Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / General / OpenClonk Editor using AutoIt
- - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-02-14 03:52 Edited 2012-06-05 02:10
I started a little fun project: Rebuilding the old clonk editor in AutoIt.

I encountered some people who disliked not having the old editor to develop. Although I myself use only the windows explorer and a .bat script, I understand the want for such a tool.

It's scripted in AutoIt, so yeah, Windows only. I'd like to see if it runs smoothly on XP, Vista and Win7 32bit.

Have fun!

Click here for latest version
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-02-14 09:31
Interesting, but I am not sure how useful that will be :)
For developers, eclipse is a lot more powerful. And for pure players something like the Clonk3 scenario attribute editor would probably be sufficient, too. Especially if it was integrated directly into the engine!
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-02-14 12:41

> For developers, eclipse is a lot more powerful

Yes, I proposed that to everyone but it was too complicated. I will have a look at eclipse and see if some kind of merging is possible.

> And for pure players something like the Clonk3 scenario attribute editor would probably be sufficient, too.

That's planned ;)
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-02-14 14:19

>That's planned ;)

Directly in the full screen GUI I mean!
Parent - - By boni [at] Date 2012-02-14 20:11
Which kinda reminds me.. are there any plans for a MODULAR scenario system? Because as it is with CR, you can't use any additional Objects from CCAN or selfmade in a scenario without altering it.
What I'm talking about would be a Scenario just is the setup, but you can activate compatible objects and they'll be integrated into the scenario (by giving plans to the players, or making them researchable). Every object(pack) could have "Tags" for beeing compatible with scenarios. :I
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-02-14 20:26

>are there any plans for a MODULAR scenario system?

Plans beyond "Hey, that would be cool and I know how it should work if anyone would build it"? Nope :)
Parent - - By boni [at] Date 2012-02-14 20:29
Remember me not to be so lazy and make a thread about it at some point.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-02-14 20:32
Could I also remember you to implement it?
Parent - - By Gurkenglas [de] Date 2012-02-21 13:42
Requested that for years now. My proposal is being able to include a set of rules into a scenario that can be turned on/off like FairCrew, via the lobby or scenario selection.
Parent - - By boni [at] Date 2012-02-21 13:51
Not modular enough. I'm not talking about activating stuff like predefined rules (although it'd include those) but enabling third party obects etc.
Take the old knights pack for example. You want to enable the castle-sawmill you downloaded from CCAN in $Scenario, but you can't without changing it. That's what I'm talking about.
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2012-02-21 14:18
The way it works in CR would be that  the sawmill append itself into CPPL (castle plans) and you would automatically learn it in castle scenarios. For objects that don't register themselves anywhere, you would just activate the definition and research the plan in the research lab.

It's not as cool as having it automatically (e.g.: You activate the berry bush definition, and all bushes now have berries). But that's not because the engine functionality weren't there. It's because very few objects take care of integrating themselves into existing scenarios. I don't see why that would change for OC.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2012-02-21 14:22
...and by the way: "Open" scenarios (that allow activating more definitions) can set the flag "AllowUserChange" in [Definitions] in Scenario.txt. When you start the scenario, a dialog pops up asking you for extra definitions to activate.

This feature is used in scenarios like IDQuest.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-02-21 18:17
I bet you didn't document that feature!
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2012-02-21 18:50
Neither did you!
Parent - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2012-02-14 16:17

>I encountered some people who disliked not having the old editor to develop.

!
Parent - - By KKenny [de] Date 2012-02-14 19:14
Awesome! Didn't really get into that whole eclipse thingie.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-02-14 20:09
Because you are lazy!
Parent - By KKenny [de] Date 2012-02-14 22:11
Lies!
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2012-02-15 13:10
Reply: Maybe because it didn't work? Oh, and, did I mention that eclipse is a fat hog?
Parent - - By boni [at] Date 2012-02-15 15:19
Nah, Kenny is just lazy.
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2012-02-15 18:46
My Eclipse is broken. Kenny is lazy.
- - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-02-14 16:52
Not at the top most position of the TODO list but I actually found a wrapper for the Irrlicht engine in AutoIt. So, basically a quick mesh preview is possible:

Parent - - By ST-DDT [de] Date 2012-02-15 16:45
Nice work

the new objectcreator (DefCore/ActMap Editor) should be like CRTools.
This helps a lot creating new stuff.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-02-15 18:24
I will include a scenario creation tool but I'm not sure if a defcore tool is a good idea. DefCores are pretty easy to understand and easy to write. The only real hassle is that people keep forgetting the names of all possible flags but hey, why not open the documentation in the background and keep track. I don't want to put in the effort to create hundreds of checkboxes if afterwards people keep writing defcores themselves.
The only thing worth the effort is a vertex tool I guess. That may be difficult with meshes, I don't know yet.

