Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Community / Player Creations / The story of Harkon
- - By Randrian [de] Date 2014-11-20 22:40
Dear folks of OC,
some of you might know my project "Die Geschichte von Harkon" (The story of Harkon) for CR. I now decided that it is time to switch to Open Clonk and started to "port" the first chapter to Open Clonk. The current status of the projekt (and a first OC screensho ;-) ) can be seen on the clonkforge project page http://clonkforge.net/pr.php?pr=1415 . I want to use the OC Forum to give every now and then some updates on the development and discus some questions of how some things can be best ported to Open Clonk.
Some things I am already uncertain about are:
What I should to the the entries of the context menu (hide the clonk, Quicksave/Quickload)?
There probably isn't a possibility to include animations of the standard clonk in a derived clonk (like the assassin, knights, mages, ect.) and append some animations to the clonk?
Are there some good conversion scripts around which can for example port an act map?
I will definitively come up with more questions and topics of discussion ;-)
Parent - By Maikel Date 2014-11-21 09:58
Great news that this project will be ported to OC (especially now that the lights branch is coming together, it might be the perfect showcase because of the atmosphere).

The context menu can be hidden under a new key which opens a menu with some options. I think there is already some explanation somewhere here in the forum on how to set that up (adding new keys for a scenario or folder).

I donĀ“t know of any scripts for the ActMap (I think you need to do this by hand, since also quite some functionality has changed or has been removed).
Parent - - By Anonymous [de] Date 2014-11-21 11:01
Clonk animations: I think you should contribute the extra animations to our default clonk. Animations are cheap memory-wise and they are very helpful e.g. when putting life into NPCs.
The different clonk types can be realized as skins of course.

For stuff like helmets, hats, capes etc. It would be cool to outsource them into attached submeshes since it allows recombination to create more variety in NPCs.

I think Guenther has an actmap conversion script.

context menu entries: just implement them as custom keys. E.g. F5/F6 for quicksave/quickload. No need to create a menu for that.
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [us] Date 2014-11-21 15:52

>  Clonk animations: I think you should contribute the extra animations to our default clonk. Animations are cheap memory-wise and they are very helpful e.g. when putting life into NPCs.

We could also think about merging skeleton files, then we could add animations for the Clonk from multiple skeleton files.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2014-11-21 16:03
that would be really great - especially since not everyone will always be able to merge their animations into the official Clonk skeleton
Parent - - By Marky [de] Date 2014-11-21 17:56
Yes, that's what I wanted for a long time.

Also, what happens if I have a submesh with the Clonk skeleton and attach it to a Clonk? Will the vertices move with the Clonk animations?
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [us] Date 2014-11-21 18:03

> Also, what happens if I have a submesh with the Clonk skeleton and attach it to a Clonk? Will the vertices move with the Clonk animations?

I don't think I understand the question. A submesh in OGRE parlance is a part of a single mesh, multiple submeshes can for example be used to use different materials for different parts of the mesh. But (in Clonk) you can only attach meshes to a other meshes, not submeshes. When you attach a "hat" mesh to the "clonk" mesh, then yes, the hat will move along with the clonk if the clonk moves its head. But I'm not sure if this is the question you were asking?

By the way, with additional skeleton files, only new animations could be added to an existing mesh, but not new bones. So if you need new bones, the original skeleton (and mesh) have to be altered. The reason for this is that the assignment of vertices to bones is defined in the mesh, not the skeleton (even though the bones themselves are defined in the skeleton... it's a bit confusing).
Parent - - By Marky [de] Date 2014-11-21 18:38
Yes, the example with the hat is easy. But usually a hat does not have multiple bones. So you attach the hat bone to the Clonk's head bone (or hand, if you want him to carry it in his hand).

But what about a cape or new set of pants, armor, etc? This would have to move just like the Clonk does, so the vertices are assigned to multiple bones.

Imagine the Clonk skeleton, but the mesh is for example a knight's armor (just the amor parts, no parts that would be visible on the current clonk). I want to create a new object, the graphics consist of this armor model. Then I want to attach it to a Clonk and have it have the same animation as the clonk at all times.
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [us] Date 2014-11-21 22:05
Thanks, that makes it clear. Basically what you would want is that you have a model which (at least partly) has the same skeleton as the clonk, and then when you attach it to the Clonk (for example the armor at the torso?), it would take the animation state from the Clonk. I don't think that's possible at the moment, but it sounds like it could be implemented. I'll be busy with the lights branch for another while, but could have a look at it afterwards. In the meantime it might be helpful if you file a bug about it.
Parent - - By Marky [de] Date 2014-11-21 23:10
Yes, that is it. With some help I could probably implement it myself, but it's not a pressing issue anyway.
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [us] Date 2014-11-24 21:21
If you want to give it a try let me know, and I'll help you where I can.
Parent - - By Marky [de] Date 2014-11-26 20:49 Edited 2014-11-26 21:31
At the moment I am stuck at compiling the sources. My Visual Studio trial expired, so I tried using MinGW with the tutorial http://wiki.openclonk.org/w/Building_with_MinGW. I fail at the step cmake . -G"MSYS Makefiles", because it cannot find the cmake command. The link for the precompiled dependencies on http://oli-obk.de/clonk_mingw_deps.zip is down.

