Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Animal]ZappersBelowgroundKIbeastHeDoesNotWantAnymore!
- - By pluto [ch] Date 2013-05-30 23:58 Edited 2013-05-31 00:13
As already a bit discussed here: First thoughts about a fitting (hostile) AI animal I've started to create an animal, more or less based on the idea of mine already postet in the thread above or directly here
It shall become small enough that it can move without problems trough a rough OpenClonk-like landscape by walking and jumping but as well as by digging, scaling and "hangeling".

First thoughts about domesticate this thing were posted there already as well. The ideas reach from using this animal for riding (and by that gain combat benefits)over economic possibility as source for resources like milk, meat or/and wool to using it for transportation issus like a camel caravane (or simply more as decoration by towing a cart or lorry)

here now some first screenshots of the model.
Please comment or/and criticise!

Actually:

There are still some texture mistakes.

The color could be changed, too. Whats about differnt skin? colors: white, red/brown/black and yellowish for winter/polar, summer/temperate/jungle or desert season/mapstyles

I intentionally refrained adding eyes. Imagine this is a below-ground living animal, so it could be blind, or the eyes are  simply coverd by the mane. But actually I am not very satisfied with that. It still looks like there is sth. missing...like eyes.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2013-05-31 00:37
Reminds me a bit of a megatherium.
I have to say, I'd prefer some big rat more, because I still think Clonks are pretty small ;)

But anyways the model is ok I guess, imo it just doesn't look "cool enough", with the hunchback and the... pavian butt :S
Parent - By pluto [ch] Date 2013-05-31 09:41
I didn't know anything about this crazy animal. Very funny these ancient animals :D. By googleling I found som very funny pictures of this megatherium-thing.

What do you mean with "cool"?
the butt comes from these pose of the hind legs. They could be more dog-like, but that also would be more standard-like and so more "boring"
We already mentioned about greater hands. I tried it but then it only looks weird instead of intresting or cool.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-05-31 15:22
The big version looks cool. Concerning the color scheme, I'm a bit afraid that if you zoom out it will be mostly an uniform mash of pixels. But that remains to be seen.

Maybe it could get a differently colored mane (black/red/yellow/...) on top? In fact., the mane color could be made dynamic or in player color ;)

If you have a model ready, I can look at the scripting if you want. I haven't used model animations yet, but I guess I'll need to learn that eventually anyway.
Parent - By pluto [ch] Date 2013-05-31 16:36
Cool man!

>I'm a bit afraid that if you zoom out it will be mostly an uniform mash of pixels. But that remains to be seen.

You mean the texture is too detailed for using it ingame? Thats why I made the mane a bit darker. But yeah, I can try a two-color-version. Sounds nice.

And by the way: your offer to handle the scripting work is really really nice! Thank you.

What I am wondering at the moment: what is about a change from walking to scaling? Does it need a change-animation? It may look stupid if the animal changes from a horizonal to a vertical position?!
Parent - - By pluto [ch] Date 2013-06-03 23:19 Edited 2013-06-03 23:22
here "red"-yellow  and white-black combination. I also added some weak highlights and a countershading, but the effect is very low because most of the underside is covered by the legs.

maybe more saturated colors are more clonkish.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2013-06-04 18:21
The mane looks "cool"! ;)
I'd even go further and extend it all the way along it's back and maybe even make a tail out of it. And maybe some big pointy ears?
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2013-06-04 19:17
Good idea! I hope that this creature gets more cute when it is final so that it looks less like a monster from some ego shooter but an animal.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2013-06-04 20:26
Put even more hair on it and you almost have a Wipf ;)
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2013-06-04 21:40
What happend to the wipf anyways? I'm almost a bit terrified that we don't have a wipf as a tunnel-digging and ridable creature... :/
Parent - - By pluto [ch] Date 2013-06-04 22:20
because they are somehow boring :(
But yes the have the not-beeing-monster-like-but-beeing-cute-advantage.

The simple reason is, there was nobody, who modeled a wipf for OC, yet. That's what I guess?
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2013-06-04 22:29
There was a wipf once in the repo, but it was put on ice. :c
Parent - By pluto [ch] Date 2013-06-04 20:41
Is it necessary to design this "monster" more cute?

As I already said, big black friendly eyes could make this animal very effectivly very cute. I could try it.
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2013-06-04 20:55 Edited 2013-06-04 20:58
Doesn't need "cuteness", just less blurry and non-brown textures. I'm thinking a little bit of the Pokemon-Formula: bright, clear patches of colors on bodies with many distinct features. Mostly ends up looking cool.

Especially if this animal should be rare and/or useful, it shouldn't look too much like an "ego shooter monster" ;)

Edit: Actually, brown itself is not the problem.

It's rather the indistinct mix of brown colors.
Parent - - By pluto [ch] Date 2013-06-04 21:56

> maybe more saturated colors are more clonkish.

the "less blurry"-theory sounds good.
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2013-06-04 22:33
I made something like this some time ago (not clonk related):
It has clear patches of saturated color. Of course, for the slightly less cartoony openclonk, some hinting of fur would be missing from this.
Parent - - By pluto [ch] Date 2013-06-04 23:04
It is nice, but totally different. And I thought about a dog-style thing as well, but i simply found it to boring, so I threw these ideas away, for this first animal. I liked the "gorilla"-monkey-mixture more because i thought could be more challenging and more interesting, instead of beeing "mainstreamy". I thought about the negative side-effect that not everyone would like my idea. Apperantly it seems, that "not everyone" is a majority here so far ;-)

Maybe I should switch to some more common animal style.

