Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Mouse cursors
- - By Günther [de] Date 2010-12-29 23:16
There currently are some bugs in the mouse cursor code regarding the small/medium/large feature, and I'm wondering whether it's worth to investigate this or simply throw the feature out and maybe downscale a larger cursor image with the GPU. Also, do we still need all those different cursors?
Parent - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2010-12-29 23:53
I'd suggest to try out how a downscaled cursor actually looks like in game and if it's good enough then do that.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-12-30 20:26
IMO it could be thrown out and replaced by a cursor of standard size. All those other cursors can be thrown out too so we actually have just one cursor left.
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2010-12-30 22:27
Still used are the arrow, the +, the x (outside the landscape), and the scroll indicators. Conceptually, it'd be nice if the mouse cursor indicated which mouse options you have - click, click and hold, rightclick, rightclick and hold - either directly or indirectly. Though right now I don't have a better idea on how to do that than displaying the items next to the mouse cursor.

Sigh, it would have been nice if whoever made all that code obsolete removed it instead of leaving it laying around.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-01-01 18:34

> Conceptually, it'd be nice if the mouse cursor indicated which mouse options you have - click, click and hold, rightclick, rightclick and hold - either directly or indirectly. Though right now I don't have a better idea on how to do that than displaying the items next to the mouse cursor.

This is impossible to do without a new callback for every item that can be used. I think it is not worth it to expand the interface for this feature. I can't think of any good way to display that information (on the mouse cursor) either. Sven and me were playing with the thought that items can actually define their own cursor image during usage but abolished that idea as being not worth the effort. I think displaying a crosshair just as the normal cursor is the best solution.

> Still used are the arrow, the +, the x (outside the landscape), and the scroll indicators.

Hm right, the scroll indicators. But everything except that could be removed: x outside the landscape is not that important, it can also be just the normal mouse cursor. The + is probably used while dragging - it could also be replaced by the normal mouse cursor.
Parent - By Günther [de] Date 2011-01-01 21:35
Simply sticking a miniature version of the object's pictures to the left and right of the mouse cursor wouldn't be that much effort.

> x outside the landscape is not that important

Right, you actually can click outside the landscape now and the Clonk will react.

> The + is probably used while dragging - it could also be replaced by the normal mouse cursor.

I meant the cross-hair cursor. Using the cross-hair cursor for the landscape and the arrow cursor for GUI elements would make sense to emphasize the difference between GUI and landscape. At the moment, only the menus seem to be missing the arrow cursor. Oh, and dragging your inventory into the landscape uses yet another cursor. Changing the cursor while you are dragging (as opposed to just holding your mouse cursor down after the Clonk threw the rock away) would also be nice.
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Mouse cursors