Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Gems!
- - Date 2012-06-11 11:50
Parent - - By RipClaw [us] Date 2012-06-07 16:03
I now see the direction you're heading with the game, and I actually like that. The way you put it actually makes sense, and now I'm almost questioning the old games.. Although, I still think being able to make money in many ways (like in real life) was a nice thing to have.

I'm going to make another suggestion, though. Right now you mine gold, 3x gold is a bar, one bar is 25 "coins". I think there should be rare gems in the world in clusters (small "dots" of terrain in small bunches, not items. I'll make a concept art of it if you like the idea) which can be mined with a pickaxe but not explosives, maybe? Once mined you get one crude gem item, which must be crafted into a polished gem at a workshop. Then it could be sold, like a gold bar. Just a concept to get out there.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-06-07 16:07

>  I'll make a concept art of it if you like the idea

I like it. And a concept art will inspire some graphics people to do it ;)
Parent - - By RipClaw [us] Date 2012-06-07 17:00
Here's a concept image, and it's just that. I'm thinking the individual chunks should be exactly the size to break in 1 hit with a pickaxe, and it could take mining 1 or 2 chunks to get an actual crude gem as an item (Like mining gold takes 3 or so). Thus, it will feel like you just dug out a gem. Also note the chunks represent a piece of the terrain, such as an ore, rather than an item, like the flint. And a final note, a gem cluster like this would be very, very rare and I personally think it should only appear very deep underground.

Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-06-07 17:18
Mh, could those also be objects that "break loose" when hit with a pickaxe?
Then it would be easier to convey to the player that he cannot blast them like any other material.
Something like the following? (in earth, dug free, out of the socket)
Parent - - By RipClaw [us] Date 2012-06-07 17:25
I understand the illustration, but I'm not quite sure I get what you're saying. You mean for it to drop as an item (like a rock or gold nugget) when struck, but sit in place until struck again, or what?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-06-07 17:28
It should sit in place - the socket is in the background wall and the gem sits firmly in the socket until you come and demolish everything with a pickaxe
Parent - - By RipClaw [us] Date 2012-06-07 17:39
I think I understand that..

When dug with a shovel, it acts solid, like a chunk or rock or ore. When dug with a pickaxe, it drops the item form of a crude gem. When blasted with explosives, it drops nothing but destroys the chunk of ore.

Is that what you're saying?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-06-07 18:00
More like:
When dug free with a shovel it behaves like it was in the background - the Clonk can f.e. pass by it.
When hit with a pickaxe the gem (like a piece of wood) falls out of the socket (the socket remains there as background decoration).
When blasted, it behaves as if it was dug free (aka stays in the background, on the wall)
Parent - - By RipClaw [us] Date 2012-06-07 18:12
Oh! That clarifies it. I like that, I think it would add a new, unique material underground instead of just a copy-paste of the other ores.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-06-07 19:47
I guess that's interesting enough for me to implement it.
I won't put it directly into the official repository though - at least not as long as there wasn't feedback from someone else and we actually have a use for such a material :)
Parent - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-06-07 20:22
'Making money' for a start is a good purpose. I like how this would turn out to be an exploration feature.
+1
Parent - By boni [at] Date 2012-06-07 21:03
+1
But I'd give them a kinda smaller graphic when they're still buried. So you can see them a bit, and when you dig the earth away BAM there's a nice gem. Maybe also add different sizes! :3
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-06-09 19:33
How it currently looks like - (this gem-field is not exactly deep in the ground) :)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-06-11 11:50
Why is there a black circle (coal?) around the gem?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-06-11 13:10
It's part of the socket as depicted here. Only that it's white and not dark grey there
Parent - - By boni [at] Date 2012-06-11 13:36
Hm. Maybe throw some ClrModulation with the color of the material in the background over the socket.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-06-15 18:29
v- ?
Parent - - By boni [at] Date 2012-06-15 18:49
Oh. Yeah. I forgot we only have Tunnel as background material. %(
Maybe we should change that, actually.

Edit:
Actually, you can't even see the socket on tunnel now, hmz.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-06-15 19:06
No, it's the earth color.
The left socket is sulphur-yellow and the lowest socket is coal-black
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2014-03-31 23:08
Those nice little diamonds have now been lying on my hard-drive for around one and a half year due to lack of feedback *bump*
Parent - By Maikel Date 2014-04-01 08:40
You know my opinion I guess, I think having them in a few scenario is not bad, but in all I would not like, there seems to be little use for them.
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2014-04-01 08:57
Wasn't there the idea that they are far more subtle, so that you might actually pass right by them if you don't look hard enough?
Not that this appearance is bad, but the way they plop up into view seems to invite to just dig around a lot thoughlessly.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2014-04-01 11:25
At some point they were just cracks in the wall when dug out. I wasn't too happy with how that looked, though. Maybe I'll try it again.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2014-04-01 11:53

> but the way they plop up into view seems to invite to just dig around a lot thoughlessly.

How's there no invitation when these are more subtle? You still gotta find them ;)
Parent - By Apfelclonk [de] Date 2014-04-01 15:01
Personally I'd prefer having even more things hidden in the background-landscape like chests/skulls/bones. In fact that now every in earth object is now represented by a material, one could remove them or merely draw them before foreground material, so they would be random additional stuff, nothing you go to dig for. People would call that unclonky and I'm sure its not a small step, changing in earth materials, but I think it fits better for the overall changes yet made. The problem that would come with it would be firestones falling even so random at the clonks and you can't dodge them properly (Maybe they emit light or raise otherwisely the player's attention to fix that).
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-06-07 16:55

>I'm going to make another suggestion, though. Right now you mine gold, 3x gold is a bar, one bar is 25 "coins". I think there should be rare gems in the world in clusters (small "dots" of terrain in small bunches, not items. I'll make a concept art of it if you like the idea)

The direction of having more interesting stuff in the ground is where I want to head too.
The player should imo be rewarded for exploration - when they are new to the game they should have the "Oh, I have not seen that yet!" moment. And even later it should be "Oh, cool, I found something! I will remember this spot for later" rather than "Ok. Another chunk of gold."
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2012-08-02 22:15
The player would really be happy if he finds a gem, when they are not visible at all as long as they are in the earth. Then it's like in Minecraft, when you find diamonds... You know they are somewhere, but you just have to be lucky to find one, because you can't see where they are.
Sorry for the late reply, I hope it doesn't hurt anyone.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-08-02 22:45
No, it doesn't hurt anyone :)
And yes, we definitely need a "OMGOMG I FOUND A TREASURE"-effect!
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-08-03 20:38
Well, when PeterW finishes the dynamic lighting system, it's going to be difficult to see underground anyways. (a very good thing imo)
Parent - - By Dragonclonk [de] Date 2012-08-03 07:07
My first thought of the invisible-idea: http://www.cc.striver.net/shots.php?action=sh&id=2367 The player would raid the landscape.
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2012-08-03 15:44
Do we have different earth textures? One way to fix this problem would be to put the gems under an earth texture that looks slightly different to the normal earth. Then the player would vagually know where the gems are, but still has to search for them by digging away the special earth. So the players task is first to search for an area where gems are present AND then aditionally dig for them, until he finally finds one.
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Gems!