Update: Got cmake to be recognised.
Update2: Now cmake is running, but generates errors on one of the commands.
Parent - - By Luchs [de] Date 2014-11-26 23:07
Did you try the Visual Studio Community edition? (That's obviously not going to help if it's a cmake issue)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2014-11-26 23:22
Is that the new name for Microsoft Visual C++? This one was always free iirc.
Parent - By Luchs [de] Date 2014-11-26 23:55
The previous free edition was called "Express". I believe the main feature of the new Community edition is that it allows installing plugins which was previously restricted to the payed versions.
Parent - - By Link-Mario [de] Date 2014-11-27 10:06
This Visual Studio Community Edition is a collection of all former called "Express" editions, including the feature of using plugins, to be more precise.
This means, you can use C, C++, C# and all other languages as if this edition were a paid version, but it is Open Source under MIT license.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2014-11-27 13:04

>but it is Open Source under MIT license.

Wow, ...Microsoft!
Parent - By Marky [de] Date 2014-11-26 23:30
Thanks. CMake was not the issue, with it worked with the VS2012 version.
Parent - By Marky [de] Date 2014-11-27 11:24
Running into problems already. I suggest handling the rest of the discussion in http://bugs.openclonk.org/view.php?id=1177#bugnotes
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2014-11-21 17:52
A trick I learned from Peter ist to make an entry MaterialZoom=x in the landscape section of scenario.txt to make materials sharper. I think the default zoom is 4... Increasing it helps to keep textures sharp even when the player zooms far in.

Just thought that would be nice to know for a RPG since it has to look good.
Parent - - By Mupf Date 2014-11-25 22:10
For me as a player, I think it would be best to have seperate Icons for saving/loading and a seperate key for hiding, also with regard to new players.
Also, was the idea ever discussed to include Harkon-like buildings in objects.ocd?
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2014-11-25 23:39

> Also, was the idea ever discussed to include Harkon-like buildings in objects.ocd?

Yes, in the German part of the forum: http://forum.openclonk.org/topic_show.pl?pid=26344#pid26344
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2014-11-27 14:17
Hi Randrian, some of the stuff in the screenshot looks like it could also be used as good decoration in some other OC scenarios. Are there parts which you would be willing to share, like the vines for example?

This could be committed to the main repos in the Decoration.ocd folder (which should contain only objects which don't have any functionality).
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2014-11-27 21:42
The plan also definitively is to help OpenClonk move forward with the pack. But I would prefer to publish the objects with a Harkon release and only afterwards commit some of the deco stuff to the repos.
I need to retain some cool things to make the Harkon release cool ;-)
Parent - By Maikel Date 2014-11-27 21:48
No problems if it comes only later ;)
Parent - Date 2014-11-30 23:45
Parent - - By Zeer [de] Date 2016-06-07 07:18
hi sounds very very interesting. unfortunately clonkforge appears to be down all the time. is this still to come?

Jonathan
Parent - - By Foaly [de] Date 2016-06-07 07:34
Parent - - By Zeer [de] Date 2016-06-07 07:43
thank you very much,

but this link is down... any way to get it somewhere else?

i wonder why this scenario isn't on ccan or at least available to download in the forum? this seems like a big pack to me, which should be easy to find ;)

jonathan
Parent - - By Mupf [de] Date 2016-06-07 10:49
There were two chapters released in the past, both for Clonk Rage, not OpenClonk.
https://ccan.de/cgi-bin/ccan/ccan-view.pl?a=view&i=6038
https://ccan.de/cgi-bin/ccan/ccan-view.pl?a=view&i=6164
The OpenClonk version is still in development (or is it?)
Parent - - By Zeer [de] Date 2016-06-07 16:05
yes i know that. sorry if there was a missunderstanding, because this forum and this thread is about an OC version and i wondered if it ever was released. but looks like there aren't any news since 2014 :(
Parent - - By Mupf [de] Date 2016-06-07 16:56
Thats right, we're all waiting for signs of life for the OC version.
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2016-06-19 22:07
Yes, I am sorry, there I haven't worked on the project for a long time now. But showing some interest in the project is never a bad idea, because you might get me motivated again ;-)
Parent - By Mupf [de] Date 2016-06-19 23:49
I can't wait to play Harkon on OC, so feel free to be motivated ;)
Although I see that it's going to take time, considering all the Knights and M&M stuff Harkon CR is dependent on.
Parent - - By Dmyst [de] Date 2016-06-20 19:35
Would be nice if we could play it even if it's unfinished  :)
Parent - By Randrian [de] Date 2016-06-21 20:59
Well unfortunately it isn't very advanced yet and I haven't toughed it in a long time :-( Maybe I will get again some more time. Too many things that need their time.
Up Topic Community / Player Creations / The story of Harkon