Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Controls Branch - State
1 2 3 4 Previous Next
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-01-26 10:48
Would there be an advantage for the player to have the material measurered in pixels? I don't see how "needs 175 pixels earth" would be /better/ than "needs 5 earth" (like the alchemical components in CR). It would just need additional coding.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [it] Date 2015-01-28 11:08
The problem with earth objects from a developer perspective is that you'd have to set a fixed amount of pixels worth "one lump of earth" (say it's 20). What happens if the player picks up 19 pixels? Do you get the remaining pixels for free (possible earth creation exploit, however bad that may be). How do you communicate the missing pixels to the player otherwise?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-01-28 13:06
Isnt't that the same problem with the bucket at the moment? Or does the bucket have more than two states (full and empty)?

If so, I'd say the bucket should either round down or remember single pixels like digging in CR did.
I feel like I remember that we had this problem at some point in the past already.

PS: even if the bucket rounded down, I'd say the positive aspects of easier handling for the players still outweight that
Parent - - By Sven2 Date 2015-01-28 13:31
I am not sure what the bucket does. But I do know that if I do not pick enough pixels, loam won't be built. I always use two buckets to build loam, fill both and queue two pieces. Then either one or two pieces are built (depending on what the random pixel god found in water barrel+earth bucket) and I refill both buckets. If nothing is built, I refill the water. It's always a guessing game.

A newbie who tries to figure out how to build loam has a high chance of failing this (e.g. water barrel or earth bucket not full) and will have no idea what went wrong. It's also completely unnecessery to make loam building so complicated, because both earth and water are typically available in abundance. You just don't get them into the foundry.

If the containers automatically emptied themselves into the foundry and there were an easy way to see how many pieces of loam I could build with the current materials, that would be an incredible improvement.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [it] Date 2015-01-28 15:31
The bucket basically works the same as the barrel. It stores earth on a 1:1 basis, one pixel extracted is one pixel stored. But yes, it's not so nice to not be able to see how much earth you've got.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [it] Date 2015-01-28 15:28
Yes, that's more or less the same problem right now. But when we talk about display, we might just make it show pixels instead of something else we get rounding issues with.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-01-28 15:42
I am not only talking about display. I am also talking about how "earth" works internally and about unifying everything: production materials, containers, inventory display, player intuition aaand of course allowing CreateContents(Earth, 5)
Parent - - By Sven2 Date 2015-01-28 16:30

> CreateContents(Earth, 5)

Or CreateContents(Earth)->SetStackCount(5) if it's using the stackable library.

Another advantage would be that if destroy e.g. a foundry that contains earth, the earth could eject and the earth object could automatically dissipate into PXS on ejection.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-01-28 16:36

>Or CreateContents(Earth)->SetStackCount(5) if it's using the stackable library.

As long as we don't win anything with that (like compressing things to one slot for the Clonk), I don't think we should complicate things just because we can. I'd prefer unity over individual solutions any time. Especially if we are still hoping to win new scripters, who start scripting/coding with OpenClonk.
Parent - - By Sven2 Date 2015-01-28 16:52
We win by having fewer objects. And the possibility to have an infinite supply.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-01-28 17:47
But with that argument we should make every other object (Firestones, Nuggets, Wood, Rocks, Bows, Swords) stackable, too :)
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2015-01-28 21:55
Yes, that is true. I sometimes find it annoying that I couldn't just give an infinite stack of firestones to AI enemies.

But one advantage if stackable is that we could then use pixels as the stack count to make Pyrit happy.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2015-01-28 17:53
I was thinking it would be easiest if we have a water and earth object which can not be collected by the clonk, but are just used for displaying, so the bucket can container 3 earth at most and the barrel 5 water. There could be a bit of rounding problems but who cares (the bucket contains 1 earth if it has between 25 and 75 pixels, 2 earth if between 75 and 125, and 3 earth if above 125, 150 is max). These objects are then basically automatically transferred to the foundry and you can only take them out with the barrel or bucket (or the pump). Upon foundry destruction we could either do nothing of let them emit some pixels.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2015-01-28 18:04
From a players point of view, I have to say, I hate the bucket, too. But here's the thing: The barrel works the same way as the bucket does, yet nobody complains about the barrel. The reason for that, I think is, that you always get a reasonable amount of water with the barrel. Plus you see pretty good ingame how much water is extracted from the landscape.

