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-09-28 13:56
I am not really happy with that model - it looks neither wacky (straight beams etc) nor like it could actually work ("where does the wool come from?") - I guess it's just not massive enough for the latter

If you can come up with good ideas how to fix it with that model, I would modify it of course (note: UV unwrapping gear wheels is a nightmare). But it could be that creating a new model would actually be the easier task here.

So if you are in the mood for some sketches, don't feel limited by this model
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-09-29 20:49
Just had a look at how spinning wheels and looms work. I guess our automaton must be a combination of these two steps. This is a great oppurtunity to show of some cool machinery that wouldn't work in real life ;-)

Already started sketching...
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-09-29 22:24
This here btw was a bit the "verification" for my model which made me believe I'm at least not too far from reality: http://nevillepublicmuseum.org/sites/default/files/color-loom.gif
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Model] Loom