Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Moderators and Invisibility
- - By Newton [vn] Date 2013-09-11 03:53 Edited 2013-09-11 15:36
Hi guys, here is your board.

If you would like to appoint moderator(s) for the artist's workshop, you can do that here. I wouldn't like if "everyone is a moderator" because in my experience, that doesn't work well. 1 or 2 should be enough, after all it is just one board.

Also, I see there was some disagreement about the playground board being invisible to all but the artists and OC devs. This is your board, so you can discuss and decide amongst yourself here what should happen with it from now on.  I think the most important thing is that you can work and feel comfortable with the solution.
Parent - By Newton [vn] Date 2013-09-11 04:01 Edited 2013-09-11 04:09
Those of you who are currently not in the Developers group should know that there is another invisible board in this forum. But it is only used for internal organization. Introductory text:

"This is an invisible board for internal coordination for you, the developer team. This may be used for internal organization that do not concern the public development such as the organization of the forum or the repository, to simply send a note to all developers, to plan an initiative in the community ... you get the idea.
Additionally, for some fundamental decisions, we want to limit the number of opinions to the people who really do the actual work on the project. (I think to post ideas and opinions in the forum is fine and can be encouraged but how it all looks in the end ultimately decides the one doing the work.)
With this board, we hope that initiatives can be planned here now instead of in some IRC query between two devs. Not everything should be discussed in public and to exclude the other devs is undesirable.

So that is what this board is about. A little platform where really intern discussions are held and decisions are made. And not more, actually. We still want to continue the open style of development because I think it turned out to be a very good idea: We already found a few motivated and skilled new developers and with that it is easy to overlook (lock, actually) the few flamewars, bickerings and off topic discussions which pop up from time to time.

As a consequence, please hold the discussions that can also be in the public boards in the public boards."

(The text was written in a time where still a lot of "Why isn't this in German" "I want to play with keyboard only" etc. people were running around here.) So, any development-related stuff is actually discussed in Developers Corner and it works quite well even though everyone can post there.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2013-09-11 14:44
The invisibility doesn't really make sense to me either. What exactly are we trying to accomplish with it? Have we actually had problems with too many people expressing opinions? Otherwise I can only see disadvantages.

The whole "where each object can have its own thread" idea sounds to me like it is more about maintaining a certain discussion structure and being able to track progress. Maybe we could achieve this more easily by having wiki pages or simply a more refined thread tagging scheme along the lines of "[Elevator Sketch - 80%]"?
Parent - - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2013-09-11 16:49
I think we should wait till the new structure is established, than make it visible.
Parent - - By Fungiform Date 2013-09-11 17:10
So is it invisible right now?

Who's gonna be moderator?
Parent - By Maikel Date 2013-09-11 17:30
Well all OC contributors with commit rights can also see this board, but won't interfere too much (apart from this post).
Parent - By Isilkor Date 2013-09-11 20:49
At the moment there's no moderators, save for ck and Newton who can moderate this by virtue of being forum admins. Devs can see (and evidently post) here, but we'll stay out of your business because let's be honest here, programmers don't have the slightest clue about graphics.
Parent - - By Newton [vn] Date 2013-09-12 03:22
Hmm, do you need your invisible forum moderated? If yes, I would suggest the same person(s) who moderate the artist's workshop.
Parent - By Fungiform Date 2013-09-12 10:23
sounds good.
- - By Fungiform Date 2013-09-13 16:12 Edited 2013-09-13 16:23
We should finally decide what function this sub forum should take.
For me it was not important to have a hidden forum, but to have a different structure that would accumulate all the information we gather/produce.
So for the start I think we should go with the structure Matthias proposed in some other thread. That is: one place for each building/object.

Edit: A difference to the art workshop should also be that there is not Fungiform's sawmill thread and someones else's sawmill thread but only one thread with different proposals and solutions for each development step.
Edit2: That seems the problem with the forum structure for the development process. There should be ONE place with an overview over different problems like energy distribution or resources.
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2013-09-13 16:27
Go ahead, I'm alright with public as well! It should just be noted that the art-people who are actually working on stuff might just ignore proposals like "Well I think this roof needs to be slanted 8° more to the left; Also, some gears should be added!!" at this point of development.
Parent - By Isilkor Date 2013-09-13 20:39
Just ignore all bikeshedding. It never leads to anything except wasted time.
Parent - - By Newton [vn] Date 2013-09-14 08:26
Okay, so you as the moderator for both boards, both boards are visible and writeable.

Before I do this, can you give me a name, description of the new board (this board) in one sentence (for the forum overview) and a longer description that is displayed at the top when looking into the board? The description should be clear for newcomers what this board is for and what for the other one is (so to avoid most of the people giving their 5 cents to internal conceptualization). You can also suggest to change the name and descriptions of the other board.
Parent - - By Nachtfalter Date 2013-09-18 16:34
I still think we should keep the invisible board for communication among the core-graphics team and all other stuff should be postet in the existing Art Workshop.
Otherwise it gets really confusing for newcomers.
Parent - - By Fungiform Date 2013-09-18 16:45 Edited 2013-09-18 16:57
As it turned out today the main problem seems to be that we still have nobody with moderator privileges.
Parent - - By Nachtfalter Date 2013-09-18 16:55
I thought someone was picked randomly(?)
I can do the job, if thats the problem :-)
Parent - - By Fungiform Date 2013-09-18 16:58
I thought so too and so did Matthias.. :D
I could do that to, that's not the problem.
Parent - - By Newton [vn] Date 2013-09-18 17:14
Well, you guys decide. But as you seem to be all the same about it, I would just promote Fungiform for that job for now since he seemed keen to do it.

Err, so could you do this, please?
Parent - By Fungiform Date 2013-09-18 17:24
Woohoo! Commander Keen... err, no.
Parent - By Newton [vn] Date 2013-09-18 17:25
Fungiform is now the moderator.
Parent - - By Newton [vn] Date 2013-09-17 04:11
Ping :-)
In two days I'm off to Laos. I have no idea if I will have an internet connection there like I have in civilized Viet Nam.
Parent - By Isilkor Date 2013-09-17 10:38
If you'll be in Laos for more than, say, a week, please consider giving admin to somebody besides ck and yourself so you aren't both incommunicado.
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Moderators and Invisibility