Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Music] Dim Lighted Cavern
- - By ala [de] Date 2014-04-29 16:36 Edited 2014-04-29 16:45
Finished orchestrating the second track from the underground section :)

Like last time, no focus on sound. Next I'll orchestrate an upper world track.
- the track ends on the the dominant for looping purposes. Also it's in a related key to the last cave track - they should go together well. In general most of the tracks I'll post have intros for now: If the project gets bigger, I'll plan to also add versions without the intros - this maybe good for a smoother fading and track switching experience in game.

Feedback, is welcome - also on the last track, sadly there was none ;)
Attachment: DimLightedCavern_v1.mp3 (6249k)
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2014-04-29 19:51
Hey, you compose some really good music :)

The start of the track is somehow pretty complicated. It took me until ~42 seconds until I really got into the song. Then it gets really catchy, and I like how it doesn't get repetitive but stays interesting.

I'd almost say it's too interesting for background music. There's something new and exciting almost every beat. Maybe you can stretch it a bit?

Keep up the great work!
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2014-04-29 20:19 Edited 2014-04-29 20:32
Thanks,

I'm not too sure, for one thing in a game you will hear the stuff over and over again. So maybe it works out fine being "too interesting" after some time? Yes this is a complicated track, probably a bit too sophisticated, but I could just make the following tracks simpler - and in the end the track mix would become a little richer in styles.

Hm, but simplifying is easier than adding stuff. Probably the guitar can be simplified a lot, without loosing much. The second idea I have is to kill the"call and response" between the two instruments in the melody in the second half, and simplify it too just one instrument. I'll have to try.

I have this somewhat simpler older version. How is this one?
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2014-04-29 21:29
Mmhh, the old one feels kinda dull in comparison. Maybe the variation isn't so bad after all; makes the song feel very alive.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2014-04-30 13:33
I like this one :) Haven't listened to the last one but will do so! Don't mind the 'too interesting' imho. I also like how you start with themes that could easily switch in the same scenario (not how we started, with 'fast hectic melee songs' and 'calm settlement songs'). I'd imagine something like an 'intelligent' music system (or, sorry, did you somewhere post a concept like that?) that changes from adove to below ground when the player starts running around subsurface for a longer time.

Now, something completely offtopic to this topic but stuff I wanted to ask anyhow. At the last gamejam I attended there was nice fella who did music for various teams. I got his card afterwards ([url=]www.quintenquanten.com[/url]) and was about to ask him to contribute music to OC. He was interested in getting work references. Seems like you and K-Pone are the leading music artists here, so do you guys mind?
Parent - By ala [de] Date 2014-04-30 14:05

> I'd imagine something like an 'intelligent' music system (or, sorry, did you somewhere post a concept like that?) that changes from adove to below ground when the player starts running around subsurface for a longer time.

I haven't so far. I have some thoughts, but no clear concept. I first wanted to have a relevant amount of tracks anyway. I know you guys are good with the technical stuff, so I'm not too worried there.

> Seems like you and K-Pone are the leading music artists here, so do you guys mind?

The opposite, I'd welcome it.
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2014-05-01 00:08
Music environment like in Minecraft would be cool.
In Minecraft the music doesn't play constantly, it's just one track every few minutes.
Parent - - By Tyron [at] Date 2014-04-30 20:25 Edited 2014-04-30 20:58
Just wondering, is the typo in the name on purpose? The correct wording would be "Dim Lit Cavern"

> Feedback, is welcome

- 2:40 is a bit short I find
- I find it plays a bit to slowly, it goes a bit too much into the direction of a lullaby i think
- The flute sound starting at 0:17 feels kinda bland, perhaps a more edgy flute like in Knights.c4f / Medieval Waltz.ogg?

Anyhow, it's awesome to see some players doing music for clonk!
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2014-04-30 20:32
And probably also "dimly"
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2014-04-30 20:51 Edited 2014-04-30 21:00
Oh :(, really? - "Schwach beleuchtete Hoehle"

lighted  adj.        beleuchtet
           lit  adj.        beleuchtet

Is what dict.leo says, sounds ok in my ears.
Parent - By Tyron [at] Date 2014-04-30 21:02
Oh, pardon. I didn't know it's correct. 'lit' however is more commonly used (http://i.stack.imgur.com/xSxH1.png).

I added some feedback to my comment.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2014-04-30 21:47
Fluff, I summon thee! Explain pls!
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2014-04-30 22:55
Nah, Fluff probably hasn't heard such complicated words outside his science class!
Parent - - By Fluff [gb] Date 2014-05-01 09:01
*Appears in a puff of wipf-fur*
Yeah, I'd say "Dimly-Lit Cavern".
Parent - By B_E [de] Date 2014-05-01 11:09
Indeed, sounds the most natural.
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Music] Dim Lighted Cavern