Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / General / wiki improvments: Content development with eclipse
- - By domtron [us] Date 2013-11-02 16:07 Edited 2013-11-03 19:28
I was looking over the eclipse content development guide. I get the feeling that the two tutorials and the FAQ could fit nicely into the main guide so instead of 5 pages there would be two: developing content with eclipse guide and the C4DT installation guide[no change]. It seems unprofessional/ungainly to have a number of pages with almost nothing on them like http://wiki.openclonk.org/w/Content_Developers_Guide and http://wiki.openclonk.org/w/Developing_Content_with_Eclipse . I know I prefer a guide to be on one page so I don't need to have a bunch of pages open. I can do the alteration myself, but since it's a major change I'm asking first. Any feedback? I'm currently working on this and can upload it to a temporary page if anyone wants to see what it would look like.

The guide would look like:
-introduction with a link to the installation guide.
-table of contents.
-Using C4DT editors
-Running scenarios.
-Inline FAQ's (which only has one answer/question; If we get some more of these we can move it back to it's own page)
-List of links to general content creation guides and tutorials and/or a link back to the Content Developers Guide main page.

This is part of a plan to improve and expand all the content creation wiki info.

Edit: here is the test page http://wiki.openclonk.org/w/Temporary_test_page_for_content_development_with_Eclipse . the images need some placement tweaking and the content probably needs to be revised a bit to have a good steady flow.
Parent - - By Newton [th] Date 2013-11-03 05:47 Edited 2013-11-03 05:54
It says that there is no text on that page. But otherwise I'd say, go ahead! There has never been put much thought into the structuring of the wiki pages, so there is much space for improvements. Just make sure to change any links to pages that you would delete in the restructuring. :-)

Regarding the FAQ: In my opinion the global FAQ should contain ALL q&a, if parts of the FAQ appear on some other page as well, thats fine

Also, keep in mind that the wiki will continue to grow, finding a structure that only fits for the content we have now but does not leave space for additions is suboptimal.

Also: Thank you very much for looking into improving the wiki, you will help a whole generation of newcomers to get into openclonk!
Parent - - By domtron [us] Date 2013-11-03 19:48
Sorry about the link, the sentence's period was included in the link for some reason it should be fixed now.

I made your changes about the FAQ but currently the FAQ page is called C4DT FAQ which is why I was going to integrate it into the eclipse guide. 

> Also, keep in mind that the wiki will continue to grow, finding a structure that only fits for the content we have now but does not leave space for additions is suboptimal.

I was thinking we could have a basics guide covering the anatomy(ocf ocd ect) of open clonk content. After that you decide which IDE(eclipse, ect) or application(blender, ect) you want to use and follow the guide which teaches you the basics of using that particular IDE and finally you go on to more generic tutorials/guides that more or less ignore the IDE and focus on content creation with the possibility of advanced guides/tutorials that are very specific.

> Thank you very much for looking into improving the wiki

I love doing documentation type stuff to a fault. :P
Parent - - By Newton [th] Date 2013-11-04 03:55

>I was thinking we could have a basics guide covering the anatomy(ocf ocd ect) of open clonk content.

Did you have a look at the openclonk docunlmentation? ( docs.openclonk.org ) Stuff like that should be in there. (If you missed it, that means that it is not advertised big enough on the wiki as it is quite big and quite important.
Parent - - By domtron [us] Date 2013-11-04 15:04
Ah, right I wasn't thinking of that when I wrote the post. So I would link to that instead of writing a guide. Speaking of which the page at http://docs.openclonk.org/en/sdk/files.html says each of the folders are compressed but on my system(linux) they are just folders with an extension(as far as I can tell).

BTW, The documentation was one of the first things I looked at so in my opinion it is very visible.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2013-11-04 15:12
In the repository these files are just folders, if you download a release they are packed with a program called c4group. You can unpack with that program, which is shipped with the development snapshots or can be compiled as well from the source.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-11-04 15:14

>says each of the folders are compressed but on my system(linux) they are just folders with an extension(as far as I can tell).

That's probably because you work with the development files and the repository (where the files need to be unpacked - colaborative work with zip archives would be a nightmare ;) ).
When you download a release version, the files are packed as described

From the page you linked:
Using the menu system, group files can be edited and/or converted to normal directories. Group file components can then be edited using common applications for text or graphics editing. Menu system and game engine can both load packed group files or unpacked directories directly.
Unpacking group files greatly increases speed while editing large or deeply nested groups.
Parent - By domtron [us] Date 2013-11-04 15:51
@Maikel, Zapper: ok, that explains it. Also explains why I couldn't open that one .ocs I downloaded from the player content forum.

Thanks.
Up Topic General / General / wiki improvments: Content development with eclipse