Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Music] Motorway (formerly another yet unnamed Song)
- - By K-Pone [de] Date 2014-03-16 22:45
Well, I've been a bit creative again and got another idea up and here's what I've done so far. Tell me if you like it.

I hereby license the file RockSongWIP.ogg under the CC-BY license

I hereby license the file RockSongWIPv2.ogg under the CC-BY license

I hereby license the file RockSongWIPv3.ogg under the CC-BY license

I hereby license the file RockSongWIPv4.ogg under the CC-BY license

I hereby license the file Motorway.ogg under the CC-BY license

I hereby license the file Motorway.mmpz under the CC-BY license
Attachment: RockSongWIP.ogg - Rock Song (Work in Progress) Version 1 (Old!) (1953k)
Attachment: RockSongWIPv2.ogg - Rock Song (Work in Progress) Version 2 (Old!) (3340k)
Attachment: RockSongWIPv3.ogg - Rock Song (Work in Progress) Version 3 (Old!) (3315k)
Attachment: RockSongWIPv4.ogg - Rock Song (Work in Progress) Version 4 (Old!) (3566k)
Attachment: Motorway.ogg - Motorway (Release version) (3564k)
Attachment: Motorway.mmpz - Motorway (LMMS Project File) (20k)
Parent - By ala [de] Date 2014-03-16 23:23
Nice Groove, I think this fits great. I like the Marimba :)
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2014-03-17 00:22
I like it :)
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2014-03-17 01:15
Really nice! I think it's even smoother than the reggae song and better suited for background music this way. Can you make sure that the volume levels match to the reggae song in your next update? I tried listening to both of them in a playlist, and the reggae song seemed much more shrill and sharp sounding in comparison - but I think it might be the different volumes after all?
Parent - By K-Pone [de] Date 2014-03-17 09:10
Yes, I'll do some adjustments and mastering work when the songs are finished.
Parent - - By Nachtfalter Date 2014-03-17 18:38
Great Stuff! Perfect music for a clonk title.

Looking forward to new tracks!
Parent - By K-Pone [de] Date 2014-03-17 18:46
I'll do some more when I get more good ideas for new songs.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2014-03-18 11:13
I also like both songs! Great work and an important addition to OC, finally some music we can actually put into the game.

I like the songs to end with a fade out rather than a bang, like you did in the reggae song, so that you can have more smooth transitions between songs ingame.
- - By K-Pone [de] Date 2014-03-17 23:10
Just uploaded an updated version of the Rock Song. Still unfinished, but tell me how you feel about the new part that begins around 1:45. I feel a bit like replacing it by something else, something better, but as of now I just can't think of anything that could fit in there better than the variation of the first verse also played with the Marimba. Just tell me what you think about it.
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2014-03-18 10:00
The repetition of the theme is fine (first few seconds after 1:45), but after that you really should introduce a new instrument (a flute could fit to the chilled atmosphere I think). Also the organ chord is now heavily overused.
Alternative if you don't want new instruments change the priority, marimba into the background hammering chords - and organ or bass could jump in for melody or solo.
Parent - By K-Pone [de] Date 2014-03-18 12:49

>but after that you really should introduce a new instrument

That's something I also thought about. I just had no idea which instrument I could use in the second part. After that part it might sound nice if the Marimba and the second instrument play the chorus as a duet.
- - By K-Pone [de] Date 2014-03-18 15:15
And I uploaded a new version again. This time I replaced the marimba in the second half of the song by a jazz guitar and also made another melody for it. I might replace the jazz guitar by a better guitar sound as soon as I find one. Also I made some changes to the drum parts.
Parent - By Nachtfalter Date 2014-03-18 15:55
I don't like the solo part of the new instrument at all. The rest is fine, maybe it's just too pushy?
Parent - By Matthias [de] Date 2014-03-18 22:21
I think that new instrument breaks it. I don't know about the melody this way, might be fine with another instrument.
- - By K-Pone [de] Date 2014-03-24 02:07
I just uploaded a new version of the song. Made some changes to the arrangement at the very end and also made some changes to the jazz guitar that plays in the second half of the song. I adjusted the equalizer a little bit to make it sounding a bit less dominating. Also I corrected the pitchbendings of the jazz guitar which previously might have sounded a bit unharmonic. If you agree with this version, I do some final changes and then release it to the repository.
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2014-03-25 13:53
I am not sure you fixed this, but I listened to #4 and at one point (about 3/4 of the way though) it sounded a bit jumbled. Great work, and I like your style.
- - By K-Pone [de] Date 2014-03-25 21:26
So, made the final adjustments and released the song now. As I still don't know how to push the files to the repository, could someone else do that for me again?
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2014-03-25 23:27
Schön gemacht./ Well done! :D
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2014-03-26 09:00
Consider that done. Thanks for your contribution again.

If someone disagrees with putting this in the repos please let me know, but I could not find any objections in this thread.
Parent - By K-Pone [de] Date 2014-03-26 15:40
Thanks
Parent - By Nachtfalter Date 2014-03-26 19:26
Nachtfalter approves!
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Music] Motorway (formerly another yet unnamed Song)