Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Controls Branch - State
1 2 3 4 Previous Next
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2015-03-09 17:25
Sounds lika a good change to me :)
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2015-03-09 18:33
Might be very cool and convenient, but also very unpredictable and hard to explain. I am still undecided, especially without having tested it.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-03-09 19:42
Yep, me too. If it happens on accident we should get rid of it again.

Oh, I don't think it's too hard to explain btw; from my experience testers did two things when trying to drop items: drag the item from the slot to the ground OR click on the ground below the Clonk
Parent - - By Clonkonaut Date 2015-03-09 18:37
Are you by chance also tackling the backwards-in-your-own-face throw?
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-03-09 19:43
I'll put it on the list
Parent - - By Caesar [jp] Date 2015-03-16 13:58
What if you try throwing at enemies below you, from a cliff?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-03-16 14:28
Then, in the current state, you would have tumbled yourself down the cliff and died in the shark lake beneath.

With the new behaviour, you will only drop the item and you will be spared of a horrible, horrible fate. The item might even roll down the cliff and kill a shark.
Parent - - By Sven2 Date 2015-03-16 15:23
Are you sure you're falling down? From my experience, I would sometimes hurt myself throwing, but wouldn't tumble down.

In any case: I think the ideal behaviour would be to allow throwing downwards (maybe if you're clicking outside the drop rectangle) and not hurt yourself. Either by throwing from an offset or by disabling collision with the thrower for a few frames.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-03-16 20:05
Is throwing straight down desirable?
Parent - By Matthias [de] Date 2015-03-16 21:02
Only if the game kicks into a bollywood-style slow-motion with the clonk performing a somersault with a twist while throwing. Alternatively a basketball dunk.
Parent - - By Sven2 Date 2015-03-16 21:22
Yeah, I've often tried that. E.g. when you're mining something directly under you, you would jump over the vein and throw down when you're above. Or when you're jumping over a gap into which you want to throw a grenade or firestone. Unfortunately, it usually results in hitting yourself and tumbling down together with the firestone at the moment :(

It wouldn't matter much (and wouldn't seem unrealistic) if you just dropped in this case of course.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-03-16 21:34

>It wouldn't matter much (and wouldn't seem unrealistic) if you just dropped in this case of course.

..yeah, I was gonna say that after reading the first part of your post :)
- - By Maikel Date 2015-06-01 15:22
More feedback: the interaction menu for the flagpole allows you to put stuff inside the flagpole, which is then lost forever, since it is not a container you can access with E. Also I suggest to use the wealth icon instead of $ for prices:

entry.price.Text = Format("<c ffff00>%d{{GUI_Wealth}}</c>", value);

Maybe when you try to put stuff into the flapole it should be either blocked (e.g. hammer) or be sold (e.g. gold bar).
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-06-01 19:57
All good and valid - I guess that falls into the category "just not tested yet" :)
- - By Maikel Date 2015-06-02 17:01 Edited 2015-06-02 17:03
Zapper: I am cleaning up the docs a bit, text and code is not displayed correctly. Can I move gui.xml to the definition folder and give it the same status as defcore.xml for example. GUIs need an object, or? Or maybe rather the same as Effects.xml in the script folder.

Did you also document the script functions? Otherwise I'll do that as well. A list would be nice.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-06-02 20:06

>GUIs need an object, or?

Nope and as "definition" is supposed to contain stuff that belongs to objects, I'd say it's the wrong place :)

script is probably a good spot. In retrospect I have no idea why I didn't put it there in the first place.

>Did you also document the script functions? Otherwise I'll do that as well. A list would be nice.

I think I did. Not 100% sure whether I caught all of them, though. Magically, the functions related to GUI stuff all start with Gui*, so they are easy to find in the fn folder :)
Parent - By Maikel Date 2015-06-02 21:03
Ok super, I put it in script.
- - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-09-02 22:26
I casually merged Controls now, because Sven2 et al. forced me at gunpoint.

Well, there is some stuff yet to be done, but it's playable in general (I hope). Everything should be shallowly tested but I still expect some bugs - maybe even some major ones.
We'll progress from here.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2015-09-02 22:34
Cool, thanks for everything!

I think from now on, major bugs can be added to the bugtracker with Category Engine - Controls.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2015-09-03 11:14

>forced me at gunpoint.

Americans...
- - By vagner [br] Date 2015-09-22 11:51
Today I tested the new controls.

This is my critic, for improvment.
You guys did a great work in the new inventory menu.
The new option to select the item to catch is very interesting, but here is my first opnion for change. Catch a item is a action we do all the time, maybe more than 100 times in a single game, but do a rolling with Clonk is not used constantly. In the same thinking, to press key down is more confortable than to press the Shift key. If in a game we will catch more itens than do a rolling, then my vote is to do this change:
Shift key to do a rolling, and down key to catch itens.
My second thinking is about the mouse rolling button. More than 90% of the games in the market use this button to do zoon in and zoon out, the great upgrade in openclonk is the possibility in do the zoon. But now this button is used to change the inventary focus and without precision. Is very easy to change the inventary in the keys (1-5), we need a secundary option? This improvement in zoon  sacrifice is valid? Why not the Q to change the inventary focus?

It is my opinion.

