Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Female Clonks
1 2 Previous Next
Parent - By clonkine [de] Date 2010-01-16 17:42
love you, honey!
Parent - By Enrique [de] Date 2010-01-16 20:29
Never.
Parent - - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2010-01-16 21:46
Oh... crap. :S
But I'd like clonk with diffrent skin tones by random: white, "coloured" and black.
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-01-17 10:50
I wanted to mention that as well, isnt it a bit racist to have "normal" clonks white, and for example jungle clonks black.
IMO when creating a team there should be choice of:
Skin colour:
Black
Black-White
White
White-Yellow
Yellow
Yellow-Black
Green :P
Other :P
Male
Neutral
And maybe style and color of clothing as well, along with hair...
Then it would be possible to identify a clonk even w/o looking at team name...
Parent - - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2010-01-17 12:41
Are you serious? -.-
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-01-17 19:18

>Neutral

I hope not.
Parent - - By Enrique [de] Date 2010-01-17 18:50
Yay Open Clonk seems to turn into a 2D Version of Sims, where you need about an hour to create you simclonk....
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-01-17 19:04
What is bad in customising clonks? Also with this as someone said - it would make it easier to create RPG mods. Also white only clonks is a bit racist, as well as male-only is a bit sexist...
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-01-17 19:17
I think it could be pretty simple to have black/white/asian clonks by just a simple colour modulation of the teture. A few different clothes textures would be incredibly simple to make, but I think skin/clothes/gender should be all randomly set the on Clonk's creation in the player profile. As previously stated, Clonk should not be the sims.
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-01-18 12:57
You are probably right, but a bit of customisation to make highest rank clonk look more noble would be good.
Parent - - By Enrique [de] Date 2010-01-18 18:13
A rankshowing overlay (at the shoulder or at the arm) would be enough, i think.
Also, in my opinion, the Clonk just has no gender or different skin. It is just "the clonk".
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-01-18 20:10
There is no distinction between genders anyways; they are both just Clonks, whether they be male or female.
Parent - - By Loriel Date 2010-01-18 18:51
You are not supposed to create each of your clonks yourself, the engine does it for you. No worries!
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-01-18 20:12
Exactly. :) Though if someone really cares, they should be able to modify the clonk's appearance in their Player Settings.
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-01-19 11:01
I like this.
Parent - - By Enrique [de] Date 2010-01-19 22:16
So the player needs to sort his clonks out, which he dislikes ('cause of skin or smth) instead of creating ones, he likes?
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-01-20 01:04
Or maybe he wants variety...? If you had three Clonks, all of which were generated White/Female, it would be desirable to change them a bit so they are more identifiable in-game. Maybe a female player wants her Clonk leader to be female. If an african person is playing clonk, maybe he wants his Clonks african.

Everyone, just stop making ridiculous claims about others. Instantly assuming everybody is a racist, sexual predator, or any other such ignorant accusation is a pathetic argument, and will be ignored.
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-01-20 10:37

> Everyone, just stop making ridiculous claims about others. Instantly assuming everybody is a racist, sexual predator, or any other such ignorant accusation is a pathetic argument, and will be ignored.

Yup, pathetic...

Forget it. I didnt ever say it :P
Parent - - By Enrique [de] Date 2010-01-20 22:42
I am just worring, if all those different looking types fit to Clonk. Ever imagined a black skinned clonk in medieval armor? Ever thought about a red skinned asiaclonk? Such would be possible, but it is just not normal and may even strange.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-01-21 02:19
Well, Clonk history is not the same as our own. I think it would be pretty awesome to have an african knight. :D
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-01-21 11:58
Also who said clonks should be colored like humans...
Parent - - By Enrique [de] Date 2010-01-21 14:03
So Clonks should look like different human, but not include their history? All this idea, i would like rather to have in an extension pack.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-01-21 17:17
In the U.S., there are black, white, native-american, and oriental people all living in the same country. Why must their be histories in the base game? It sounds more logical to have an extension pack for the clonk race histories (f.e. FarWorlds... Jungle=African; Arctic=Native-American).
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-01-21 17:55
Clonks could get green-ish or blue-ish color. Oh well, forget it...
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-01-21 20:06
AquaClonks are blue in colour. :p
Parent - - By Enrique [de] Date 2010-01-21 18:07

