Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / General / Explosions too unpredictable?
- - By Pyrit Date 2013-10-10 22:16
It is always annoying when you try to mine some gems or whatever with dynamite and because of the random shapes the explosions have you miss that last tiny corner of the material you want to mine. Then you have to grab the pickaxe to get it away.
Even worse it is when you want to blast free an elevaror shaft. It is always a big fiddling around with the material left over by the explosions.

Looking at explosion craters on google images reveals that most of them are actually pretty perfectly round shapes.

The random shapes actually influence gameplay in a bad way (for me at least that seems so?). Any thoughts on this?
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2013-10-10 22:42
I agree that these explosions, while being a fun effect, are annoying gameplay wise.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-10-10 23:02
I enjoy the chunky explosions a lot. I think they should stay at least for firestones and meteorites.

Also, I made a suggestion for an explosion rework once here: http://bugs.openclonk.org/view.php?id=153

With this suggestion, you could have predictable explosions that have round craters if the materials are all the same or non-round craters if they differ.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-11-26 21:31

>I enjoy the chunky explosions a lot. I think they should stay at least for firestones and meteorites.

The new ExplosionEffect function has a smoothness parameter. If you want to change advanced explosives to use smoother explosions, now would be a good time!
Parent - - By Newton [la] Date 2013-10-11 10:19
I mainly introduced them in order to make the player's impact on the landscape fit more into landscape drawn by the scenario author, to make them look more organic. If you have a look at your own google image search, you will see that no craters are absolutely round.

Needless to say that I do like them and see not a gameplay problem with slightly random shapes. However, you could play a bit with the parameters of how not-round a explosion should be.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2013-10-11 10:37
We could add a parameter to the Explode function, which determines the shape/randomness. So that with more advanced explosives you have more control, this would make dynamite batter than firestones :)
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-10-11 11:12
I like that idea - it would actually make explosives differ in more than just the size of the boom. The particle effect should reflect that, of course! :)
Up Topic General / General / Explosions too unpredictable?