ActMap editor is more of a hassle since this moved to the script and again things like live preview of animations could be very difficult. Well, this is future stuff, I will at first see to get the file handling to work properly.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-05-25 11:24
That IS quite nice. But why not put the preview into the preview/picture field on the right?
Parent - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-05-25 13:47
Yes, that would be nice. Back then I just quickly implemented the lib I found. It's a bit tricky though because that is just running an instance of the engine which then creates the new window on its own. I'm not sure yet how much communication with the engine is possible. The easiest way to embed it would be if Windows would be capable of embedding a window into another.
- - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-02-21 05:03 Edited 2012-05-24 17:42
Okay, let's get this started with the first version: v0.1 Alpha!
Stresstest for anyone who wants to use it. Feedback if starting the program worked fine is appreciated.

OUTDATED
Parent - By KKenny [de] Date 2012-05-12 16:40
(A little late though)

>Feedback if starting the program worked fine is appreciated.

Worked just fine for me.
I'm looking forward to a fully working version :)
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-05-13 19:29
I made an icon for myself a while back to differentiate between the release shortcut and branch-tip shortcut on my desktop.
You can use it for your editor if you want. :)

I hereby license the file Editor.ico under the CC-BY license
Attachment: Editor.ico (122k)
Parent - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-05-13 20:26
Ah, nice :)
- - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-05-24 17:38 Edited 2012-06-05 02:09
v0.5 Alpha

OUTDATED
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-05-25 11:26
Are you planning to put this under any OS license? Then you could put it on bitbucket or github.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-05-25 13:40 Edited 2012-05-25 13:48
The code is under ISC, the rest CC BY, except for the button icons, these arew CC BY SA. Isn't that free enough? ;)

The main problem are third party scripts. These are taken from the autoit forums and there is no common agreement on what license they use. The only agreement is that "you are allowed to take the code" that was given away freely on the forum.  Stripping third party stuff from the editor would render it unusable.
- By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-06-05 02:08
v0.6 Beta

Now beta! I would say you can start working with his if you want to. I received no feedbacks on any bugs, so either it's bug free (which I doubt!) or not thoroughly tested (more likely). So beware, backup your work.
Still the same: You need writing rights in your OpenClonk directory.

Installation:
Put the files anywhere you want. Be sure to have writing rights in the directory of the Editor. First setup is done on startup, specify your OC directory and the executable.

Changes:
- Creation on / Dragging to top level is now possible.
- Resorting after movement/creation/renaming operation.
- Fixed a bug that deletion of non-empty directories was not possible.
- Fixed copying files (were moved instead).
- Rearranged button area, smaller buttons, less space consuming.
- Included %AppData%\OpenClonk\ in an extra tree view item (always on top). Editing files in there is totally possible!
- Quick Edit for any text files.
- Scenario editor.

File explorer handling is finished now. Big two new features: Quick Edit and Scenario Editor.
Quick Edit means that you can edit text files inside the editor without the need of a third program. Quick Edit is very basic, so no syntax highlighting or similar eyecandy features.
The Scenario Editor is a simple GUI for basic design of a scenario. It's due to big changes because of everything I mentioned here: http://forum.openclonk.org/topic_show.pl?tid=2455. I won't recommend using it on existing scenarios though because it overrides any values it does not know. I will probably see to change that in the future.

Hotkeys:
CTRL+N - New file
CTRL+X - Cut
CTRL+C - Copy
CTRL+V - Paste
Delete - Delete file
F2 - Rename
F5 - Refresh file tree
CTRL+Space - Run
CTRL+Z - Quick Edit undo
CTRL+Y - Quick Edit redo
CTRL+S - Quick Edit save

Known bugs:
- Objects.ocd isn't protected. If you edit it, it's edited. You won't be able to join network games with edited Objects.ocd!
- It's not possible to drag'n'drop objects into the view window of the engine with OC v2.2.0. Isilkor fixed this in eb568b1771ac, so it works with the latest dev snapshot.
- The Quick Edit button does not show the icon. It's hard to spot because of this. It's here:

Limitations in comparison to CR's editor:
- Externally edited files are not refreshed in the file preview until reselected. It's not planned to change this in the future because I think the cost-benefit ratio is poor.
- You cannot select custom object packs to be loaded. Although the editor is capable of doing so, the feature is disabled because of no engine support. You need to specify [Definitions]. No intention to reenable the feature for lack of engine support.
- The editor cannot open packed files. You need to unpack everything in order to see / edit the files. It's not planned to change this in the future.

TODO:
- Protect original files (Objects.ocd, ...)
- Work in AppData if OC dir is readonly
- Maybe more fancy editors (landscape, material)
- Include the mesh viewer

Files:
Editor.zip - The compiled program
Source.zip - All source files needed to compile the editor, starting point: main.au3
Attachment: Editor.zip (963k)
Up Topic General / General / OpenClonk Editor using AutoIt