Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Packaging OpenClonk (c4group conflict)
- - By B_E [de] Date 2014-01-30 16:13
Hi all, this is not a problem directly related to OpenClonk as game, but more of an issue packaging it for a certain Linux distribution. Since we don't have an off topic board anymore, I figured I'd post it here.

I recently submitted an update to a so-called PKGBUILD to the public Arch Linux User Repository to work with OpenClonk 5.4.0, enabling users to quickly install the stable version. This works out fine so far, the only problem is that c4group is installed to /usr/bin/c4group, which conflicts with another PKGBUILD for Clonk Rage. I do think it makes sense to keep the binaries at the respective location of the distribution, but have any other packagers maybe got experience how this could be done with both games at once?
Does it make sense to create another package only for c4group which Clonk Rage and OpenClonk can depend upon, or are the version differences problematic? Should I agree with the other maintainer to keep the whole games in their own folders, similar to how the binary tarballs are published? I'd be really happy for any ideas or recommendations to enable users to keep both games on one system.

On a related note, am I able to tell OpenClonk where the game files are located? The game seems to only find them in /usr/share/games/openclonk, whereas the distribution usually would recommend using /usr/share/openclonk (if I don't go they way of putting binaries and game data in the same folder).
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2014-01-30 17:16
This has to work for OC4.0? For future versions, we could rename c4group to ocgroup.
Parent - - By B_E [de] Date 2014-01-31 10:33
It doesn't really - I just updated the package to 4.0 and realized the conflict, since I usually have the Clonk Rage package installed. Renaming it to ocgroup would solve the problem, since we dropped the .c4*-prefix (at least on the filesystem) anyway. I've added an entry to the bugtracker for discussion.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2014-01-31 10:50
Makes sense to do that change as well
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2014-01-30 17:47

> On a related note, am I able to tell OpenClonk where the game files are located? The game seems to only find them in /usr/share/games/openclonk, whereas the distribution usually would recommend using /usr/share/openclonk (if I don't go they way of putting binaries and game data in the same folder).

There is this snippet from CMakeLists.txt:

if(UNIX)
        # Don't put this into CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS because otherwise it is cached,
        # and when the path is changed both the old and new definition appears
        # in the list of flags.
        add_definitions("-DOC_SYSTEM_DATA_DIR=\"${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/share/games/openclonk\"")
endif()

So it does not seem to be easily configurable, but you could apply a distro-patch for Arch, changing the path. For the future we should maybe make this a cmake option.
Parent - By B_E [de] Date 2014-01-31 10:17
I've written a patch now, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Parent - - By Newton [th] Date 2014-01-31 06:12

> On a related note, am I able to tell OpenClonk where the game files are located? The game seems to only find them in /usr/share/games/openclonk, whereas the distribution usually would recommend using /usr/share/openclonk (if I don't go they way of putting binaries and game data in the same folder).

That is how it was before. We changed it on request by our Debian packager pkern. See bugtracker entry:
http://bugs.openclonk.org/view.php?id=834
Parent - By B_E [de] Date 2014-01-31 10:21
Interesting, it definitely makes sense to stick to the FHS from the openclonk perspective. I guess the Arch community isn't quite there yet, since I can't find any package adhering to that.
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Packaging OpenClonk (c4group conflict)