Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / Tasks for the release
1 2 Previous Next
- - By Newton [de] Date 2010-04-11 22:35 Edited 2010-04-13 19:16
Our ship has set sails for the release!
As any other open source project, Open Clonk lives on what involved people (like you probably, otherwise you wouldn't read this eh?) contribute. And since this highly depends on how much time they can and want to invest in Open Clonk, there is no time schedule. What we have, however, is a schedule of what needs to get done for the release.

Everything that is needed to be done for the release is listed in this topic. I divided the tasks into essential stuff and optional stuff. We won't release before the essential stuff isn't done. To have the optional stuff done is very desireable but we won't delay the release for it.

Assigning tasks
If you want to help the project by completing certain tasks, just reply to that message. Also say if you will be the one who is responsible for that piece of work, that is: the one who sees that it gets completed (not necessarily the one who does all the work alone, you can count on the team and the community to support you). If you instead only want to contribute to a task (like e.g. making graphics for it) you can coordinate with the one responsible.
Till now, I had my hands in too many things as the coordinator that's why I aim to have each responsible persons as coordinators for the different tasks which do the coordination (if there are more than 1 people involved for this task ;-)) in their team.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-04-11 22:48 Edited 2010-07-31 14:51

Tutorials

Coordination: Sven2

There will be three tutorials which explain the basic controls, usage of items, backpack and crew control. For later releases, these will be kept while new stuff (vehicle control, inventory control etc.) will be explained in the successive tutorials.

Related stuff:

• A pointing arrow which can point to GUI- and landscape-positions is needed done

• optional: query key names (for tutorials)

Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-04-11 22:57 Edited 2010-04-11 23:00

1st Tutorial

Coordination: Sven2
Essential for release

In this tutorial, the jump and run controls are explained - with climbing, hangling, throwing (flints), swimming and diving, digging with a shovel and probably building loam bridges. It's something like an idiot-proof parkour.

• Should be not so short

• Idiot proofing: Flints respawn, shovel not throwable, loam respawns, Clonk can respawn/is invinvible

• Should have a little bit of a theme and a goal. Idea for a theme/goal: follow the butterfly

• Explanations via MessageBox

Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-04-13 21:09
Do we need here a butterfly model? I have already a lowpoly one. The one I put in Targets.c4s. If it is used, I can perhaps improve it a bit.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-04-27 16:18
It's being used a decoration for Tutorial 3 right now. Also, as suggested it should probably only have 2 quads. The player never sees the butterfly's body anyways. Newton also wanted the butterfly to not fly completely parallel with the screen, so you can see more than 1 wing at a time.
Parent - Date 2010-04-14 07:09
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-04-11 23:06

2nd Tutorial

Coordination: Maikel
Essential for release

In this tutorial, crew selection, backpack control and a few tools (dynamite/box, grappling hook) will be explained. Optionally also the cannon/catapult if it gets completed before the release (which is optional).
A possible goal of this scenario would be to rescue a trapped clonk that is somewhere else with another clonk. Perhaps also: switching between clonks not only at scenario start. This scenario should also be relatively idiot-proof and be more than a pure explanation.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-04-11 23:11 Edited 2010-04-24 18:41

3rd Tutorial

Coordination: Ringwaul
Essential for release

This tutorial will explain some (ranged) weapons and basically be a little bit of a target practice. This will be the target practice scenario from Tests.c4f but improved, with a goal, explanation and also perhaps practice for the javelin.

• Idiot proofing: Unlimited ammo

• Idea: Show one target after the other (order by difficulty)

• At the start, the player could also only use the javelins and later get to an area where there is a bow

• Goal: Shoot all targets

Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-04-24 18:41
I'll coordinate this task and also start working on it.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2010-04-21 14:13
I have committed some objects with (more or less) placeholder graphics:

planet\Tutorial.c4f\Tutorial01.c4s\TutorialArrow.c4d - should be replaced with a larger arrow; possibly animated
planet\Tutorial.c4f\Tutorial01.c4s\TutorialGoal.c4d - Even though I sketched the super cool Clonk baby here, it doesn't fit all that well ;). Maybe a small Clonk in front of a whiteboard? Maybe a book? A Clonk reading a book?
planet\Tutorial.c4f\Tutorial01.c4s\MenuDeco.c4d\Portrait1.png - The tutorial speaker. I think Randrian's mystic icon would fit well here. Can I use it?
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2010-04-21 18:13
Can you move those helper objects to the tutorial folder, so that I can use them in the other tutorials?

>planet\Tutorial.c4f\Tutorial01.c4s\MenuDeco.c4d\Portrait1.png - The tutorial speaker. I think Randrian's mystic icon would fit well here. Can I use it?