But first I'll try a less blurry texture then, maybe adding some stripes could be cool too.
Parent - By Matthias [de] Date 2013-06-04 23:24
oh this wasnt about the animal in general. i just wanted to clarify what i meant with "brown, but not blurry".
Parent - By pluto [ch] Date 2013-06-04 20:38
Althought I do not very like the ear-idea, but I will try some different shapes and positions. Maybe it looks better than I actually imagine.

The tail is a good point. I was more thinking of sort of lion tail or similar ones. But I forsee some problems with animating it and I am afrait how it looks if the tail "stucks" in some material.
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2013-06-04 20:45
Burrowing animals would have some trouble with ears that pointy and big. The mane would also get in the way if they wanted to go backwards. Acutally, those features and it's physiology would be more fitting for forests, like a boar or something. It could still dig up food and stuff, but wouldn't live underground. What's its diet, anyways?
Parent - By pluto [ch] Date 2013-06-04 22:02
If this animal would only live in the underground, it would not have the ability of scaling, so of course it seems to become a generalist ;-). And thats what we want, isn't it. A thing wich looks fitting everywhere.
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2013-06-04 22:15

>What's its diet, anyways?

Maybe clonks? It's supposed to be hostile, after all. And how would one domesticate one of these things?
Parent - - By pluto [ch] Date 2013-06-04 22:49 Edited 2013-06-04 22:51
here the try with ears and eyes. It's kinda cute then. I would say.

maybe the face should become more rounder then. It is looking a bit like this poor thing crashed against a wall.
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2013-06-04 23:21
fixed
Parent - By pluto [ch] Date 2013-06-04 23:51 Edited 2013-06-04 23:58
Cool...

... but I do not really like the "hairstyle". I like a more fuzzy face instead of adding a beard and some hairs on top of "the head". I am thinking about two stripes over the eyes instead of divide the face using two colors

the eyes at the side a less cute but better due to the side view in clonk and instead of cute, they are more "cool". It is nice.
By adding eyes I would add nose-holes, too. Maybe only two dots, maybe some kind of "dog/cat-nose, depends on what is looking best.

Anyway, Thank you very much up to now.

Besides that What comes to my mind some minuits ago was the face of a sloth. Its somehow cool, relaxed funny and cute too.
A "cool/funny/cute face of a (baby?) sloth (btw in german: Faultier)
And by comparing both pictures, there are som similarities. e.g. the eye-distance. In addition this is a very good example what I mean with "more fuzzy face" But at least ingame and zoomed out the "fuzzyness does not really matter.
Parent - - By Anonymous [de] Date 2013-08-07 23:49
that's it now, dont mind the colors, they can be changed easily:
Parent - - By pluto [de] Date 2013-08-07 23:50 Edited 2013-08-07 23:53
Not as an Anomymus, of course...
some structure could come with some bumpmap?! using some kind of fur texture.
Parent - By Matthias [de] Date 2013-08-08 00:51
Yeah, that looks cool! I'd advise to check if the animations and the overall form and color work ingame now, before working on further texture detail.
Parent - - By Dragonclonk Date 2013-05-31 17:14
Maybe some countershading?
Parent - By pluto [ch] Date 2013-05-31 23:12
cool idea... and maybe matches the different colored mane pefectly.
Thanks \o/
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2013-06-01 08:56
why would underground animals be countershaded?
Parent - By Dragonclonk Date 2013-06-01 09:10
Because optically it looks more dynamic and a underground animal would also sometimes hit the daylight.
Parent - - By J. J. [py] Date 2013-06-04 00:59
Sorry if I am a bit of a critic but its front appendages look to small for scale and hangel animations. I don't know but it looks like it would be incapable of scaling and hangeling.
Parent - - By pluto [de] Date 2013-06-04 10:38
I do not agree:
there are lot of real existing animals which look clumsy or atlethic ,  which have tiny hands or big paws. Some have long and some have short arms.... Evolution often leads in multiple possibilities for similar things.
But to bring some examples of only the mammals: there are the very agile differnt kinds of wild cats, all these diffent monkeys. But besides that there is the clumsy brown bear or if this is not enough clumsy, the big panda bear.
that somtimes only big claws can be enough show the sloths with a very special clawshape, or loads of birds like treecreepers.

So I would say there is no general apperance which would allow to make the decision wether a animal is capable of scaling or not. I would agree with you more, if you would say the hands are too oversized. I do not know any animals with similar oversized paws, relativly to the total bodysize.

Maybe you cold discribe more detailed why you are thinking that the arms are to small. What do you mean? Are they to short? Are they to brawny?....
I mean the hands are part of the arm too. They do not have to be flat on the surface while scaling.
Parent - Date 2013-06-04 19:59
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Animal]ZappersBelowgroundKIbeastHeDoesNotWantAnymore!