>It sounds more logical to have an extension pack for the clonk race histories

and those packs include the specific skin, so that it is NOT necessary to include this as enginefeature...
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-01-21 20:09
And then you can't have african/asian clonks in the base game scenarios. No one ever said there needs to be seperate cultures for these clonks (in the base-game), it's just a texture modifcation. Sheesh.
Parent - - By Travis Date 2010-01-17 16:30
You have to think about Clonks, like about Worms, Lemmings and even Super Marios (yes!). They are the main Content of the game, and can't be changed, because it would change the way you think about it. There are two different kind of video game characters, the ones that are like from novels or movies, where you can choose to identify with them or not, or there are video game characters that work more like mascots. The identification is absolutely unimportant (unless a scenario really wants it).
An example: You can't really identify with Super Mario, because he's more like a "tool" that you take to play with (like a Clonk too), on the other hand Link, from Zelda, is really somebody to identify with, because the adventures are meant to be an emotionally travel with ups and downs.
My conclusion is, when the Clonk starts to be something with attributes, like gender, different skin color and all that, it would loose the mascot character and become something with an half identification ability that wouldn't work in the small rounds with different themes, that you play in Clonk. The Clonk would become something else.
Actually it's pretty hard for me to verbalize my thoughts on this point, perhaps somebody understands what I mean.     
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-01-17 19:27
OpenClonk is about new innovations... and what is so important about the Clonk mascot? As my friend was just saying, OpenClonk shouldn't be a retexture of Clonk Rage. This is the kind of innovation we need; change.
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-01-18 12:57
I agree with that.
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2010-01-18 10:38
You really approach the core of the issue with this post.

However considering this aspect I think that it is still possible to make the clonks look like 'individuals in a tribe of clones'. We should only allow very small differences (I could even imagine a few pixels in size, but of course nothing should affect gameplay). I wouldn't mind a female clonk either.

But I agree with you that the clonks must stay 'mascots', and should not become to individual. I thought a bit about that problem and figured that the game "The Settlers 2 remake" has solved this problem quite clever.

Example Screenshots (googled):
http://www.gaming-society.de/attachments/752d1170457308-die-siedler-ii-wikinger-neue-infos-screenshots-pic_20061205_145845.jpg
http://www.gaming-society.de/attachments/753d1170457330-die-siedler-ii-wikinger-neue-infos-screenshots-pic_20061205_150315.jpg
http://www.gaming-society.de/attachments/754d1170457407-die-siedler-ii-wikinger-neue-infos-screenshots-pic_20061205_150437.jpg
Parent - By Travis Date 2010-01-20 18:07 Edited 2010-01-20 18:14
Yes, individual aspects on the Clonks are no problem, but they should stay random. Btw, I can't see the pictures.  Edit: No, just the links are a little bit wrong.
Parent - By Carli [de] Date 2010-01-21 10:12
It would be a good idea because some people could sit in front of their computer for hours just resizing the nose of a virtual character.
Parent - By Loriel Date 2010-01-18 18:55
I cannot really follow the distinction between Mario and Link you make here. I mean, both even seem to follow the "Saving the princess" plot most of the time.
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-01-17 22:27
Well, I have here the proof that women are monsters...
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2010-01-17 22:58
Thats what you get, for too long nails. :D
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-01-17 23:14
Well finally got it right. The exporter doesn't work properly when the mesh has a translation or rotation in Blender. Here also the parenting with the armature made some problems. I got it fixed by joining the female mesh with a copie of the male one, and then remove the vertices of the male. So now the female has the exact same armature settings like the male on.
And well this picture wasn't the strangest, there were far stranger ones I encountered later.
Parent - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2010-01-17 23:31
Are you sure it was the exporter's fault, and not the engine's?
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-01-17 23:44
Reminds me of 'Lust' from Full Metal Alchemist. ;p
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-01-18 12:59
Now when you say so I see it as well...
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Female Clonks
1 2 Previous Next