Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Clonk into Debian packages?
- - By Newton [de] Date 2011-08-23 12:42 Edited 2011-08-23 12:45
Hey, for those who don't regularly visit #openclonk-dev, pkern, a friend of Clonk-Karl has been scouting out what has to be done that OpenClonk confirms to the Debian Free Software Guidelines. When this is given, OC might be included into the official debian repository (making it appear also in Ubuntu and other Debian derivates), installable directly in the package manager with one click. I think this would get OC quite a lot attention in the open source community so this is definitely something that we should focus on.

I am posting this here because OpenClonk does currently NOT confirm to the DFSG. pkern found a some issues so far with the licenses for a few images (see bugtracker) , namely currently the snow1 texture and the Clouds1 texture.

Also, the CC Sampling+ license does not confirm to the DFSG. Depending on how many sounds are actually affected on how big the effort would be to find similar sounds that are licensed under CC-by 3.0. (see bugtracker)
It was already suggested to leave out the sounds that don't confirm with DFSG out of the debian package and supply a separate package in nonfree to add the sounds.
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2011-08-23 13:10

> supply a separate package in nonfree to add the sounds.

Well. Or we could simply have the whole package in nonfree?

(Stallman talk today... Have to remember running when he breaks out the katanas.)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-08-31 14:19 Edited 2011-08-31 14:28
More license problems:

The Sky.jpg in Windmill.ocs uses
http://www.flickr.com/photos/redeye-/4400185141/sizes/l/
which doesn't allow derivates. I thought I asked redeye (the author) personally via mail for permission (under CC-BY 3.0) if the license didn't confirm to either CC-BY or CC-BY-SA but can't find any email now. If I click on the mail-icon on his profile page, it takes me to yahoo login page - I guess one can only send him an email via yahoo mail.

Who has an email account on yahoo? Can that someone ask him kindly for permission to use it under the CC-BY or CC-BY-SA license for our project? Otherwise we will have to take this cool picture out - and this would be pretty much work as it is not only the background picture of that scenario but also part of the background picture of about any menu background right now :-(

Sky.jpg in ShiverPeak
just says it is from flickr.com from Rick Smit. License information is missing. However, under the name of "Rick Smit", I can only find pictures of his dog Oscar, no winter mountains. Ringwaul? You committed this, do you remember where you got this from exactly and what was the license?
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-09-01 04:17
As I recall, I got the Sky.jpg for ShiverPeak from flickr's Creative Commons section, but I don't remember the exact license. Strangely, I can't seem to find it either. I did find what seems to be a lower-res version using TinEye, but I can't find the page source. It just links to some french blog instead of the flickr page it can be found on. :(

By the way, I do own a yahoo email account. However, you can also email via Gmail or Facebook (I use flickr via gmail; my yahoo account is only used for yahoo answers ^^).
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-09-01 14:01
That would be great.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-09-08 08:04
Ok, I've sent a message. Will notify immediately upon receiving a reply.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-08-31 16:17 Edited 2011-09-04 21:35
Missing license info:
A few sound files don't have any license or author info. Most of those have been committed by Ringwaul or Mimmo. For now, I put them as the authors. Guys, if you didn't craete the sounds by yourself, please fill in who made it and under which license:

Objects.ocd\Structures.ocd\Chest.ocd\* - Ringwaul
BackToTheRocks.ocf\ThunderousSkies.ocs\Scrolls.ocd\FireballScroll.ocd\Fireball.ogg, BackToTheRocks.ocf\Overcast.ocs\Scrolls.ocd\FireballScroll.ocd\Fireball.ogg,BackToTheRocks.ocf\FrozenFortress.ocs\Scrolls.ocd\Frostbolt.ocd\Fireball.ogg - MimmoO
Objects.ocd\Items.ocd\Tools.ocd\JarOfWinds.ocd\* - Ringwaul
BackToTheRocks.ocf\Hideout.ocs\LifeGem.ocd\Breathing.wav - Zapper
Objects.ocd\Items.ocd\Tools.ocd\Pickaxe.ocd\Clang* - Ringwaul
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-08-31 16:32

>BackToTheRocks.ocf\Hideout.ocs\LifeGem.ocd\Breathing.wav - Zapper

What license do you need? CC-by 3.0?
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-08-31 17:27
CC-BY or CC-BY-SA is fine
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2011-08-31 19:28
Since I am the author I hereby license the file BackToTheRocks.ocf\Hideout.ocs\LifeGem.ocd\Breathing.wav (the one I comitted) under the CC-BY license.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-09-01 04:19
Everything in that list marked from Ringwaul was indeed created by myself (so all under the default CC-BY-3.0 license I reckon).
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2011-09-09 13:18
There is a problem with this sound file:
http://www.freesound.org/people/McFex/sounds/104303/

See the comments, he is actually not the author of the sound file that is why he can't issue this under the CC BY license (or any other). Ringwaul, could you look for another electrical sound? (Or perhaps for the original sound on youtube and ask the author but I didn't find it there after searching for some time)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-09-09 13:33
Also, MimmoO, why is there a second StoneDoor.ocd in Boomshire? Anything special with that?
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2011-09-09 13:55
I added that because it needs to be width 10.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2011-09-09 15:14
ok, I see
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2011-09-13 01:55
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2011-09-13 09:14
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2011-09-13 11:33
Hm. I feel confirmed in calling for a hypothetical OCCAN to offer a selection of CC licences instead of baking our own. Funny that in the meantime the CC website has implemented pretty much exactly the license chooser I had in mind :)
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Clonk into Debian packages?