The problem with the bucket is that you don't know how much earth it picked up after you used it. It makes an irregular shape of tunnel into the landscape wich makes it hard to know how much earth you have picked up. Especially when you are mining earth in a cave, wich is 99% the case. I often take in only ONE PIXEL and didn't realize it.

So the problem with the bucket is not the way the contents are measured, but how you obtain them. Having the contents show up as items instead of pixels doesn't change the fact that mining with the bucket is still a pain. You'd just get 1 or none earth-items into the bucket, instead of getting 1 or 2 pixels on your first try.

You could show the buckets contents either as items, or pixels, but you'd still have to probaby try several times until you get it full. So I see really no downsides in showing contents as pixels. I see more downsides with an item based approach, thoght. Like Clonko said, rounding errors. CR had that problem, that sometimes you'd get an earth object from 1 pixel earth, bacause you digged away some earth before. Showing pixels has the advantage, that you know what you have, it doesn't change, and you can't exploit it.

At this point I'd just thro out the bucket from the game (also because in minecraft bucket holds liquids, not dirt).

We could instead put clay items directly into the earth. Just a few, so you don't get spammed. They could even be very rare and big and carry-heavy. But you'd get like 5 loam out of one. It would make a positive expierience for the player to find a clay-item.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2015-01-28 21:53
I find the barrel just as annoying. The only upside is that if the barrel is half full and you put it into water, it will auto-fill completely. If the bucket is half full and you click again, it will empty. And then you have another try at filling it, which may or may not result in more earth in the bucket.

One advantage of "chunk items" versus pixels is that we can use the same component-based scripting for item assembly. So components of loam are e.g. Components=Earth=1;Water=1; and no extra scripting is required to handle material components. At the moment, the material components scripting pretty much doubles the scripting effort in the producer library.

We could also use pixels if we then use the stackable library. Then 200 pixels of water would just be CreateContents(Water)->SetStackCount(200). With 200 individual items per full water buckets, we would soon reach areas where performance may be affected.

> At this point I'd just thro out the bucket from the game (also because in minecraft bucket holds liquids, not dirt).
> We could instead put clay items directly into the earth. Just a few, so you don't get spammed. They could even be very rare and big and carry-heavy. But you'd get like 5 loam out of one. It would make a positive expierience for the player to find a clay-item.

I am not sure about this. The upside of the current approach is that once you have set up loam production, you can make any amount of it. Also, I like the clonk graphics when he/she carries two buckets :D
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2015-01-29 13:04

> So components of loam are e.g. Components=Earth=1;Water=1; and no extra scripting is required to handle material components. At the moment, the material components scripting pretty much doubles the scripting effort in the producer library.

That would be nice and simple. I like it.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-08-30 19:06

>Yes, picking up objects by pressing DOWN would be really convenient, having to scroll to a free spot really isn't.

I am now testing the following:
* automatic collection into free slot is gone (automatic collection in general..)
* you can collect stuff by tapping [Ctrl]
* if you hold Ctrl, you can also navigate through possible objects via left/right

Attachment: Controls_PickingUpStuff.gif - Controls Branch - Picking up objects via Ctrl (444k)
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2015-08-30 20:48
Sounds (and looks) really awesome!
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2015-08-30 23:59 Edited 2015-08-31 00:58
This works also when swimming? Seems to be quite nice, have to test it.

After test: I fixed some script errors, but I need to press both of my Ctrl buttons to make it work (on ubuntu 14.04 x64).
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-08-31 07:22

> I fixed some script errors

Was effect a script error for you? That should be the right keyword there

> but I need to press both of my Ctrl buttons to make it work (on ubuntu 14.04 x64)

Meh. I had to use Key=Ctrl+LeftControl to make it work for me (on windows). But I assumed windows and linux would at least behave the same..
Sven2, help! You know better than me how this stuff works :)

PS:

>This works also when swimming?

Yes, it should. It should actually work everywhere - maybe it's actually too lenient (during tumble etc.), but we'll see.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2015-08-31 23:56
No effect was not a script error, has this keyword been introduced recently? I always though it was a proplist.

What about just LeftControl?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-09-01 11:59 Edited 2015-09-01 12:55

>What about just LeftControl?

I tried every possible combination of single buttons (Ctrl, LeftControl, LCtrl) just to then step through the debugger and see that I needed Ctrl+LeftControl.

