Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Lobby buttons
- - By IchUndNichtDu [de] Date 2012-11-11 00:51
I think it would be good to have in the Lobby buttons like "afk" or "ready" to show other players thinks like this. It would be good to if the host can see who are ready with loading files.
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2012-11-11 11:50
That feature request is probably as old as CR. Learn C++ and do it.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2012-11-11 13:35
It's actually not that hard to do. If someone wants pointers on how to get the required info from the network, just ask me.
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2012-11-11 14:08
Afair the info on who has loaded how much of the network data is already present at the host, isn't it?
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2012-11-11 14:13
Well, no - but he gets the packets. Right now the information is discarded if the client isn't loading the resource in question.
Parent - - By ala [nl] Date 2012-11-11 21:05

>That feature request is probably as old as CR. Learn C++ and do it.

Please learn to farm if you want to eat...

I find that comment is very offending, please respect other ways of living than "just" learning and programing.
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2012-11-11 21:09 Edited 2012-11-11 21:22

> please respect other ways of living than "just" learn and program something.

You mean, learn and compose some music?

[Edit] That client state was one of my reasons to look into engine development. And by saying that it was a feature request since CR, I also kind of acknowledged it. You didn't notice anything of that, did you?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-11-11 23:55

>You didn't notice anything of that, did you?

Me neither
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2012-11-12 00:03
:(
Parent - - By ala [nl] Date 2012-11-12 11:15 Edited 2012-11-12 11:20

> You didn't notice anything of that, did you?

No, it is a kind of attitude. Even a plain bug report, or a very reasonable feature wish deserve respect. If you don't do it, that's fine (but at least it should go into some list). But don't go and tell people what they have to learn, and that they have to do it there self. Of course if you would be the reporter, as a skilled programmer, you could "just do it yourself". But under the circumstances that most people cannot do this without taking very great obstacles it is as if you would tell someone in the wheelchair to just stand up, because it is so easy for you to do. It's just plain rude.

Sorry for the reaction, but this sentence annoyed me so often that I just felt the urgent need to react to it.

> You mean, learn and compose some music?

A useful report is a useful report, it doesn't matter if it comes from a musician or your cleaning women, oh and also: Always respect the cook.
Parent - - By Caesar Date 2012-11-12 11:34
I'm not saying these things because doing it would be easy for me. (Actually, if it were that easy, I would have already done it...) I'm saying this because I've heard it so often and eventually, it got to me. To stay in your picture, I was once in a wheelchair, too. I can walk now because people constantly told me to stand up.

>Sorry for the reaction, but this sentence annoyed me so often that I just felt the urgent need to react to it.

I know, we've already had that. :/ Last time, I was clever enough to not stick my nose into it.

>Always respect the cook.

?
Parent - By ala [nl] Date 2012-11-12 13:22

>Always respect the cook.
>?

Apparently, cooks will spit in your meal or modify your meal otherwise, if they don't like you.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2012-11-11 21:22
An often requested feature are little flags that show were you are from/wich languages you can speak in the lobby. It would also be good to have flags in the server list, so you know you don't have to expect a fluent game if the host stands at the other end of the world.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2012-11-12 01:18
Something that wouldn't be hard to do would be to "ping" servers to find out their responsiveness. Another one of these "moderate difficulty" things that I could advise anybody on that wants to give it a go :)
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-11-12 01:54
We should set up a list of these feature requests for OC newbies/programmers to work on, so they have some direction on what to do. :>
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-11-12 11:17
I'll begin collecting some points and post that maybe later today or tomorrow. Can't hurt to have such a list
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2012-11-12 12:57
Maybe there should be an option to vote on entries in the bug tracker, and the most prominent features/bugs get posted somewhere.

Lists are cool, but they tend to be outdated really fast. See GSoC project list.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-11-12 13:40
It's a bit easier if someone takes responsibility for that list. That's why I posted the needed-gfx-sticky in the forum rather than in the wiki (even if that means only I can edit it: it also means that I HAVE to edit it).
I try to keep that as up-to-date as possible.

The bugtracker thing would be cool, of course. But I don't get how voting for (obviously low-priority) stuff would get anyone to do it :)
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Lobby buttons