Sorry for my bad english.The new controls is a great upgrade for openclonk. Congratulations for the work.
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2015-09-22 12:26
Good points! You are right with the rolling / picking up things. Also many games use shift for sprinting, and the roll is also a kind of sprint.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-09-22 12:38

>More than 90% of the games in the market use this button to do zoon in and zoon out

From my experience more than 97.5% of the games which have an inventory use the mouse-wheel for scrolling through the inventory ;)
Zooming is now on [ctrl]+[mouse wheel]. I think that's okay, because you use your inventory a lot more than you zoom in and out. And it's still an easy key to reach.

>The new option to select the item to catch is very interesting, but here is my first opnion for change. Catch a item is a action we do all the time, maybe more than 100 times in a single game, but do a rolling with Clonk is not used constantly. In the same thinking, to press key down is more confortable than to press the Shift key. If in a game we will catch more itens than do a rolling, then my vote is to do this change:

You are right about the roll - for example, it is too easy to roll on accident at the moment AND the roll is not really an important feature.
But collection on [down] has some issues: it's a different key when scaling or when hangling on the ceiling. And it's also not possible to collect with [down] when swimming. The [shift] key is now the "inventory key": you can collect with shift, select an item to collect with shift+left/right, pick up all items with shift+up, drop your hand-item with shift+throw (rightclick), drop an inventory item with shift+number.

Let's at least test it some more before we do major changes :)
Parent - By vagner [br] Date 2015-09-22 13:38
I didn't Know the  [ctrl]+[mouse wheel]. For me the Zooming is ok now.
About the Shift, i will think about the  "issues", maybe we can found a new option, because the Shift is not the perfect button.
- - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-09-22 13:53
What about changing the default inventory button from [shift] to [space]?

(And the grab-object-button from [space] to [shift] or something..)
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2015-09-22 15:18
I think Shift makes sense there, and people can always interchange those buttons in the options.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-09-23 09:19
Shift is not the worst button, but I admit that space is more reachable. Aaand I guess picking up items is a lot more common than grabbing lorries.
You are of course right about the options, but don't forget that all the Let's Players will leave the options on default at first and then flame if anything does not feel right :)
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2015-09-23 09:21
In my opinion interaction is more important and somehow feels better to have on space, but we can have a vote on this I presume and change the default to the majority.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-09-23 09:24
Yeah, I am also not sure about that. But I guess everything is worth a try - not like we want to release anytime soon :D
(especially since I guess picking up items is an action that has to be executed fast and without thinking more often than grabbing stuff (hectic melee vs. settlement))
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2015-09-23 13:58 Edited 2015-09-23 15:59
Interaction became less important now that production was moved to the contents menu. Picking up stuff is more frequent than grabbing things.

One downside I see nonetheless is that people are more used to holding down shift and pressing other things (currently left, right, up, maybe down) than doing the same with space bar.
Parent - By vagner [br] Date 2015-09-23 14:41
After testing more often the new controls, I have familiarized myself with the Shift button. This are working fine
Parent - By Sven2 [us] Date 2015-09-23 15:22
Space is harder to press on many keyboards though.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2015-09-22 18:08
How do Terraria and Starbound so it? I haven't played these games, are they comparable?
Parent - - By vagner [br] Date 2015-09-22 18:53
Terraria / Starbound you don't press button to collect itens. If you have space the item will enter in inventory.

About the new health/Breath Menu. The rounded side bar is no longer fashionable?

I am working to insert the third bar (Magic/Ammo/others).
Because i will use it to control the ammo from the EkePack.
If i do the change, can Zapper insert it in script? I want do something like a local variable. If it is 1 the bar will be showed. If it be 0 the bar will not be showed.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2015-09-22 21:08
The round bar will be reimplemented if someone finds the time, you can add a bugtracker entry for that if you want.

About the magic bar, I doubt a solution with local variables will be good.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-09-22 22:09
There is actually some sort of progress/loading bar implemented, you could try whether you like it first:
Our AimManager once had that activated, have a look at the commit here. You just need to call CreateProgressBar(GUI_HUDProgressBar, ... once and then SetValue on it every time the ammunition changes.
See Aim Manager
Parent - - By vagner [br] Date 2015-09-23 00:19
Hi, i found a bug:
if the Health is 10:

http://prntscr.com/8jefss

to solve:
http://prntscr.com/8jee8f
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-09-23 09:05
Cool, thanks!
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2015-09-30 10:34
With the HUD redesign I added support for magic bars and potentially more bars. Yet, I haven't made a nice usable interface to add any bars you like. But you can do the following on the clonk:
GetMagicEnergy()
GetMaxMagicEnergy()
SetMagicEnergy(value)
DoMagicEnergy(change, partial)

Those function also have a precision value. See also https://git.openclonk.org/openclonk.git/blob/HEAD:/planet/Objects.ocd/Clonk.ocd/Script.c#l650

/e

Only in the snapshot and prone to sudden changes.
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2015-09-30 15:01
I know some hatred against libraries has come up these days, but I think the magic energy functions in the clonk could go into an included library so you can add magic capabilities to other crew member objects (e.g., the ball in that clonk fest mini game could cast spells) just by including the library.
Parent - By Clonkonaut Date 2015-09-30 15:09
Yes, yes, Zapper already grumbled about that. I will in due time move all that code into something more general. The crew HUD is equipped with a possibility to show an unlimited number of custom bars. I just haven't done a proper interface yet.

Nonetheless, I think, the function names and their application towards the clonk will not change.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2015-10-02 21:25
I just realized Windows users will complain about the Einrastfunktion when spamming shift too often...
Parent - By Maikel Date 2015-10-02 21:35
We should not care about windows or apple users.
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Controls Branch - State
1 2 3 4 Previous Next