But Sven has now implemented support for simply LeftControl, so it's rejoicing time now.

PS:

>No effect was not a script error, has this keyword been introduced recently? I always though it was a proplist.

It was introduced in 2011. And effects are proplists, but so are id and object
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-09-01 12:49 Edited 2015-09-01 12:51
Sven2, you broke my build :(

I get the same error as in the autobuilds:
https://autobuild.openclonk.org/builds/ec09d03b-677b-46bd-8628-fbe6ad621583/#make_3A_20openclonk

PS: wait, gammaramp? So it was PeterW!
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2015-09-01 13:15
I broke the mac build though. But it's weird because the left/right control keywords are not defined. I think Morti has look into this. If I just ifdef it, mac users can't user left/right control.

Are there even two control keys on a mac?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-09-01 13:50
Thanks for the fix.

I have one more problem now, though:
Previously, I had the navigation on Ctrl+CON_Left and Ctrl+CON_Right. Now, the picking up is not hard-wired to the "ctrl" key anymore but to an arbitrary key "LeftControl", that the player could also put on "A" or something..
But when I hold down LeftControl now, the normal CON_Left and CON_Right controls do not fire anymore. I guess that is somewhat intended, but could it be changed so that a control with a modifier is tried without its modifier in case the modifier-control was not caught by a script?
Then the user could also put that key on LeftAlt/LeftShift/X and it would work with any key. (I don't want to leave it on Ctrl+CON_Left, because the user should be able to put the control from LeftControl to f.e. Gamepad_X1)
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2015-09-01 14:23
I don't like that fallback at all. In all other applications, Ctrl+Key points to a control function and does not execute any regular key action. e.g. in this browser window, F3 opens a search box and Ctrl+F3 just does nothing.

You can just define a second navigation key as "Key=Ctrl+NavigateLeft" (or however your navigation control is called) and give that low priority. It would effectively be the fallback you want, but only for that control. Of course you would also need Shift+NavigateLeft in case the user decides to put pickup on shift (they cannot put it on Alt obviously).
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-09-01 19:42
I don't know any game where I stop moving when I hit CTRL in addition to WASD - even if that does not have a special function (like crouching)
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2015-09-01 15:08
Oh, or are you saying that if you define a key assignment e.g. as:

Key=Pickup,NavigateLeft

with simultaneous keys and the pickup key is "Control", then the NavigateLeft key should automatically be filled in as Ctrl+(whatever was assigned to NavigateLeft)?
Parent - By Sven2 [us] Date 2015-09-01 15:22 Edited 2015-09-02 00:45
(It would be Key=NavigateLeft,Pickup of course) No it would be CON_Pickup,CON_NavigateLeft - the TriggerKey is always the last key of the combo.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-09-01 19:43
That would work as well, if I could just set my new control to Key=CON_Pickup,CON_Left
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2015-09-02 00:43
Okay, implemented it that way and pushed.

I find this combination rather awkward btw. So it is LeftControl+A and LeftControl+D?

As a left-hander using the keyboard with the right hand, I would press LeftControl with the thumb. But how do right-handed players do it?

Also test + finish your checkbox on the trello card please!
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-09-02 07:40

>I find this combination rather awkward btw. So it is LeftControl+A and LeftControl+D?
>As a left-hander using the keyboard with the right hand, I would press LeftControl with the thumb. But how do right-handed players do it?

It's not like I made up that control scheme myself. I think it's how 99% of all shooters handle crouching or walking since 1993. And it seems to work decently there.
But yeah, I am using my pinky to hold ctrl as a right-hander

>Okay, implemented it that way and pushed.

Doesn't seem to work flawlessly yet. When I use the key Y for CON_Pickup and use Key=CON_Pickup,CON_Left for switching, the controls seem to be passed as expected.
When I use LeftControl for CON_Pickup (same for switching), it doesn't work anymore. I have to use Key=CON_Pickup,Ctrl+CON_Left for switching then, which kind of defeats the purpose of a free key assignment for CON_Pickup.

Sooo, I guess either I misunderstood how I should use it or I was too vague about how I was going to use it :I
Parent - By Sven2 [us] Date 2015-09-02 14:50
Are you sure you've tested with the latest commit? Leaving out the Ctrl+ was exactly the change I have made (and also tested).