I would prefer a clonk looking like a professor, like in professor Oak in pokemon (*ashamed* for knowing him).
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-04-21 21:59
[x] portrait of Sven2 (dressed like a professor - that'd be awesome) :-)

I like the idea of having actual developer (in different exaggerated gestures) heads explaining the controls.
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-04-21 21:28
You may use it if you like. But I can also have a try on a professor. But I think I have things to do with higher priority. So say so, if you really want one.
(If I model a professor or something like that we could even think about animated portraits...)
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2010-04-21 21:34
I guess I could take a Clonk and put some glasses and white hair on top. No need to render here :)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-04-13 11:31 Edited 2010-07-31 15:10

Melee Weapons

Coordination: Zapper
Essential for release

Including sword, club and shield for starters. The hammer is optional. (This doesn't mean that all that work is "reserved" for Zapper, just coordinate yourself with him if you want to do parts of that rather large task cause he is doing the weapon base object. This applies for all other tasks too btw.).

• Animation(s)/effects/sounds for striking/blocking

• A general library which simplifies/helps the making of a melee weapon if needed

• (new) graphics for the club

• balancing/testing

Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-04-13 21:05
Well, here I need a bit more feedback on what animations are actually required. Zapper?
Parent - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-07-11 10:54
I still haven''t got proper feedback from Zapper, what animations he needs and what he plans to do with the weapons.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-04-13 11:48 Edited 2010-07-31 15:11

Grappler crossbow

Coordination: Maikel
Essential for release
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-04-13 21:07 Edited 2010-04-14 13:35
I would like to help here. If you want I can implement here the rope physicals I have done already for the rope ladder.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2010-04-14 07:44
The grappling bow is already scripted. But you are free to change the rope physics I implemented, if you don't like them. Apart from some minor glitches I think they are quite good.
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-05-01 07:53
The rope physics have turned out to be not a good idea to implement before the release. So I give the responsibility over the grappler back to you and won't touch the rope physics again before the release.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-05-01 19:09
As I said in the bugtracker, what is so wrong with your rope physics? There are very likely more bugs in the LINE rope implementation than your physics implementation. (ie: sticking on edges, rope constantly breaking, auto-disconnecting rope if you shot it in the air and it connected to landscape after you landed, being able to drop the grappler and staying connected to the rope [very possibly game breaking!], etc. etc.,).
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-05-01 19:43
In addition to Ringwaul's statements: there is also a very unliked implementation issue concerning grappler rope length. I suppose the hook should automatically return to its base if it could not hit anything after some time flying (otherwise we sometimes have some really bizarre consequences).
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-05-14 15:15
There are still some issues with the grappler crossbow. Should I post them into the bugtracker or do you have the overview, Maikel?
Parent - By Maikel Date 2010-05-17 22:40
Yes post them there, I lost track after randrian's revision.

Btw: Back from my 5-day holiday.
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-07-11 11:04
Well, what is the actual state of the grappler? I haven't heard much from it lately. Which rope physics do we actually want to use? (Line physics as Maikel made them or particle like I tried to make some time ago). What has still to be done?
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-07-11 18:42
Currently the ControlUse*() functions seem to have many bugs (ie: immediately shooting in the wrong direction on ControlUseStart() ). I was confused why you backed out your much better rope physics, when as I said in the bugtracker, the line implementation had just as many (if not more) bugs, much of which arise simply due to the fact that they use Lines (getting stuck on edges repeatedly... etc.).

I think it's a general consensus that your rope physics are the preferred option; I had assumed you were waiting until release 2 to perfect them.
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-07-16 18:32
Well, I just had the impression, that nothing has happend to the grappler since my revert. So I just wanted to know what we will do about it for the release.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2010-07-16 18:44
I am sorry to reply so late, but I overlooked your previous post :(

I am in favour of the physics you implemented. Since we want to have it any ways and it has fewer bugs/glitches than my implementation. The only argument not the implement it already, is the coming of the release by Newton. Since the release requires still quite an amount of work on other areas I think we are safe to revert your revert and cure the bugs that come up before the release.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-07-16 21:42
ack, btw. The revert was a result of some kind of misunderstanding anyway, I think. I asked Randrian to first fix bugs in the stuff he already introduced before he introduces even more experimental features in the future. Then, he reverted the changes he made to climbing and the rope.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-04-13 12:06

Vehicles

Some vehicles (catapult, cannon, gatling gun) can be included into the release. However, this is optional.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-04-13 12:13 Edited 2010-04-13 12:16

Catapult

Coordination: N/A
Optional for release
  • Catapults any object in the clonk's inventory (so, also in the backpack), selectable with ring menu

• Can also catapult the clonk (less far(?)), e.g. by grab->up to take seat in the catapult, then shoot normally

• If trajectory preview should be implemented/used can be tested

• Graphics
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-04-13 12:15 Edited 2010-07-11 11:20

Cannon

Optional for release
  • Shoots any object in the clonk's inventory (so, also in the backpack), selectable with ring menu. Or: Perhaps just special cannonball ammo.

