Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Crash Landing mission: Path to the plane
- - By Stuebi [ch] Date 2015-01-10 14:20
So I have just aborted a 2 and a half hour session of "Crash landing" the second mission.

It took me quite a while allready to cross that damn lake (Pumping it out takes FOREVER, so I eventually just built a bridge out of building basements. They only cost 2 stones after all, still took quite a while tough). And then I discovered that the plane isnt right there on the first mountain on the other side, instead it's quite a stretch above, and it's not possible to climb there.

Now, since there isnt anyway to craft climbing equipment like the hook, I came to the conclusion that you have to build a way up using loam. And I just couldnt be bothered to invest another hour or two for that.

So, am I missing something? Hidden chests? a secret source of loam or anything? Because if not, I really do think the missions is just designed to be one giant time sink. Having to build over the Lava bridge is enough of a hassle, and THEN having to make a ton of trips for water, crafting loam and using it as a ladder? I really do hope I missed an obvious solution for the whole thing.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2015-01-10 17:33
There is a faster way to solve this yes. Even a buggy way which only takes 10 minutes. There is enough loam in the landscape to get up to the plane once you have crossed the lake. To cross it, you could also use a catapult ;)
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2015-01-10 17:42
You can shoot yourself with the catapult and use existing loam to get up. There are many ways to solve this round. I haven't thought about basements yet that's a creative way :-)

But I wonder why it takes you an hour to build some loam? You just need to bring some water and buckets of earth to the foundry. You do know you can build multiple pieces of loam from a single bucket of water? And that you can carry multiple buckets of earth and put them all into the foundry?
- - By Stuebi [ch] Date 2015-01-10 18:14
Ah, I did not actually know you could make multiple pieces of loam from one barrel of water. >.<

I was carrying a barrel for each one, you can imagine how long that took.

About the catapult tough. It only flings me a few feet, which is nowhere near enough to cross the lake. Is there a way to charge it up?
Parent - By Maikel Date 2015-01-10 18:17
Using to clonks, and holding the mouse and draw it away to span it more.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2015-01-10 23:59
Keep the mouse button down. The farther you are away from the catapult with the mouse, the stronger the shot.
Parent - - By Stuebi [ch] Date 2015-01-11 01:41
Carging it up seems to work with launching things, but I cant when launching myself. Maybe it would be possible with a second clonk, but I only got one sadly.
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2015-01-11 02:13
Yeah you need two clonks for maximum range.

You might also be able to buy extra clonks at the flagpole. I know you can in Deep Sea Mining.
- - By ala Date 2015-02-02 19:54
Just wanted to add that I had the same problems when I played (somewhere in early December), and ditched the mission - I really didn't like it.

I too was annoyed because I thought I would need too many buckets. And building a giant bridge is lame anyway.
2 clonks for the catapult works better? - the last time we tried this in multiplayer was a total fail and the clonk was shot into the abyss, far too risky.

So I tried the pump with fast command, but the pumping process got stuck several times for no apparent reason. It appears that flooding caves with the pump was bugged, I reported this into the bug tracker, but didn't finish my mission.

So this is really not a beginner friendly mission at all, I would appreciate it if less special knowledge (loam, catapult range, way of right pumping etc.) to make it shorter and easier.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2015-02-03 00:25
I'm always surprised at how hard the game seems to be. When we developers play, everything always feels way too easy and we worry that people get bored.

Crash Landing was the first mission we made I think. Its difficulty is hard to estimate because you never know where people get stuck. Maybe a way to it is just to add more easy missions so it moves forward in the mission chain. I could also put it behind Deep Sea Mining, although I really think Deep Sea is harder.

The pump is already pretty fast (about three times as fast as in Clonk Rage I think). But it needs a lot of power to work properly.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2015-02-03 08:44

> The pump is already pretty fast (about three times as fast as in Clonk Rage I think). But it needs a lot of power to work properly.

What do you mean with this statement?

I think moving missions in front of it is the best way to go (but not deep sea mining, that is way too hard). And maybe add a few more NPC's to Crash.ocs which have some hints to share, one could even think about some NPC selling knowledge for an airship.
Parent - - By Sven2 Date 2015-02-03 12:38
The pump needs a lot more power than e.g. in Clonk Rage. If you don't have full wind all the time, I think you need about two generators (windmills) per pump.

(It also depends on the vertical distance being pumped, so maybe you actually need less in Crash Landing)
Parent - By Maikel Date 2015-02-03 12:43
You would need less, but in my latest attempt with catapult shooting the sources into the water they all ended up at the bottom of the reservoir, so I ended up with a lot of windmills.

The waterfall in that reservoir can only sustain two pumps at most anyways.
Parent - By Sven2 Date 2015-02-03 13:48
I fear that with too many NPCs, players will just skip over the text.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2015-02-03 19:47
Player:

>That's a weird spot for a clonk to stand in.

Gyro Gearloose:

>Yeah, I know! I'm here at this weird place because one of my experiments went horribly wrong...

Player:

>What happend?

Gearloose:

>You see, fuel has gotten pretty rare and expensive in the last days. To save me some money, I tried to reach remote places by launching myself off with a catapult!

Player:

>That sounds pretty dangerous.

Gearloose:

>Bah, if your aim is good, you can just hop into a catapult and and off you go! It's a really good way to quickly reach distant locations. Only few people seem to know this secret! And even less actually do it!

Player:

>I wonder why...

Gearloose:

>Well, to be fair... it is pretty dangerous. I almost flung myself into the lava lake because I couldn't find my glasses. Fortunately I missed it by just a few inches and landed here. Stubbed my toe pretty bad though. Should have put on my safety-sandals...

Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2015-02-03 20:39
OK, added it!
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2015-02-03 21:07
Oh. :o Cool! :D
Don't know if the name Gearloose is protected though. It's Disney's Daniel Düsentrieb! /o\
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2015-02-03 21:15
Oh, I didn't know that. Yes, I think it's protected at least in the US. The Mickey Mouse Protection Act extends copyright on Disney figures whenever it would otherwise run out. I'll change the name.
Parent - - By Fluff [gb] Date 2015-02-04 01:37
English senses tingling.

>You see, fuel has gotten pretty rare and expensive recently. To save me some money, I tried to reach remote places by launching myself off with a catapult!

>Bah, if your aim is good, you can just hop into a catapult and and off you go! It's a really good way to quickly reach distant locations quickly. Only a few people seem to know this secret! And even fewer actually do it!

Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2015-02-05 20:54
I trust your Englishs are all very good around. Changed it; thanks!
Parent - - By Fluff [gb] Date 2015-02-05 22:06
My am has exponentially good englishes.

Also, I would liking to tell you that you are beneficiary of will. In order to assist transfer of assets, please to be sending a small funding for my Prince of Nigeria golf tournament.

I looks forwards to hearing you.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2015-02-03 20:01

> 2 clonks for the catapult works better? - the last time we tried this in multiplayer was a total fail and the clonk was shot into the abyss, far too risky.

The first five missions all have infinite relaunch. So it's really not risky at all :o
Parent - By ala Date 2015-02-04 04:45
Ah? Well IF I would have known about that, yeah.. I guess I would have tried.
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Crash Landing mission: Path to the plane