Can you paste a reduced sample PlayerControls.txt that does not work?
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2015-09-02 14:50
What about accidentally hitting the Windows key?
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2015-09-02 15:02
That's something gamers have to deal with all the time. Or use your highly professional gaming keyboard!

Windows Key Lock

Accidentally pressing the Windows key during an intense game can result in losing rather than winning. You have the power to completely disable the Windows key by merely sliding a switch.

http://eustore.madcatz.com/Categories-EU_2/keyboards-category-EU/Mad-Catz-Titanfall-S-T-R-I-K-E-3-Gaming-Keyboard-for-PC_2.html
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2015-09-02 19:03
Parent - - By Clonkonaut Date 2015-09-02 08:23
Left-hander using the left hand for keyboard: little finger does shift or ctrl.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2015-09-02 09:52
If Shift is not taken yet, I think it would be easier to reach
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2015-08-31 10:35
Very nice. Will also positively affect carry heavy collection!
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2015-08-31 15:41
Nice particle effect. Did you try to overlay the whole object with an additive version of itself as "selection mark"? I think this might even look better than this light flash.

Btw the text floating up after collection is perfect, that is a really nice feedback for the player.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-08-31 17:22

>Did you try to overlay the whole object with an additive version of itself as "selection mark"? I think this might even look better than this light flash

I can try that. Won't work well for very dark stuff like coal then, but I guess that's not really an issue
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-08-31 21:56
I gave the overlay a much higher Plane so that it's in front of everything (see bucket behind coal) - I like it :)
Attachment: Controls_PickingUpStruff2.gif - Controls - New Highlighting of Pickup Item (379k)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2015-08-31 22:27
@Coal: Wasn't there a blit mode next to additive that effectively made the object brighter? GFX_BLIT_Mod2
@Particles: How about removing the glitter (imo this kind of fect should be used only for "ingame" effects, not menu selections) and adding this short light flash again? The flash made the newly selected object "pop up" better

Also, to further make it clear that it is just a selection the player is doing, perhaps highlight both the particle (flash) and the overlay in a certain common color - best the same color that is used for selections in menus. I'd suggest "light bluish" because it is a color that is well different from the rest of the colors in the game so it is clear to the user that the light/effects he sees there is nothing "ingame" but just a selection. (Not glow worms, not signifying that the item is worth very much and also not a light source)
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-09-01 12:21 Edited 2015-09-01 12:23

>Wasn't there a blit mode next to additive that effectively made the object brighter? GFX_BLIT_Mod2

That seems to be glitched for sprites - maybe a shader problem or so. But in this case, I really don't think it's important. The coal really is a corner case and for 99% of the items it works well!

>How about removing the glitter (imo this kind of fect should be used only for "ingame" effects, not menu selections) and adding this short light flash again?
>[...]make it clear that it is just a selection ..[...]

I get your point with the particles. However, I don't like the flash.
What about a standard selector effect like the players know it from 99% of all other games :)?

PS: I like how the selector circle is just a pure particle effect!
PPS: and it's in player colour of course!
Attachment: Controls_PickingUpStuff3.gif - Controls - New Highlighting of Pickup Item #2.0 (910k)
Parent - By Wipfhunter [at] Date 2015-09-01 17:49 Edited 2015-09-01 17:51

>What about a standard selector effect like the players know it from 99% of all other games :)?

Looks good. Just keep in mind that darker player colours could be a problem regarding visibility.
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2015-09-01 18:26
Finde ich leider nicht so schön. :D
So ein helles Licht hinter dem Objekt wie im ersten Bild fänd ich besser. :D

@Kohle:
Wie wäre es mit SetGamma(), aber für einzelne Objekte?
Oder Lassen sich einzelne Objekte mit Shadern verändern? Und diese Shader dann per script an- und abschalten?

E: I forgot to english.
Parent - By Nachtfalter Date 2015-09-01 18:19
+1
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2015-01-22 20:52
Sorry, I just played again, and now it worked. I probably had it clogged up with the production queue. ;/
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2015-01-22 21:53
I seem to have some strange menu entry selection offsets, maybe due to the top bar when not in editor mode. Can you reproduce?
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-01-23 07:54
I didn't test it yet, but that is very plausible. That was an issue one time before I rewrote the layouting. I might have forgotten that offset again
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Controls Branch - State
1 2 3 4 Previous Next