Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Some Feedback on Mine Rescue (stable)
- - By ala [de] Date 2014-07-20 21:11 Edited 2014-07-20 21:14
We (me, pluto, Kanibal) just played a round of mine rescue, and I fear I have negative but constructive feedback:

We played with the stable version, so perhaps some things are fixed by now:

-only the first player had starting tools, we couldn't dig nor chop nor build, and there was no tool workshop. I suggest to make starting tools, always for all players, and always buy able for a game start accident.
-I entered the hut, but couldn't do something there. Shortly after occurred a bug, my clonk always wanted to run to the left. I could make him stop via controls, but once I stopped pressing buttons he ran to the left, again and again, until he died in the abyss.
-Our windmill burned, but we had power nevertheless. So it was just decoration, but we got confused and tried to repair it.

-So I tried to build loam, to progress - since our grappling hooks couldn't reach the sky island to go over the abyss. But once I produced both buckets I noticed I couldn't pick earth with either one, both were for water.
It's kind of depressing, you don't know which technologies are available in a scenario. And you have to try and build for example a tool workshop (well we build it anyway) only too notice one bucket is missing. What's up with those 3 kinds of buckets anyway. Can this not be one? Would be so much easier.

-We build also the inventors lap and the chemistry lab, just to see which objects we can build. This is not so great, I'd really like to see this beforehand.
-So, Kanibal dug his way to a chest buried behind granite and water in the hope of getting something there. But it was either empty(?) or useless.

In the end, we got the idea with the catapult. And shooting clonks. However, since we had holes from exploding and digging, we couldn't transport the catapult anywhere.

By the way, awful catapult controls, I tried  grabbing it but was always getting the building behind. This was really confusing. So since we could not transport the catapult I shot pluto from the workshop position, and right into the abyss. This marks the end of our glory try. Mission failed.

P.S. clicking on end round in the dialog froze my computer.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2014-07-22 11:03
Thanks, I think most of the feedback is minor and should be fixed rather easily.

Maybe relaunches in that scenario are a good idea, since the catapult requires some training.

>I entered the hut, but couldn't do something there. Shortly after occurred a bug, my clonk always wanted to run to the left. I could make him stop via controls, but once I stopped pressing buttons he ran to the left, again and again, until he died in the abyss.

Hut should just be decoration, the other thing is really hard to reproduce and very annoying indeed, I also had this a few times, and to counteract sometimes, clicking with the mouse a lot and changing clonks helped.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2014-07-22 16:39
I'd make the gap between the two cliffs smaller. Even if you manage to get the catapult to the cliff it has to stand like on the very last pixel to make the jump. It should be enough to get the catapult somewhat near the cliff to make the jump.
Parent - By Sven2 Date 2014-07-22 17:19
I think then it becomes very easy to just jump over the cliff with some loam?
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2014-07-28 11:34
I think you can get out of that condition by pressing the left button, btw. Not beautiful.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2014-07-22 12:29

> By the way, awful catapult controls, I tried  grabbing it but was always getting the building behind. This was really confusing. So since we could not transport the catapult I shot pluto from the workshop position, and right into the abyss. This marks the end of our glory try. Mission failed.

You can select the interaction target on the bottom bar (there should be an icon list of all available targets). Deciding which objects are listed first etc. isn't an easy job. In your specific situation, you wanted the catapult of course. But listing vehicles always before building might be as annoying in other situations.
Btw, you don't need to click the interaction icons. Hold down space and pressing the number key is also feasible. Just pressing space is simply a shortcut for Space + 1.
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2014-07-22 16:46

>Hold down space and pressing the number key is also feasible.

Not without breaking your fingers. I'd rather just scroll through all the interaction options with the mousewheel, maybe space + mousewheel. Or, when you press space in front of more than one thing list the things in a pop up menu and move the selection to the wanted thing with A + D.
Parent - By Sven2 Date 2014-07-22 17:20

> In the end, we got the idea with the catapult. And shooting clonks. However, since we had holes from exploding and digging, we couldn't transport the catapult anywhere.

It might make sense to put the production facility for the catapult to the left so you cannot ruin your path.

> By the way, awful catapult controls, I tried  grabbing it but was always getting the building behind. This was really confusing. So since we could not transport the catapult I shot pluto from the workshop position, and right into the abyss. This marks the end of our glory try. Mission failed.

The priority should be fixed so stuff that is in front will also be grabbed first. Also, ungrabbing must always have highest priority.
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2014-07-26 12:32
Idea to integrate into storyline:
* Game starts with everyone on the left, mining people ask to assist with engine problems on the elevator (e.g. in exchange for fuel to continue voyage on plane)
* Some accident happens that causes the local wind generator to burn and mining people get hurt
* Players promise to help. But they have no tools, so they have to go right to the village where the mission continues as it starts now
Parent - - By boni [at] Date 2014-07-27 13:10

>Shortly after occurred a bug, my clonk always wanted to run to the left.

That has occured to me in several games. I think it has to do with direct(X) input. Usually happens when you have left/right/direction pressed and then open a menu, like the player-menu. Usually fixable by doing the same again, but it's really random. (Often happened to me when I had a key pressed and opened the steam overlay in other games, for example)
So, probably not directly an OC bug ;)
Parent - By Fluff [gb] Date 2014-07-27 22:00

>I think it has to do with direct(X) input.
>So, probably not directly an OC bug ;)

Pun intended?
- By Maikel Date 2014-07-26 10:13
Some more feedback:

* the clonks which shall be rescued can be killed.
* why do you get a musket in one of the chests?
* it would be good to have an additional wind generator or power plant, so that your settlement is not limited by power.
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Some Feedback on Mine Rescue (stable)