• If trajectory preview should be implemented/used can be tested

• Graphics
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-06-08 08:21
I've implemented the base object. It's missing trajectory view, and it currently can shoot any object which is of the C4D_Object category (subject to change of course). Anyways, you gents can test that, I'm going to bed... >_<
Parent - - By B_E [de] Date 2010-06-08 18:05
I once built one for CR, using the M&M trajectory, if this helps.
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-06-08 21:06
I tried to make the M&M trajectory to be general, but if you/someone needs help with it, feel free to ask me.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-06-10 03:40
So, is it frowned upon that I copy+pasted your trajectory object from M&M? It's all modified to OC syntax and whatnot. Got it working with the cannon, too. Just wanted to make sure the M&M team wouldn't shoot me at dawn for doing such a thing before pushing the patch. ;)
Parent - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-06-11 13:46
I made it for M&M and you may use it for OC.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-04-13 12:18

Gatling gun

Optional for release

• Shoots leadballs (the musket ammo) considerably faster than the musket

• Graphics

Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-04-13 23:22

>Graphics

As I've mentioned, the gatling gun needs a texture. If someone plans to create the gatling gun, texturing it will be my priority.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-04-13 12:24 Edited 2010-07-11 11:21

Floating balloon

Optional for release

(Magical) balloon with that the clonk falls slower when activated. Missing are graphics+script. Currently under development.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-04-28 03:11
I've created an alpha version. It's mostly playable, but I'm still working out the bugs.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-04-13 12:42

Backpack HUD display

Coordination: Newton
Optional for release

The backpack shall be displayed (in the lower left corner of) the HUD with the contents grouped around a nice and big backpack icon in a circle. Left of the two hand slots. This should improve usability of the backpack ringmenu since the player already knows where in the backpack the items are.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-04-13 17:36 Edited 2010-04-13 17:44

Scenarios

Essential for release

For the release, we want a few high-quality scenarios rather than a bunch of mediocre scenarios. [In plain text, it means that most parkours that are now in the repository will not be part of the release (except if the landscapes are used in some other interesting scenario)] as long as there is not done anything to make also the gameplay different and interesting. There is no need to put the few scenarios we will release in a folder.

These shall be (at least):

• Guardians of the Windmills (done)

• Some variation of Kamikaze Fireworks aka boomrace

• More classical parkour(s) with loam, flints, and shovel - e.g. The cavern

• Some melee (last man standing/deathmatch) round in which most weapons come into use

Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-04-13 17:42 Edited 2010-04-13 17:47

Kamikaze Cowboys

Coordination: Newton
Essential for release

• more "dangerous" looking landscape: e.g. Rock an lava

• optionally a dynamic landscape

• (explanation of the usage of a boompack at scenario start?)
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-05-14 15:27
Currently I don't have time for this. If anyone would like to do it (especially: dynamic landscape) then I'd be glad! :-)
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-04-13 17:47

More Scenarios...

Essential for release

Since creating scenarios is a creative process, deciding about the content or even the theme of scenarios to include at dev meetings seems to be very hard. We didn't get to more specific scenario ideas. If you have any concrete plans, post them here to find people who help you finish it.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-04-18 23:15

Decoration

Optional for release

...and effects. Including plants, bushes, moss, grass(es), ruins and remnants, clouds, stuff like that.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-04-13 17:59

GUI graphics

Coordination: Sven(?)
Essential for release

• Till the release, we want to get rid of the grey menu backgrounds in the GUI. Sven2 has suggested using scenario screen-shots (with some filters applied) for menu backgrounds. This can be seen as an intermediate solution (or also: not) but since it is relatively fast to do and brings a big graphical improvement with it, we will do it like this.

• GUI element graphics - we also need graphics for buttons, scrollbars, checkboxes and so on as well as menu frame graphics, upper board graphics etc.

• The CLONK logo needs to be redone!
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2010-04-14 14:51
If you have one or more screenshots to be used as backdrops for our first version, please post them here. Remember to licence them properly (under CC or compatible); otherwise, they cannot be used.
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / Tasks for the release
1 2 Previous Next